Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 June 2012, 15:33   #1
Member
 
masterfuji's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Lady B
Make: BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 4S 80hp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
Help! What did I do?

Ok so I am happy to tip away doing a few jobs on my outboard and all was going well until yesterday. I changed the impeller and gaskets and realised I had no marine grease for the bolts. Cutting a long story short I put the lower leg on temporary, got grease today and put it back on. I had in it fully and put on the nuts to hold it. It dropped the usual inch to the nut and I began tightening the nuts. Then it popped up as it had obvioulsy jammed against something (not a massive pop but enough to make me say Oh sh$t!) Anyway it all seemed fine until I bolted it up and sai I better make sure. I put in in reverse and the prop wont move (unless you are turning the engine with alot of pressure.) The problem is in forward you can turn the prop one way and it is like reverse but it moves easily with the sound like the sound an old card in bicycle spokes would make. This sound is coming from behind the prop.

What have I done? Any help would be appreciated. Teeth look fine on gear selector cogs and cant see anything else obvious!

Its a 2007 mariner 80 efi 4stroke.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
masterfuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 15:39   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: london
Boat name: jelly bean
Make: quicksilver 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: suzuki df 9.9
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfuji View Post
Ok so I am happy to tip away doing a few jobs on my outboard and all was going well until yesterday. I changed the impeller and gaskets and realised I had no marine grease for the bolts. Cutting a long story short I put the lower leg on temporary, got grease today and put it back on. I had in it fully and put on the nuts to hold it. It dropped the usual inch to the nut and I began tightening the nuts. Then it popped up as it had obvioulsy jammed against something (not a massive pop but enough to make me say Oh sh$t!) Anyway it all seemed fine until I bolted it up and sai I better make sure. I put in in reverse and the prop wont move (unless you are turning the engine with alot of pressure.) The problem is in forward you can turn the prop one way and it is like reverse but it moves easily with the sound like the sound an old card in bicycle spokes would make. This sound is coming from behind the prop.

What have I done? Any help would be appreciated. Teeth look fine on gear selector cogs and cant see anything else obvious!

Its a 2007 mariner 80 efi 4stroke.

Thanks

it`s in gear ??? you must have traped the selector rod
__________________

__________________
www.tlmarine.co.uk
guernseylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 15:41   #3
Member
 
masterfuji's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Lady B
Make: BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 4S 80hp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by guernseylee View Post
it`s in gear ??? you must have traped the selector rod
I can change gear easy enough on the front controls and it all feels normal. Also when it is in neutral the prop spins away freely!
__________________
masterfuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 15:57   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,157
In reverse the dog clutch locks into the gear but in forward it only locks one way so if the prop gets stuck on something it will give - so in forward gear the prop will slip in one direction - that'll be the noise you are hearing.

Drop the gearbox and make sure it's in neutral, you can try twisting it to see what I mean above, this gear box is a bugger to put on, lots of fine adjusting of the drive shaft and gear select.
__________________
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 15:59   #5
Redbay supporter
 
wiLlfish's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfuji View Post
What have I done?
Too putt itt blunntly, nuffink.

Ar yew shewer yew aint fromm cownty kerry
__________________
vowte willfIsh forr cheef ekserkewshener
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 16:02   #6
Member
 
masterfuji's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Lady B
Make: BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 4S 80hp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
In reverse the dog clutch locks into the gear but in forward it only locks one way so if the prop gets stuck on something it will give - so in forward gear the prop will slip in one direction - that'll be the noise you are hearing.

Drop the gearbox and make sure it's in neutral, you can try twisting it to see what I mean above, this gear box is a bugger to put on, lots of fine adjusting of the drive shaft and gear select.

Thanks Thomas. You are giving me hope! I am going to give it a quick check now again.

Also, is it normal to loose a little oil when you drop the leg? I did an oil change for engine oil and have not run the engine yet but this seems to loose it when the rod drops out of the engine? I know this happened when I first took it out and there is no way it was damaged at this point as this is the first service!

Thanks for your help!

Eoin
__________________
masterfuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 16:04   #7
Member
 
masterfuji's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Lady B
Make: BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 4S 80hp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
Too putt itt blunntly, nuffink.

Ar yew shewer yew aint fromm cownty kerry

Neh! I am cownty Cork buoy!
__________________
masterfuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 16:13   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,157
Just how tightly did you force it? You need to drop the gear box and report back, you shouldn't see engine oil on top of the gear box unless you split some - I have not much idea of the noisy end but have just completely stripped my 60efi gear box.
__________________
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 16:14   #9
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
Sounds normal to me.

Apart from the engine oil bit.
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 16:56   #10
Member
 
masterfuji's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Lady B
Make: BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 4S 80hp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Just how tightly did you force it? You need to drop the gear box and report back, you shouldn't see engine oil on top of the gear box unless you split some - I have not much idea of the noisy end but have just completely stripped my 60efi gear box.

I was tightening it with the ratchet but to be honest there was no a pile of force. Maybe the gear selector was not 100% and jumped in or something. I just dropped it and it seems like it does not rotate in reverse and only one direction in forward as per the idea of the previous posts.

As for the oil I am unsure. As I said previously I had changed the oil but this happened when I dropped the lower leg the first time. Not a pile of oil but still ebough to make you wonder. Once the leg is bag in it all looks fine again.

Fingers crossed. Any other ideas on any of it?

Thanks guys!
__________________

__________________
masterfuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.