Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 September 2008, 01:57   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: San Francisco
Make: Aquapro Raider 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outbaord Yamaha 350
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Help with my f350

I have a single Yamaha F350 0n my Raider 900 Aqaupro center console rib. I get 50 mph out of it but am hitting the rev limiter before full throtlle. The prop now is a 16 1/2 19 what prop should I go to get more top end. The boat has more than enough power down low. I have looked at some of the yamaha performance buletins on their website and I saw a zodiac 20 man pro and they used a 15 1/2 21 and were getting 60 mph out of it.
__________________

__________________
RAIDER900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 09:55   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
If you are hitting the limiter early you need a higher pitch prop - say a 21 or even a 23". I would also go for a 4 blade with a heavy boat.

What sort of figures are you getting?

This is quite useful

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 01:26   #3
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: San Francisco
Boat name: Raider 900
Make: AquaPro New Zeland
Length: 9m +
Engine: OutBoard Yamaha 350
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
If you are hitting the limiter early you need a higher pitch prop - say a 21 or even a 23". I would also go for a 4 blade with a heavy boat.

What sort of figures are you getting?

This is quite useful

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
Well Ive tested two props now

16 1/4 19 pitch get me great punch and mid range I think due to the size and 54 mph top speed at 6000 rpm

15 1/2 21 pitch get me week low end grunt and weak midrange and the boat will only pull 5400 rpm and about 47 mph

I guess this is all Im going to get not many props to choose from for the 350. The boat really likes the larger diameter prop. What I think I need is a 16 1/4 with 21 pitch but it dosent exsist. Andy Ideas ??
__________________
USA35018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 09:04   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
How many blades on the prop?

Really 4 blades are great for that sort of setup - maybe even a 5 blade. You have so much torque it is hard for the prop to grip - thats why many sterndrives are now duo prop.

You could have a custom prop made or you could have the pitch altered on the one you already have.
__________________
www.speedshift.co.uk
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 02:16   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: San Francisco
Boat name: Raider 900
Make: AquaPro New Zeland
Length: 9m +
Engine: OutBoard Yamaha 350
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
How many blades on the prop?

Really 4 blades are great for that sort of setup - maybe even a 5 blade. You have so much torque it is hard for the prop to grip - thats why many sterndrives are now duo prop.

You could have a custom prop made or you could have the pitch altered on the one you already have.
I have a 3 blade Yamaha prop. Like I said the boat really likes the Larger prop 161/2 with 19 pitch
I like the low end and mid range of the prop the puts out but when I have a clean bottom
the boat wants to over rev to about 6200 rpm wide open throttle and 54 mph. I would love to lower the rpm down 5900 or 6000 at full throttle and pick up a few more mph of top speed.

Who are the best prop guys to build a custom prop for the f350 ? Is it unreasonable to be able to get 57 or 58 mph out of this set up ? Thanks for your help
__________________
USA35018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 03:03   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA35018 View Post
I have a 3 blade Yamaha prop. Like I said the boat really likes the Larger prop 161/2 with 19 pitch
I like the low end and mid range of the prop the puts out but when I have a clean bottom
the boat wants to over rev to about 6200 rpm wide open throttle and 54 mph. I would love to lower the rpm down 5900 or 6000 at full throttle and pick up a few more mph of top speed.

Who are the best prop guys to build a custom prop for the f350 ? Is it unreasonable to be able to get 57 or 58 mph out of this set up ? Thanks for your help
I would stick with the same style prop and just up the pitch by 2"
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 03:20   #7
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
I agree with Chris, more pitch and an extra blade for more grip if you need it, otherwise stick with the three bladers. Also move weight around the boat if you can to see what helps with speed, and if moving it back helps get a prop with more bow lift such as a Raker or Laser if it's speed you want.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 11:19   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I would stick with the same style prop and just up the pitch by 2"
He said they were unavailable.
__________________

__________________
www.speedshift.co.uk
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.