Old 29 June 2007, 15:19   #1

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Honda 90 - whats it worth, ball park figure?

Guys,

What do you think a used Honda 90 is worth?

It has full service history. The motors a 1999 model. Longshaft. Not sure about the hours but i beleive it to be low. Since i have use it in the last 3 years i have done about 100hrs. Theres a few scuff's on the paint work but nothing much; looks tidy.

I would sell the engine, trim/tilt and console control together.

It never let let me down or missed a heart beat and seems very economical.

Hows the best place to sell it; given that it on my rib? - e-bay and let the winnner dissemble or via some dealer/broker?

Best price?
worst price?
Old 29 June 2007, 15:23   #2

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i think you should be able to get between 3-4k, depending on hours, condition etc, i had calls for mine at just under 4k but it was in perfect condition as new
i put it on boats and outboards, withdrew it as i sold it with the boat. i was thinking of selling it and buying a hon 25 to go on the boat as a river only boat

back then they would have been around 7k new

oops, hightower has prompted me to mention i had mine advertised last year around this time. it did not sell as i withdrew it but i did get calls. if yours is a good condition engine then aim high as some dealers have some crappy old tat that they charge the earth for...i would try at 3.5k and see if you get any takers/interest but if you are in a hurry then aim for 2.5-3k
Old 29 June 2007, 16:15   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Yeh as Chris says, Boats and Outboards is a terriffic free resource that has to be used.

As for price....Hmm

It's an 8 year old motor.

Buy all means advertise it at a silly price, you might be lucky and get a bite staight away. I would have thought that £2-3K more like it for a faster sale. I bought a 2001, 90 4 stroke for £3250 with low hours and full history and that was 2 years ago and from a dealer. The 150 DI 2005 I've bought from Power tech with 30 hrs running and 15 months warranty left for a little over £4k

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 17:59   #4

two on boats and outboards currently, one 3k for 98 model and other 3.6k

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/p...x=0&Submit.y=0
Old 29 June 2007, 18:55   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
A good formula for valuation is to take the new price, say £7,000 then deduct 20% because you lose around 20% on something as soon as you take it out of the shop then deduct 10% for every year after.

i.e £7,000- 20% =£5,600 1st year
-10%= £5,000 2nd year
-10%=£4,500 3rd year
-10%=£4,000 4th year
and so on
so on this formula your engine would now be worth about £3,000 if it was £7,000 new that is. of coarse you have to take into consideration engine hours and condition which adds value or decreases it. Don't take this system as a rule though only a guide.
Old 29 June 2007, 19:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
A good formula for valuation is to take the new price, say £7,000 then deduct 20% because you lose around 20% on something as soon as you take it out of the shop then deduct 10% for every year after.

i.e £7,000- 20% =£5,600 1st year
-10%= £5,000 2nd year
-10%=£4,500 3rd year
-10%=£4,000 4th year
and so on
so on this formula your engine would now be worth about £3,000 if it was £7,000 new that is. of coarse you have to take into consideration engine hours and condition which adds value or decreases it. Don't take this system as a rule though only a guide.

then add a bit on cos its a honda and they have good resale

when i was selling my previous boat that is something similar to what someone said to me about boats and how i should value mine......er dont think so

if i had followed his advice instead of my gut instincts i would have been out of pocket to the tune of £5000-6000 compared to what i sold it for. ie 33% out of pocket.

best advice i can give is phone up the two for sale, see if sold and if they did how much for, if not sold how long they have been up for...do your own market research

when folks sell something and they say...it was fab....i had loads of calls...in fact i still get em.....first person who saw it bought it...........my view is they sold it too cheap. if i get one call and that person buys it i think i have the price spot on especially if it takes 2-3 weeks to sell or more......just my view
Old 29 June 2007, 19:32   #7

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Thanks guys,

excellent information and ideas...ill start looking around....

Mark
Old 29 June 2007, 19:40   #8

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Yer i know second hand goods don't have any set value, getting as much as you can for something though is a fine art thats takes some practice.
Old 30 June 2007, 17:00   #9

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
If you want to get rid of it quickly, I'll give you £1500 for it
Old 30 June 2007, 20:48   #10

Town: Inverness
Make: Ribtec
Hi Mark,

Could be interested, what rib do you currently have your 90 on? I am looking for a newer more economical engine for my Ribtec 585, currently have an old Mariner 135hp 2-stroke that's killing me with fuel bills (~1.3litres per mile!). What kind of economy and performance are you getting from it?

Cheers!
Neil
Old 30 June 2007, 20:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigNeil View Post
Hi Mark,

Could be interested, what rib do you currently have your 90 on? I am looking for a newer more economical engine for my Ribtec 585, currently have an old Mariner 135hp 2-stroke that's killing me with fuel bills (~1.3litres per mile!). What kind of economy and performance are you getting from it?

Cheers!
Neil
How could you go from a 135 to a 90?
Old 01 July 2007, 07:30   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
bigNeil, without knowing what you use the boat for and speaking from my own perspective I would have thought If you run a 90 on the ribcraft you would probably find you are WOT the whole time which would mean fuel consupmption not dissimilar to what you ar getting at the moment.

I would have thought a fourstroke similar in size to what you have at the moment would be a better bet?

Chris
Old 01 July 2007, 08:42   #13

Thanks for your thoughts Chris. Don't want to hijack the thread.

The current 135 is too much for the boat. At 43 knots WOT 5300rpm, the boat feels very skittish even 4 up. Don't do waterskiing or anything that needs that amount of grunt.

I mainly use the boat for low speed sailing and marine wildlife photography, and cruising the west coast of Scotland. Hence would be looking for an ultra reliable, economic, second hand (the hull is almost 20 years old, silly to put a new one on for poss resale value) 4 stroke that can cruise at about 25 knots 3-up, and is happy to idle all day.

The transom is the weak point, a previous repair along the top edge is failing again, so plan is to redo the transom over the winter and slap a not too heavy 4 stroke on (also, transom is quite low anyway, so lighter engine = better).
Old 01 July 2007, 10:17   #14

i can guarantee that the honda 90 will troll all day and night and not miss a heart beat, we would use ours on the river thames for upto 8 hours a day and never ever had an issue. nice and quite too for that stuff.
Old 01 July 2007, 10:50   #15

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
bigNeil, without knowing what you use the boat for and speaking from my own perspective I would have thought If you run a 90 on the ribcraft you would probably find you are WOT the whole time which would mean fuel consupmption not dissimilar to what you ar getting at the moment.

I would have thought a fourstroke similar in size to what you have at the moment would be a better bet?

Chris
Totally, or perhaps a 115 Suzook. With a 90 on there you're in danger of ending up with a bit of a pup with very little re-sale value.
Old 01 July 2007, 11:26   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Totally, or perhaps a 115 Suzook. With a 90 on there you're in danger of ending up with a bit of a pup with very little re-sale value.
Yep, you may be right, but there seems like quite a few Honda 90s around at the moment, and they have a good reputation up here with the fish farmers!
Old 01 July 2007, 12:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Mollers! - Don't those Ribtecs go well with 90hp down your way?

With due respect to BigNeil, the boat sounds like it's getting a bit tired, so resale value probably isn't that high, in any case.
Old 01 July 2007, 13:54   #18

Town: Near Bristol
Boat name: Titch ll
Make: Ribtec 5.85
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235054217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Mollers! - Don't those Ribtecs go well with 90hp down your way?

With due respect to BigNeil, the boat sounds like it's getting a bit tired, so resale value probably isn't that high, in any case.
BigNeil
I bought my Ribtec 585 with a mariner 75HP on the back (Coastguard Spec) and it went fine, I think the Honda 90 would be ideal for what you want.

My transom is Max rated to 120 so as you say your current 135 likely to be too big anyway.
Old 01 July 2007, 15:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwin View Post
BigNeil
I bought my Ribtec 585 with a mariner 75HP on the back (Coastguard Spec) and it went fine, I think the Honda 90 would be ideal for what you want.

My transom is Max rated to 120 so as you say your current 135 likely to be too big anyway.
Thanks John, yep the transom's had a hard life with the grunt and 185kgs of the Mariner. I think a 90 will be a good compromise.

Out of interest, what was the top speed of your 585/75 combo?
Old 01 July 2007, 15:50   #20

Town: Near Bristol
Boat name: Titch ll
Make: Ribtec 5.85
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235054217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigNeil View Post
Thanks John, yep the transom's had a hard life with the grunt and 185kgs of the Mariner. I think a 90 will be a good compromise.

Out of interest, what was the top speed of your 585/75 combo?
I would guess it was about 33-35 knots, I get 39+ on the current set up