Click Here to Login

Old 01 June 2014, 04:28   #1

Town: Yellowknife CANADA
Make: Zodiac MkI & Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: OMC 2hp/15hp/60hp
Honda BF45 on 440 Hurricane problems

Hi,

I've taken my new to me 440 Hurricane out a few times now. I've been trying to figure out the right prop to use on it. It came with a 11x13 stainless steel prop that gave me 47kph at 6300rpm with WOT. It also happens that I spun the prop bushing on my last outing so I'll need to have that fixed. My new prop is a Solas 11x15, this unit give me 47kph at 5200rpm with WOT. I'm guessing that this means I need a 11x14 or should I just stick with one of the props I have?

Another issue I have is that the motor tends to stall when I try to accelerate, idles fine, but when I try to accelerate it dies. This issue seems to be getting worse, to begin with it would not die if I opened the throttle up slowly but it would die if I opened it quickly. Now it dies about 80% of the time when I open it up fast or slow. If I can get it to open up it runs at full power with no problems. When I stop it will still accelerate ok if I do it right away. If I troll or shut the motor of for a short while the problem comes back. It seems like if a pump the hell out of the fuel bulb while slowly opening the throttle it helps a bit and gets it going but the bulb is firm, not soft. Any ideas on what I should look at? Perhaps I should add the water is quite cold here, there is still ice floating about so I'd guess the water temp is a couple of degrees C.

Thanks.
Old 02 June 2014, 01:40   #2

Took the boat out on Great Slave again today, there is still ice floating around and the main lake is frozen. I played around with the throttle and choke and have found that if I start to accelerate and then pull the choke and relase it again just as the motor is about to stall it takes off and runs up to full power no problem. Also if I run WOT for a few minutes then drop off plane down to idle speed then open it up again it takes off ok. The problem reappears after the motor has been off or trolling for a short while. It almost seems like the motor could be too cold but I suspect some sort of carb issue.
Old 02 June 2014, 14:53   #3

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: N/a
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF9.9A
Sounds as if the fuel pump is playing up. By squeezing the fuel bulb, you are applying more fuel pressure than the pump is providing. The reason the fuel bulb feels hard is because the carb needle valves are doing their job correctly. Initially I would recommend stripping out the carbs and give the jets and passages good clean out and then an ultrasonic clean if at all possible.
Old 02 June 2014, 21:31   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Go with Milgrip's recommendation to look at the fuel pump. Remove the two screws that hold the fuel pump to the cylinder. With the engine running, pull the fuel pump away, it will splutter (pump the primer bulb) and see if fuel comes out on the reverse of the fuel pump which will indicate you need a new pump or diaphragm kit. Also check the primer bulb itself and that the fuel hose connectors snap to the engine and fuel tank satisfactorily. I've experienced issues with corroded fuel connections before, on a Tohatsu admittedly, but results were exactly the same.

I'd also check the fuel for water (condensation) given your fluctuating temperatures, and that the filter on the engine is nice and clean. Is the fuel new or old? Try draining the fuel from the carbs (to check for contaminants) before you dismantle the carbs. Could be a stuck float or similar. If you do strip the carbs, don't adjust the pilot air fuel mixture screws.

When does summer start in Yellowknife?
Old 05 June 2014, 18:21   #5

It was summer by this time last year but it seems to be cooler this year and the ice on the late reached over 2m in thickness so it takes awhile to melt. The local coast guard unit thinks there will still be ice on the lake into July.
Old 05 June 2014, 20:37   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage View Post
The local coast guard unit thinks there will still be ice on the lake into July.
Don't tell me: Winter starts in August, right?

jky
Old 23 June 2014, 04:46   #7

I've been trying a few things with the motor. Turns out an 14 pitch prop is perfect with the motor reaching 5900 rpm at WOT with a regular load in it. The 15 pitch prop was ok with just myself in the boat but could only reach 5500 with my wife and fishing gear with me.

I've adjusted the carbs a bit, used carb cleaner in the gas and sprayed into the carbs with the motor running. An I found that the thermostat was stuck in the wide open position, I put a new one in. The motor is running much better now but it still tends to stumble and sometimes stall right at about 1800 rpm when accelerating. A second of choke or moving the throttle up and down a bit when it tries to stall usually gets it past this point then it runs fine up to WOT.

Related to the thermostat I found a bit of rubber under it that looks like a bit of impeller. I have been thinking that the tattle tail stream seemed a bit weak. Might have a look at this next while wondering what to do with the stalling issue.