Click Here to Login

Old 02 May 2009, 19:49   #1

Town: Truro
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner x 2 60hp
HELP - Trim and Tilt Osprey 5.25

Hi

Not sure if any body can help. We have a 5.25 Osprey Viper with twin mariners. Fantastic boat .... but.....
One of our 1996 60hp 3 cylinder Mariner Trim and tilt units started leaking hydralic fluid last month, couldnt tell were from. Today we took the engine off and undid the base of the pump (four allen bolts) to check the seal but did not see any visible sign of leaks. Having a stupid moment left the seal (a yellow square shaped seal with the corners of it rounded to allow or the bolts) in the sun and it disfigured one corner. Called the local parts shop and they said it is a part no longer available? Call again Tuesday. Can this be right???
Can anybody help- recommend a way round it, a refurb company or sell us a good unit?
Advice comments GREATLY appreciated
Many thanks Eli and Colin
Old 06 May 2009, 10:27   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Hi, Welcome to ribnet!

Need a bit more info here..... is it a single or a three ram device? I can't believe it's NLA on a 1996 engine - I just orderd a set of head gaskets for an '82(ish) machine....... What's the serial number of the engine? www.ishopmarine.com has a huge selection of Microfiche, if you can find it there you may have better luck looking for the part number rather than quoting the engine number?

As a start I'd try phoning another dealer, If you get really stuck there's a place in Glasgow who haven't failed me yet for parts and will post stuff out. Failing that, the PT fluid is basically just automatic transmission fluid, so any auto factors should be able to sell you a sheet of suitable gasket to cut your own.

In the meantime, find your optimal trim setting & move the tilt pins up so both engines are at the same angle - then at least you can keep motoring.
Old 09 May 2009, 08:01   #3

Town: Truro
Make: Osprey
Engine: Mariner x 2 60hp
Trim and tilt

I have since spoken to another dealer and have ordered the seal I hope is the one that is leaking!
Just hope its not one of the seals between the ram and the pump base plate as I will have to take the whole unit off the leg. uuuhh! bolts and salt water
Has anybody on sent there unit off for work?

Thanks Eli