Old 11 June 2012, 19:33   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Lady B
Make: BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 4S 80hp
Help! What did I do?

Ok so I am happy to tip away doing a few jobs on my outboard and all was going well until yesterday. I changed the impeller and gaskets and realised I had no marine grease for the bolts. Cutting a long story short I put the lower leg on temporary, got grease today and put it back on. I had in it fully and put on the nuts to hold it. It dropped the usual inch to the nut and I began tightening the nuts. Then it popped up as it had obvioulsy jammed against something (not a massive pop but enough to make me say Oh sh$t!) Anyway it all seemed fine until I bolted it up and sai I better make sure. I put in in reverse and the prop wont move (unless you are turning the engine with alot of pressure.) The problem is in forward you can turn the prop one way and it is like reverse but it moves easily with the sound like the sound an old card in bicycle spokes would make. This sound is coming from behind the prop.

What have I done? Any help would be appreciated. Teeth look fine on gear selector cogs and cant see anything else obvious!

Its a 2007 mariner 80 efi 4stroke.

Thanks
Old 11 June 2012, 19:39   #2

Town: london
Boat name: jelly bean
Make: quicksilver 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: suzuki df 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfuji View Post
Ok so I am happy to tip away doing a few jobs on my outboard and all was going well until yesterday. I changed the impeller and gaskets and realised I had no marine grease for the bolts. Cutting a long story short I put the lower leg on temporary, got grease today and put it back on. I had in it fully and put on the nuts to hold it. It dropped the usual inch to the nut and I began tightening the nuts. Then it popped up as it had obvioulsy jammed against something (not a massive pop but enough to make me say Oh sh$t!) Anyway it all seemed fine until I bolted it up and sai I better make sure. I put in in reverse and the prop wont move (unless you are turning the engine with alot of pressure.) The problem is in forward you can turn the prop one way and it is like reverse but it moves easily with the sound like the sound an old card in bicycle spokes would make. This sound is coming from behind the prop.

What have I done? Any help would be appreciated. Teeth look fine on gear selector cogs and cant see anything else obvious!

Its a 2007 mariner 80 efi 4stroke.

Thanks

it`s in gear ??? you must have traped the selector rod
Old 11 June 2012, 19:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guernseylee View Post
it`s in gear ??? you must have traped the selector rod
I can change gear easy enough on the front controls and it all feels normal. Also when it is in neutral the prop spins away freely!
Old 11 June 2012, 19:57   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
In reverse the dog clutch locks into the gear but in forward it only locks one way so if the prop gets stuck on something it will give - so in forward gear the prop will slip in one direction - that'll be the noise you are hearing.

Drop the gearbox and make sure it's in neutral, you can try twisting it to see what I mean above, this gear box is a bugger to put on, lots of fine adjusting of the drive shaft and gear select.
Old 11 June 2012, 19:59   #5
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfuji View Post
What have I done?
Too putt itt blunntly, nuffink.

Ar yew shewer yew aint fromm cownty kerry

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 20:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
In reverse the dog clutch locks into the gear but in forward it only locks one way so if the prop gets stuck on something it will give - so in forward gear the prop will slip in one direction - that'll be the noise you are hearing.

Drop the gearbox and make sure it's in neutral, you can try twisting it to see what I mean above, this gear box is a bugger to put on, lots of fine adjusting of the drive shaft and gear select.

Thanks Thomas. You are giving me hope! I am going to give it a quick check now again.

Also, is it normal to loose a little oil when you drop the leg? I did an oil change for engine oil and have not run the engine yet but this seems to loose it when the rod drops out of the engine? I know this happened when I first took it out and there is no way it was damaged at this point as this is the first service!

Thanks for your help!

Eoin
Old 11 June 2012, 20:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
Too putt itt blunntly, nuffink.

Ar yew shewer yew aint fromm cownty kerry

Neh! I am cownty Cork buoy!
Old 11 June 2012, 20:13   #8

Just how tightly did you force it? You need to drop the gear box and report back, you shouldn't see engine oil on top of the gear box unless you split some - I have not much idea of the noisy end but have just completely stripped my 60efi gear box.
Old 11 June 2012, 20:14   #9

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Sounds normal to me.

Apart from the engine oil bit.
Old 11 June 2012, 20:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Just how tightly did you force it? You need to drop the gear box and report back, you shouldn't see engine oil on top of the gear box unless you split some - I have not much idea of the noisy end but have just completely stripped my 60efi gear box.

I was tightening it with the ratchet but to be honest there was no a pile of force. Maybe the gear selector was not 100% and jumped in or something. I just dropped it and it seems like it does not rotate in reverse and only one direction in forward as per the idea of the previous posts.

As for the oil I am unsure. As I said previously I had changed the oil but this happened when I dropped the lower leg the first time. Not a pile of oil but still ebough to make you wonder. Once the leg is bag in it all looks fine again.

Fingers crossed. Any other ideas on any of it?

Thanks guys!
Old 11 June 2012, 21:18   #11

By forcing the gear select down I'd doubt you'd have damaged it, if you can see the image on the link it just turns a cam (4) that moves the clutch rod (5) forward and back -

80 EFI (4-STROKE) Mariner Outboard 1B227000 THRU 1B366822 Gear Housing(Prop Shaft)(2.33:1 Gear Ratio) Diagram and Parts

The gear shift does't rotate very much, try turning it and see where it engages and if it engages slightly in both directions - were there any issues before when you last uses it?
Old 11 June 2012, 21:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
By forcing the gear select down I'd doubt you'd have damaged it, if you can see the image on the link it just turns a cam (4) that moves the clutch rod (5) forward and back -

80 EFI (4-STROKE) Mariner Outboard 1B227000 THRU 1B366822 Gear Housing(Prop Shaft)(2.33:1 Gear Ratio) Diagram and Parts

The gear shift does't rotate very much, try turning it and see where it engages and if it engages slightly in both directions - were there any issues before when you last uses it?
None. It was only after about 30hrs use since new but hard been sitting idle for about two years, hence the full service. If the prop is to turn one way when in forward I think it is ok but the oil is confusing. I will hook uk the muffs to it, check the oil level and see where we are at over the next few days. If I had spilt oil when filling does it drain out through the leg?
Old 11 June 2012, 23:58   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Wasn't there a similar post within the last cople of weeks?

jky
Old 12 June 2012, 06:02   #14

I'm wondering if you could have pushed the shift rod down and dislodged the circlip that sits two thirds the way up, easy to check, either pull the rod up and it will click back or whip the pump off and take the rod out.
Old 17 June 2012, 16:11   #15

Ok. Rather than stick my head in the sand I think I have found where the stupidity occured and said I better come clean. I decided I would check the engine again and start it to make sure it was just oil spilled somehow within the engines upper compartment. Anyway I connected up the hose and ran the engine for about five seconds. Result: Oil everywhere especially by the oil filter and dip stick. I decided I had damaged the engine case somehow so took off the oil filter quickly for a look. As I did the gasket was loose from the filter.... or so I thought. Long and the short of it is the old gasket had stuck on to the engine and i never spotted it when installing the new filter and the two gaskets were obviously removing the seal rather than creating one.

Idiot me I think!

Something so simple but I think it wont happen to me again. Cant believe I missed it the first time. Changed plenty of oil filters in my time.

Anyway thanks for all your help guys. I said I would be honest and close the story!