Old 03 September 2012, 08:44   #1

Town: Melbourne
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150
Honda BF150 cut out, plus possible oil leak

Hi, was hoping someone with a bit more experience of these things could offer some advice.

Engine is a BF150 - installed new in December 2010

Had a near miss yesterday reversing into a marina pen, was going slightly brisker than normal to offset the effects of a crosswind and started to apply forward thrust to slow down, my wife stepped onto the pontoon as we came alongside and I needed to apply a bit more forward thrust to come to a stop and as I did so, the engine cut out. Wife was able to hold onto the ropes and prevent the boat from hitting the back of the pen. It restarted immediately and ran smoothly on idle and revved ok. Not had this sort of thing before and don't like the the thought of further cut outs. Wondered if there were any thoughts as to possible causes.

A contributing factor may be a recent cylinder head replacement. Fairly major surgery and could cause a few additional issues if not all back to factory condition.

I've not used the engine much in the past 3 or 4 months since this work was done, maybe only 4 or 5 hours. It had been leaking oil from the head gasket. Cause of oil leak was uncertain, cylinder head and gasket were both replaced as a precaution although the old head apparently looked ok but Honda did not want it skimming. I can still see a bit of fresh oil around the gasket and traces on the engine block just above the oil filter. I also seem to have a minor oil slick around the engine when back at the marina and flushing out through the flush port.
Old 03 September 2012, 11:21   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

This could be a few things but as it is under warranty I would ask the local Honda dealer to have look as this would not cost you anything. Oh and if you do anything yourself it could Jeopardise the warranty so I would not risk it.

Good luck

Dave
Old 05 September 2012, 23:33   #3

Town: Melbourne
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 150
Thanks for the reply Dave. I'll take it up with the dealer after I get back from an overseas trip. Just wanted to check if there was a set of circumstances that could lead to a safety over ride type cutout and I'd inadvertently triggered that. I'll find out what the dealer says next month.
Old 08 September 2012, 03:46   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Not a safety override. AFAIK, Honda's will cut back to limp home mode, but won't shut down.

Sounds like a "one of those weird mixture problem" things.

Just my opinion;

jky