Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 April 2012, 14:39   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: truro cornwall
Boat name: lydia
Make: seahawk
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 40 hp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Also just want to add, yes I considered buying a second hand Honda/yam etc, but for the money I paid im getting new, unmolested warrantied motor as opposed to someones hopefully- but no guarantee- 'honest' details of low use, never let me down etc...... well I would rather buy new and Know for definate it will be looked after, properly serviced, regular oil changes etc, and not beat to death, scuffed, been overheated in the past!
If money was no object then I probably would have bought a more common brand, but I simply can't justify the prices for a hobby when I have a young family to support!!
__________________

__________________
tommyd181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 14:45   #32
Member
 
thestig1973's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 490
Agreed, yeah you'll know the engines history

Sounds like a wise choice, even though I opted for used, you do have some good arguments for buying new unmolested with warranty
__________________

__________________
thestig1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 14:49   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: truro cornwall
Boat name: lydia
Make: seahawk
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 40 hp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Thankyou stig! I am not trying to make out im wise- far from it, just weighed up the options, and for me this was the best. happy boating to all, gladly tow anyone in with my hidea motor lol.....
__________________
tommyd181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 15:34   #34
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd181 View Post
but for the money I paid im getting new, unmolested warrantied motor as opposed to someones hopefully- but no guarantee- 'honest' details of low use, never let me down etc...... well I would rather buy new and Know for definate it will be looked after, properly serviced, regular oil changes etc, and not beat to death, scuffed, been overheated in the past!
Dude, I hear ya!
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 15:49   #35
Member
 
Kernow Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd181 View Post
Thankyou stig! I am not trying to make out im wise-
We knew that Tommy, your from Truro !

Welcome to Ribnet, you've certainly got a good response to your first post!
__________________
Kernow Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 15:59   #36
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd181 View Post
Also just want to add, yes I considered buying a second hand Honda/yam etc, but for the money I paid im getting new, unmolested warrantied motor as opposed to someones hopefully- but no guarantee- 'honest' details of low use, never let me down etc...... well I would rather buy new and Know for definate it will be looked after, properly serviced, regular oil changes etc, and not beat to death, scuffed, been overheated in the past!
If money was no object then I probably would have bought a more common brand, but I simply can't justify the prices for a hobby when I have a young family to support!!
Fair comment.That's one thing I hate about buying used-I almost always end up cursing the previous owner of anything I buy 'cause I like things to be done properly.

I'd be interested to hear how it fares corrosion wise once you've used it for a couple of years more.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 16:45   #37
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Seeing as you're diving in, I believe La Corbière is nice at the moment.
I'd stick to your own apple pressings if I were you

*this advice has fook all to do with engines* for the avoidance of doubt
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 16:57   #38
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
*this advice has fook all to do with engines*
It has fook all to do with my post either - I want him in the Drink, not a drink...

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 19:12   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: truro cornwall
Boat name: lydia
Make: seahawk
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 40 hp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow Buoy View Post
We knew that Tommy, your from Truro !

Welcome to Ribnet, you've certainly got a good response to your first post!
lol thankyou Kernow buoy........although I live in cornwall, im not cornish!
I am rather enjoying the forum so far, my missus just doesn't understand boating!!
__________________
tommyd181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 19:16   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: truro cornwall
Boat name: lydia
Make: seahawk
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 40 hp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Fair comment.That's one thing I hate about buying used-I almost always end up cursing the previous owner of anything I buy 'cause I like things to be done properly.

I'd be interested to hear how it fares corrosion wise once you've used it for a couple of years more.
Yes I agree, unfortunately it's rare to get the whole truth on anything secondhand.......and why are they selling it??!! I will definately keep useful updates of this thread to show progress and any problems in the future. cheers.
__________________

__________________
tommyd181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.