cam

Town: Oxford & Falmouth
Boat name: Rescue
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 50hp 4 stroke
Honda or Yamaha?

Hi,

My RIB at the moment (Humber 5m Assault) has a 1996 Yamaha 50HP 4 stroke high thrust edition, I am wondering if it is worth selling that and upgrading to a 2005 Honda 90HP.

One of the reasons for doing this is that with 6 adults in the boat (out of the maximum of 10), it only just manages to get onto the plain with quite a lot of trimming involved.

I have heard from people at my sailing club that the Hondas are much more difficult and expensive to maintain which may be a problem because my dealer is very fussy about the type of outboard you bring for him to sort out.

Besides would I see any noticeable differences and what would be an acceptable price to pay for one?

Thanks!

~Cam
Old 15 November 2014, 22:17   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Kind of depends on your specific situation. I find it much easier to source Yam parts vs Honda parts here in California. Not really sure why that is, but it seems to be the case.

Find out if your nearby service guy prefers Honda or Yamaha (or ask at a couple of shops, in case one folds), and let that bias your opinion a bit. It would be a pain to have to go long distances for service.

jky