Click Here to Login

Old 06 December 2004, 08:36   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Have I got anything to worry about?

Went out a couple of hours yesterday had some petrol I wanted to use up
so I put in an extra 10 litres in the petrol station, after putting the equivalent 100:1
ratio of oil in first, had this really impatient T***ser behind squinnying about having to wait
I just ignored and carried on, after 10 litres I thought I'd put another 2litres in and put the
lizard lick of 2stroke oil for that 2litres in after the petrol thinking that'll be alright, it’ll mix when driving down
the bumpy road, - got down to the slip, all going well, launched and turned her over and when first time as normal -
after about 40 seconds of letting her warm before getting in, the alarm went off in the remotes which~
I've never heard until now, in a moment of panic I turned it straight off as huge amounts of smoke came out it,
I thought blimey that’s it game over, turned everything off and waited 5 minutes, tried again and she was
a bit reluctant to go with the alarm in the remotes still blaring, primed the fuel bulb and tried again, after another 5minutes
and power off to everything - primed it again no alarm, started fine, good tell tale and normal amount of
of smoke, and had about 1 1/2 hours playtime all fine - I’m definitely buying a manual now as this really got me going not knowing what was up

It can’t be overheating could it be a load of 2stroke improperly mixed and the outboard has some kind
of fuel/oil sensor?

Any opinions out there on what it may have been please? - (1991 2stroke yamaha 60 PTT) (60FE)
Old 06 December 2004, 08:58   #2

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
did you tip up the prop?

missus
Old 06 December 2004, 09:14   #3

no the engine was in the fully down position when started
the smoke was pouring out the vent hole on the top of the shaft before the main powerhead section
Old 06 December 2004, 20:45   #4
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
It sounds Funny.... I wonder was the water intake blocked buy a bag or something Like that, while you were waiting near the slip for it to warm up.

Here is one possible explaination

Bag/or object blocks water intake... no water comming in engine overheats quickly and gentaly heat sezises... then alarm goes off , when you go to restart , heat senser is still too hot.... after the 10 mins the engine cools down enough for piston to go back to its normal size and the alarm to not go off.

I know if you badly heat seazed it, It could run Like shit after... BUt if it heat seized at tickover, almost no damage would be done....

The worst type of 2 stroke sezing is heat, from lack of Oil.... and the second is just plan heat at High RPM.. where bits melt V quickly

To be honest I think you are fine
Old 06 December 2004, 21:02   #5
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
I think Tim could be right, in that the intake could have blocked while waiting for it to warm up. Was the tell tale still running?

However I doubt the engine started to seize. The alarm would have gone off long before the engine gets hot enough for that (thats why they're fitted).

Your engine has no fuel/oil sensors since its not got oil injection (it doesn't does it?). If it was smoke it could have been the choke sticking,but that wouldn't have caused the alarm .

If it went Ok after I would suggest it is OK and maybe just a temporary fault with the temp. switch. Try it again or maybe on the muffs/in a bin and see it does it again. If not then just mention it next time you have a service so they can check the senders OK.
Old 06 December 2004, 21:36   #6

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
If the water intake had of been blocked wouldn't the impellor have melted down and failed, therefore there would have been no way Ollyit could have ran ok for an hour and a half with no apparent problems ?

You metioned failure to mix the oil and petrol properly, could neat fuel have gone through and started to cause the engine to sieze ?
Old 06 December 2004, 21:43   #7
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Can't explain the smoke I am afraid, but I managed to get damp in one of the connectors on my oil gauge and it lit up like a christmas tree, and all sorts of alarms went off. I unclipped the connection and it was full of water, no idea how that got in there, but dried it out and it was fine. Are you sure it was smoke not steam?

Alex
Old 06 December 2004, 21:54   #8
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
If the water intake had of been blocked wouldn't the impellor have melted down and failed, therefore there would have been no way Ollyit could have ran ok for an hour and a half with no apparent problems ?
Chances are if you pick up a bag there will be some water that will be enough to lubricate the impeller enough to stop it from completely melting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
You metioned failure to mix the oil and petrol properly, could neat fuel have gone through and started to cause the engine to sieze ?
Why does everyone want to scare poor olly into thinking he has seized his engine at some point
Old 06 December 2004, 22:08   #9

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Impeller

Agree with Tue, If engine was in water then the sea water temp would transfer to the casting and pump housing allowing impeller to run dry slightly longer than normal before breaking down.
First sign to look out for is reduction in tale tale pressure with thermo stat open when at idle for a while, this would tell you that the impeller is on its way out and needs changing.
If its running ok now, leave it and check impeller at earliest chance.
Paul
Old 06 December 2004, 22:13   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I am not convinced you could have over heated an outboard in 40 seconds to the point it could have damaged anything seriously, and it did run for 1.5 hours later. 40 seconds of running wouldn't have drawn fuel from the tank, it would have still been running on the fuel in the carbs, which might have evapourated the fuel off hence a rich oil mix, and bunged up one of the reeds. Reed problems on Yamahas normally shows up by the engine "sneezing" because muck stops them closing properly. But if it ran for 1.5 hours I would worry about it. Thankfully its a Yamaha.

Oli your welcome to borrow the compression tester, its busy doing the rounds at the moment and in use this weekend. Nasher has one too.

Pete
Old 07 December 2004, 08:16   #11

thanks guys I appreciate all your input would love to borrow the compression tester if thats okay one time - thanks
Old 07 December 2004, 20:09   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Hi olly, glad to hear its not been laid up for the winter.

As Pete said, I also have a compression meter that you, or anyone else is welcome to borrow.

Anyway, some more 'Off the wall' ideas.

Was the engine once fitted with oil injection? If so the alarm may have sounded if something was up with the way it was disconnected, water ingress into a modified loom etc. I'm sure your engine should have once had oil injection, so maybe worth a look.

Have you by chance tilted the engine further than usual, there may well have been an old pool of oil laying in the bottom of the crankcase that found its way into the transfer ports.

My old 55 Suzuki had a bad smoking habit sometimes on start up, but only occasionaly after a longer trip to the slipway, such as when I towed it down to devon.
When the engine was left in the up position for quite some time the oil tank was much higher than normal compared to the pump, and I suppose a combination of the position in which the pump stopped and the extra head of pressure caused a leak-by through the pump into the inlet area behind the carbs so causing a lot of smoke on start up.

As its now run fine for a couple of hours I'd forget it and welcome your self to the worrysome world of boating. Was that a different rattle I heard?

Nasher
Old 08 December 2004, 00:29   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Some engines sound the alarm if there is water in the fuel. It collects in the inline filter, collector, which is where the sensor is. Maybe you had water in there that caused the alarm to sound, possibly some small qualtities of water getting into the fuel and not being caught by the collector could cause a bad burn. When you pumped the fuel bulb you may have pushed the water out of the collector through the engine. I would guess this would cause bad burn etc, smoke, incorrect firing etc.

Your engine mat not detect this problem (you engine sounds too old to do this) and so this may all be bollox, however the previous posts have covered all the bases and so have a look at your inline filter, collector and check for water as a long shot!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2004, 00:37   #14

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Also ... check the wires to the temp sensor ... are they corroded or making bad connections or shorting for some reason. The alarm may have been a false alarm and the smoke .... business as usual exhaust, its amazing how you dont notice things until you think there is a real problem. Cold starts do generate a fair amount of fumes for a variety of normal reasons.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote