Old 17 June 2005, 22:34   #1

Town: Lopez, Washington
Boat name: Searider 4m
Make: Avon
Length: 4 M
Engine: 45 hp Honda 4 stroke
Honda 50 issues

Hey fellows, been absent for a while, but have been having some issues with the Honda 50 four stroke on my 4 m Searider.

The problem is that when its idling, or cruising along at a slow RPM, it acts liek its not getting fuel, the head is shaking, it will stall out under load, etc. If I can get it into gear and hit the gas and get up on plane, the engine runs fine and has normal power and speed.

I've tried a few different gas tanks, with no avail. If I can pump the bulb long and hard enough, sometimes it will start running fine and smooth like its supposed to, for a few seconds, then back to normal. Is there a fuel filter that could be getting clogged? It seems like if this were the case it wouldn't be running fine up on plane?

Another problem that I don't think could be related is that my shift linkage cable has a kink or something in it, so i am replacing that this afternoon. This makes it very hard to shift etc. This dosen't seem like it could be related as the other issue seems to be a fuel supply issue.

Thanks a lot guys! Happy Boating!
Old 18 June 2005, 11:12   #2

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
Sounds like either a clogged pipe/filter/needle to me or otherwise a mixture control mistake (screw), but if you haven't touched it.. no idea...

Take the fuel filter out, give it a clean, place it back in.

Is this an engine with carbs or is it injection?

What it could be is that the pump cant create enough pressure (Because of a blockage) to keep the chamber in the carb (if it is a carb) full, resulting in a lean mix (hence the hunting and shuddering), and then it running out.
Will it start straight after again? or do you need to pump the bulb?

As soon as you rev the engine it will use the high speed needle i believe. (which efficively bypasses, and increases the "idle" fuel flow) Correct me if im wrong.
If cleaning the filter doesn't help, and it is a carb model, try cleaning out the carb, making sure the high speed needle and such is clean, and has no buildups e.g. varnish in it.

Keep us updated!

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 18 June 2005, 23:14   #3

Town: Lopez, Washington
Boat name: Searider 4m
Make: Avon
Length: 4 M
Engine: 45 hp Honda 4 stroke
thanks for the help.

It is a carb'd engine, 3 cylinders and a carb for each cylinder. The fact that it has 3 different carbs makes me think that its not in the carbs, otherwise only one of them would be clogged or out of adjustment, not causing it to run THIS bad... I'm guessing that there is a filter in the head, between the carbs and the fuel inlet, ill have to trace the fuel line out and see if I can find it. I have not touched any adjustments so i'm hesitant to believe that its any mixture/idle screws that are off.

I installed the new control cables, to find that while the controls are smooth and prefect now, the cables are just a tad too short, not allowing me to turn all the way to the left, BLAST! I have to take the cables back out and trade them in for ones that are another foot or so longer... Nothing ever comes easy does it... grrr.

Well thanks for your help!
happy boating!

Brian
Old 19 June 2005, 17:27   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Hi Brian

I've got a Honda 50 and generally service it myself. I managed to get the proper Honda workshop manual for it. It sounds to me as though your idle speed may be a little bit too low hence the juddering at low rpm. There is one screw at the bottom linkage which connects all carbs together to control overall idle speed. Do you have a tacho on yours. if so I think idle should be somewhere around 850-900 rpm. I've found the carbs very sensitive to adjustment, both mixture and balancing.

Good luck

Keith