Old 13 March 2003, 07:29   #1

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Help on Mercruiser

Hi all anyone know much about a Mercruiser 5.71 V8 Engine producing 260hp. I have a friend who is looking at buying a hard boat (spit) Anyone know servisability, cost of parts, problems ect.

Thanks

DGPW

Old 13 March 2003, 08:03   #2
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
In my experance, all these big block petrols die from lack of use and mantenance, The engines themselves are well proven, But OH MY GOD are they dear to run...............

Check out the US web sites, I would guarantee there is a user group on that engine!!!!
Old 13 March 2003, 08:27   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I'd concur with Tim - Have a couple of mates who have run various 5-5.7L V8's in Hard boats, both Volvo and Merc. I seem to recall they are all based on the same block (GM i think) anyway. Sure Jon F our resident hardboater (who for some reason feels most at home at a community for Ribster, whats that about then? ) will provide further expertise. Parts are pretty widely available through UK Merc & people like Keypart. Also lots of opportunities I imagine to source parts in US where these things are ten a penny.

Frighteningly thirsty at full speed though. Although probably not as thirsty as the 1987 Johnson 150 GT VRO engine that I once owned. A new benchmark for fuel consumption that one!

Alan
Old 13 March 2003, 08:50   #4

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Sure Jon F our resident hardboater (who for some reason feels most at home at a community for Ribster, whats that about then?
Frighteningly thirsty at full speed though. Although probably not as thirsty as the 1987 Johnson 150 GT VRO engine that I once owned. A new benchmark for fuel consumption that one!

Alan
I wouldn't say he is totally at home in this community, I quite often have to give him counselling, and make him cups of sweet tea!

As for a "smallblock" V8 being frighteningly thirsty, no more than a V6 outboard for a similar speed.

These motors, whether Volvo, Merc, OMC etc are all based on GMC's. The parts are no more expensive than an equivalent O/B part, and if looked after correctly last for years. Perhaps there biggest failing are manifolds and risers. These tend to rot out if not flushed regular.
Old 13 March 2003, 09:17   #5

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Anyone for tea
Old 13 March 2003, 17:22   #6

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Many parts

can be obtained fairly cheaply as they are based on American car lump ( chevy I believe) such as gaskets , bolts , etc

however certain parts such as starter motors / alternators have to be marine items as they are shielded

There is a company which supplies patent parts which are far cheaper, for example , anodes, than going to a mercruiser dealer the name of which someone can remind me as they are well known with a comprehensive catalogue the size of a phone book

it will chew the juice big time, so you must love the Government loads to give them all that tax income

Spend as much time on the condition of the outleg, as this is likely to be more expensive if it has problems, if bellows in poor condition, drive cables stiff etc, study condition of leg oil if pos

I have to say I sold my Binliner with Mercruiser as it was a black hole of money

Oh yes and a pig to start, world famous for stalling when going in and out of gear ( the engine has a microswitch cut off when going in an out of gear which needs to be finely adjusted - what a naff design idea), just what you want as you are approaching a jetty BANG

And the majority of inboard petrol boats are based on this dinosaur of an engine - how boating is behind technology wise
Old 13 March 2003, 21:07   #7

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
The boat is a Bayliner 2855 Ciera. as it happens, I know very little about the model if you had one what type of problems ect did you experience other than High fuel prices. Thanks I don't want to turn this into a harb boat thread so I am looking more at the merc. If any one does have any specific info could the mail it to me to david.g.williams@intel.com Thanks :-)
Old 13 March 2003, 21:19   #8

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Why not place a post

on

www.ybw.com forums there will be plenty of experience of that model without a doubt

or try a search on that forum