Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine89 View Post
Hi,
I took my 5.4m Rib with 80hp Yamaha 4 stroke into a boatyard for an unrelated reason and was told that I must have hit something and needed a new gearbox shaft and seals. The only time I remember hitting something was going about 4 knots and hitting the mud so was surprised there was such damage.

I was quoted over £2000 +vat + labour for a new gearbox which was a bit of a shock. They said it was a risk just changing the shaft and I would be better with a new gearbox. Does this sound right? Would it be too risky just to change the shaft? Any idea how much this might cost? They also said they had an outboard for spares and could sell me a whole gearbox for £1750 +vat + labour instead.

I'm afraid this is an area I know nothing about so would be really grateful for any help about whether this price seems right, or if there's any way I could get this done cheaper. I am worried I am being ripped off here!

To be more specific, I wrote down the following about what they told me:

At some time the prop has hit something. This has resulted in a bent gearbox shaft. As the shaft is slightly bent there is vibration in the gearbox. Which in all probability will lead to water getting past the rubber seals and getting into the gearbox oil. Another problem caused by the vibrations in the shaft is that the prop is becoming damaged by cavitation there is evidence of this but so far the damage is only slight. However in time the prop blades could be badly damaged. In the short term the engine could still be used although the gearbox oil should be changed. However in the long term either a new gearbox shaft and seals would have to be fitted or a totally new gearbox would be needed. The boatyard. have an almost new second hand gearbox off another engine available and fitting this might be more economical than putting a new shaft in the existing gearbox.
they say the shaft is bent easy to check stand something at the side of one blade just touching and spin the prop note any gap or if they touch more on the other blades.
as said gear oil easy to look at if its milky its got water in it.
basically reading above they are scaring you into changing the lower unit.
props are not that expensive so don't worry about cavitation burns just make sure the prop has no bad nicks, if it has you can get it repaired for reasonable cost.
if it were me i would ring up barnet marine and cost the parts required to give you an idea any good car mechanic would be able to change the parts for you just download a service manual and follow.
and get your boat away from these guys if it went in for an unrelated problem why are they looking at your gearbox [to make money out of the vulnerable] and possibly wont stop there.
Old 07 September 2015, 08:36   #24

Town: Starcross
Make: Lomac & Suzumar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 & Tohatsu
Hi Marine89,

PM me your details. I'm sure I'll be able to help you out.

Cheers.

Dan
Old 07 September 2015, 09:05   #25

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I think there be assumption that the shaft is actually bent.
Old 07 September 2015, 09:18   #26

Length: 6m +
If you hit something and damaged it - would it be insured ?
Old 08 September 2015, 03:24   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
they say the shaft is bent easy to check stand something at the side of one blade just touching and spin the prop note any gap or if they touch more on the other blades.
Are we talking about the prop shaft or the drive shaft (head to LU)?

Prop shaft is easy to check: remove prop, run motor on muffs, and place in gear at idle. any untrue condition will be pretty obvious. Jeff's method may show a problem with the shaft when it is actually the prop.

I suppose you could do the same with the driveshaft, after removing the LU (though you'd have to have it in gear and spin the prop by hand.)

jky
Old 08 September 2015, 07:40   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Is it only me thinking that if the OP had hit something hard enough to bend the prop shaft, that there'd be obvious damage to prop/skeg/gearcase. If non-of this is evident..........
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 08:13   #29

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Is it only me thinking that if the OP had hit something hard enough to bend the prop shaft, that there'd be obvious damage to prop/skeg/gearcase. If non-of this is evident..........
you're right Dave i assumed this had happened before the present owner got the boat as prop damage/skeg/gearbox not mentioned to be honest if the shaft is bent just spinning the prop by hand out of gear shows just by looking at the hub.
Old 08 September 2015, 08:19   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
you're right Dave i assumed this had happened before the present owner got the boat as prop damage/skeg/gearbox not mentioned to be honest if the shaft is bent just spinning the prop by hand out of gear shows just by looking at the hub.
In which case, if it's historical damage, I'd run it as it is. L.I.D
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 15:32   #31

Town: Kingsbridge
Just to follow on from other suggestions, the run-out (or bentness) of the shaft would have to be pretty big (in engineering terms) to be visible by eye. The op doesn't say if the prop has been off to check. Possibly damage could be limited to the prop and seals. For an outboard engineer the sort of work involved is everyday bread and butter stuff.

The ready availability of expensive second hand parts is worrying. "What shall we do with the bottom half of this motor? I know..."

As others say, Second Opinion needed!

PS apologies for no introduction, I don't even run a rib! I do have a Boston Whaler Outrage and see lots of ribs when we pass through Salcombe. Probably doesn't count though. Not quite the same thing! Oh, one of those Goldfish passed us the other day like we were going backwards.