Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 April 2012, 13:05   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kendal
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 75
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Honda 75

I have a six year old Honda 75 which has never missed a beat ...until now. It starts perfectly when cold but after stopping for an hour to dive, it is sometimes reluctant - or refuses outright! Once started it then runs perfectly. If the stop time is only a few minutes it starts straight away. Has anyone experienced similar problems or have any ideas?
__________________

__________________
osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2012, 18:18   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Does it make any difference if you use the primer bulb after its sat.?
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2012, 01:39   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 562
Hi

its our day today off so please call the workshop on Tuesday and if you can after 11.00 and ask for Cameron and he will help you.

Dave
__________________
clydeoutboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2012, 07:02   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kendal
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 75
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Does it make any difference if you use the primer bulb after its sat.?
It does need priming when in the past it probably didnt. The last but one time I had a problem though it it wouldn't fire no matter what (fortunately I was alongside on Eigg). I checked fuel was getting through, changed tanks, changed plugs (good spark) and turned it over until the battery started to discharge. I then manually gave it throttle on the linkage at the engine and it fired. I convinced myself this had been the problem and thought the linkage was sticking. I had no further issues until after diving off Skye and we were back to square one. This time it wouldn't start at all. After going through the same process I left it for another hour and it started first time. When it is running it is fine. If you have any ideas I would really appreciate them!
regards

Chris
__________________
osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2012, 07:04   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kendal
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 75
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi

its our day today off so please call the workshop on Tuesday and if you can after 11.00 and ask for Cameron and he will help you.

Dave

Thanks for that - I don't have anyone locally that I feel knows enough about Hondas to be able to sort it out so I will call tomorrow.

Chris
__________________
osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2012, 08:49   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey View Post
It does need priming when in the past it probably didnt. The last but one time I had a problem though it it wouldn't fire no matter what (fortunately I was alongside on Eigg). I checked fuel was getting through, changed tanks, changed plugs (good spark) and turned it over until the battery started to discharge. I then manually gave it throttle on the linkage at the engine and it fired. I convinced myself this had been the problem and thought the linkage was sticking. I had no further issues until after diving off Skye and we were back to square one. This time it wouldn't start at all. After going through the same process I left it for another hour and it started first time. When it is running it is fine. If you have any ideas I would really appreciate them!
regards

Chris
i had similar a similar problem with an Evinrude a few years back and after chasing loads of ghosts I eventually found it was down to the battery cables and battery not being up to the job. Make sure all your connections are clean and strong and the battery has plenty of grunt.

Modern engines have a lot of electronics that suck down the juice and without a good battery they wont work properly even though the engine is turning over..

Otherwise if you have tried different fuel tanks then perhaps its worth testing a different fuel line up to the engine and then check the filters etc (if there are any). If you elminate Fuel as a potential issue then coils, wiring faults etc would be my next port of call.

Good Luck
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2012, 15:48   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kendal
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 75
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks for that - I had assumed that if there was enough oomph to turn it over there would be enough to start it - the battery is a few years old so I will change it and see what happens. I will then move onto coils etc because i think i have eliminated fuel. My only thought was that one of the carbs may be blocked, but I think it would fire on two anyway. Am I right? I appreciate the help and will let you know if I break down again! (just in case, I am buying a 4hp Yam tomorrow to replace the 20 year old Evinrude standby I have been using).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
i had similar a similar problem with an Evinrude a few years back and after chasing loads of ghosts I eventually found it was down to the battery cables and battery not being up to the job. Make sure all your connections are clean and strong and the battery has plenty of grunt.

Modern engines have a lot of electronics that suck down the juice and without a good battery they wont work properly even though the engine is turning over..

Otherwise if you have tried different fuel tanks then perhaps its worth testing a different fuel line up to the engine and then check the filters etc (if there are any). If you elminate Fuel as a potential issue then coils, wiring faults etc would be my next port of call.

Good Luck
__________________

__________________
osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.