Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 29 February 2016, 15:54   #1

Town: Argyll
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Honda BF100 VTEC vs Suzuki DF90A

Hello,
I'm in the market for a 'new' outboard and have the option of either a Honda BF100 VTEC or the Suzuki DF90A (both 4 stroke ~1.5L 4 cylinder)

Current engine is an old carb 2-stroke 100hp at 163kg dry weight. on a 5.5m. Tornado used for diving and family boating, though previously had a Yam 90 carb 2 stroke which was OK but noticed the extra 10hp.

I would appreciate any experience anyone has with either engine, or a comparison, especially of how the VTEC affects power band and cruise efficiency.

With the Suzuki I'd be dropping 10hp (albeit the existing engine is 20 years old so probably less than 100hp by now!) but also losing 10kg off the transom.

The Honda gives a 6 year warranty, the Suzuki a 5 year one.

It's the VTEC aspect I'm unsure about - wondering if the VTEC on the honda is going to work in my favour- where in the rev range does it kick in?

If I'm coming up to the plane with a boat full of divers I'm WOT and only just up to 5000 revs, then back to 4200 cruise on a 17" 4 blade ali prop at present. or powering up waves in rough sea full of weight, I want the power in the lower/mid rev range rather than kicking in at 5000 revs, otherwise I'll have to under-prop the engine just to get at the power.

When I'm just out with the family I stick a 19" SS prop on and cruise at 4200 and 25kts quite happily, therefore want the efficiency at the cruise rev range.

Thoughts and experiences welcomed, thankyou for any input