Old 07 December 2004, 04:16   #11

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60FE -
thanks guys I appreciate all your input would love to borrow the compression tester if thats okay one time - thanks

Old 07 December 2004, 16:09   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Hi olly, glad to hear its not been laid up for the winter.

As Pete said, I also have a compression meter that you, or anyone else is welcome to borrow.

Anyway, some more 'Off the wall' ideas.

Was the engine once fitted with oil injection? If so the alarm may have sounded if something was up with the way it was disconnected, water ingress into a modified loom etc. I'm sure your engine should have once had oil injection, so maybe worth a look.

Have you by chance tilted the engine further than usual, there may well have been an old pool of oil laying in the bottom of the crankcase that found its way into the transfer ports.

My old 55 Suzuki had a bad smoking habit sometimes on start up, but only occasionaly after a longer trip to the slipway, such as when I towed it down to devon.
When the engine was left in the up position for quite some time the oil tank was much higher than normal compared to the pump, and I suppose a combination of the position in which the pump stopped and the extra head of pressure caused a leak-by through the pump into the inlet area behind the carbs so causing a lot of smoke on start up.

As its now run fine for a couple of hours I'd forget it and welcome your self to the worrysome world of boating. Was that a different rattle I heard?

Nasher

Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2004, 20:29   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Some engines sound the alarm if there is water in the fuel. It collects in the inline filter, collector, which is where the sensor is. Maybe you had water in there that caused the alarm to sound, possibly some small qualtities of water getting into the fuel and not being caught by the collector could cause a bad burn. When you pumped the fuel bulb you may have pushed the water out of the collector through the engine. I would guess this would cause bad burn etc, smoke, incorrect firing etc.

Your engine mat not detect this problem (you engine sounds too old to do this) and so this may all be bollox, however the previous posts have covered all the bases and so have a look at your inline filter, collector and check for water as a long shot!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2004, 20:37   #14

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Also ... check the wires to the temp sensor ... are they corroded or making bad connections or shorting for some reason. The alarm may have been a false alarm and the smoke .... business as usual exhaust, its amazing how you dont notice things until you think there is a real problem. Cold starts do generate a fair amount of fumes for a variety of normal reasons.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote