Old 05 March 2011, 19:47   #1

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: not decided yet
Make: Harding
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard ford sabre
Harding MOB, ford sabre,Castoldi jet 06

Hey Guys

I managed to get a hold of a 1985 Schat Harding man over board fast rescue craft, Its a bit of a lump to say the least and is fitted with a ford sabre 212 and castoldi jet 06, It doesnt look the prettiest but it doesnt have to for what im going to use it for, any way i have done alot of work to it so far and its nearly ready but im looking for a bucket for the jet, the one i have is missing a junk out of the bottom right corner, its a single curved plate and not the one with the 2 side exit scoops if you will.(already looked at the spares list on lancing marine)
I have a guy who is going to weld my bucket but im not convinced it will last so maybe sourcing another one would be the best idea,

I hear on ribnet people asking if you jet unit has an intergrated gearbox, well im not sure what is ment by this, my own has a dog gear behind the cover for engaging the impellor and you can disengage it and run the engine with the jet in nuetral but does any body know if it is safe to engage gear while the engine is running or would you have to switch off.
Any help on this or any info any you guys have on any of what i have would be great as i know very little.

P.S will get some pics up when i get home in a couple of weeks
Old 06 March 2011, 07:08   #2

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotskig View Post
Hey Guys

I managed to get a hold of a 1985 Schat Harding man over board fast rescue craft, Its a bit of a lump to say the least and is fitted with a ford sabre 212 and castoldi jet 06, It doesnt look the prettiest but it doesnt have to for what im going to use it for, any way i have done alot of work to it so far and its nearly ready but im looking for a bucket for the jet, the one i have is missing a junk out of the bottom right corner, its a single curved plate and not the one with the 2 side exit scoops if you will.(already looked at the spares list on lancing marine)
I have a guy who is going to weld my bucket but im not convinced it will last so maybe sourcing another one would be the best idea,

I hear on ribnet people asking if you jet unit has an intergrated gearbox, well im not sure what is ment by this, my own has a dog gear behind the cover for engaging the impellor and you can disengage it and run the engine with the jet in nuetral but does any body know if it is safe to engage gear while the engine is running or would you have to switch off.
Any help on this or any info any you guys have on any of what i have would be great as i know very little.

P.S will get some pics up when i get home in a couple of weeks
Sorry can't help with your query, but look forward to seeing the pics....had seen one of these advertised a while ago. The one we'd seen used to run as a dive boat somewhere up North, Think she was called Buchan Elle or Buchen Elle?? Looked interesting....

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 11:31   #3

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: not decided yet
Make: Harding
Engine: Inboard ford sabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
Sorry can't help with your query, but look forward to seeing the pics....had seen one of these advertised a while ago. The one we'd seen used to run as a dive boat somewhere up North, Think she was called Buchan Elle or Buchen Elle?? Looked interesting....
Ye think i seen that one for sale maybe, well there was one the same as mine for sale in peterhead, looked a real good boat but mine looks nothing like that one, all im using mine for is fishing and going to a couple of remote islands, I got it for an absaloute bargain but now need to make a trailer and i have had to buy a tractor to tow it, its never ending!!!
Old 06 March 2011, 12:18   #4

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
i think i'm right in saying that castoldi jet units have gearboxes so you can alter the ratio's, you should be able to weld the bucket as it is only used for reversing or if your'e mad fast stops, in normal general use there wouldn't too much stress on the reverse bucket
Old 06 March 2011, 13:00   #5

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Pretty much all jet drives need gearboxes to match the jet with the hp/rpm of the engine, it's the equivelent of matching a prop to an outboard motor.

As Biffer says, Castoldi units have built in gearboxes, they can be ordered with a range of different ratios to match the output of the engine it's going to be used with.