Old 23 December 2008, 05:36   #1

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 530
Length: 5m +
Help! Outboard too big for our Zodiac Hurricane boat???

We have a Zodiac Hurricane 530 that came with a Yamaha 4 stroke 40 hp. We felt it was to small, so we purchased an 80 hp 4 stroke. I looked on the zodiac website and it stated the max hp was 90 hp, but we have recently uncovered the info plaque on the boat and it says max hp is 70 hp. Does anyone have any info that might help us decide whether to keep this outboard, or sell it and go smaller.

Thank you!!
Old 23 December 2008, 06:58   #2

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasun View Post
We have a Zodiac Hurricane 530 that came with a Yamaha 4 stroke 40 hp. We felt it was to small, so we purchased an 80 hp 4 stroke. I looked on the zodiac website and it stated the max hp was 90 hp, but we have recently uncovered the info plaque on the boat and it says max hp is 70 hp. Does anyone have any info that might help us decide whether to keep this outboard, or sell it and go smaller.

Thank you!!
You should be looking at the max weight the transom will take as well as the HP.
Old 23 December 2008, 16:02   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I wouldn't sweat the 10 extra HP, unless your insurance company complains about it (and you *should* make sure they are aware - don't want to have your policy voided over what they consider a reckless modification.)

Quite often the ratings for max HP are changed (with no changes to the boat design), often (I think) due to engine availability. As I recall, this happened with Boston Whaler Montauks several years ago.

As Turbodiesel says, the weight is more a factor. If the engine is within the max weight spec (and your insurance carrier doesn't balk), I'd run with it (barring any other operational anomolies.)

jky
Old 26 December 2008, 06:37   #4

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I wouldn't sweat the 10 extra HP, unless your insurance company complains about it (and you *should* make sure they are aware - don't want to have your policy voided over what they consider a reckless modification.)

Quite often the ratings for max HP are changed (with no changes to the boat design), often (I think) due to engine availability. As I recall, this happened with Boston Whaler Montauks several years ago.

As Turbodiesel says, the weight is more a factor. If the engine is within the max weight spec (and your insurance carrier doesn't balk), I'd run with it (barring any other operational anomolies.)

jky
Yes ! I agree with you ! How large the engine you should keep ,depends on the weight of your goods! If your 530 always very heavy ,that will be better for you to keep it ! It is not very big problem I think ! As I know ,RIB 530 can use 75hp(56KW) ! So it is not a big problem !
Old 26 December 2008, 09:33   #5

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I think that most RIBs in this size can take 80/90hp, weight and it's distrabution might well be a factor however. I had a BWM 17 with an ageing Yam 80 2 stroke on the back, I replaced this with a Merc 4 Stroke which was much heavier. It did have the advantage of keeping the bow higher during normal use (something I wanted) however on jumps she would always land stern heavy.

From an insurance point of view, get in contact with Zodiac and ask them to confirm what size (HP and weight) of outboard is suitable for your model of RIB and if confirmed is OK then ask them for a new plaque. Manufacturers are always changing the lay up of hulls and improving upon materials used in construction. This would change the size and rating of which engine they use on the back.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote