Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 November 2005, 16:37   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hoylake,Wirral
Boat name: Deerider and Beast
Make: Beufort and Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboards
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Spoken with Paul at Ferry Marine and this is an Arctic 22 not atlantic. It is 5k as per first advert (not 50k as the second one suggested).

Anyone know the weight of this boat?
Are arctic 22 with twin 115hp fichts with all the kit including self righting bag weighed in at 2200 kg

2700 kg on the trailer
__________________

__________________
http://www.nationala1marine.co.uk

Ladrovers and RIBS what agreat combination
Hensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2005, 10:25   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensh
Are arctic 22 with twin 115hp fichts with all the kit including self righting bag weighed in at 2200 kg

2700 kg on the trailer


Out of interest, do your engines have a way of restarting if you tip the boat over? Just thinking if you have self righting gear do you have engines that will start again??
__________________

__________________
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2005, 07:22   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hoylake,Wirral
Boat name: Deerider and Beast
Make: Beufort and Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboards
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Out of interest, do your engines have a way of restarting if you tip the boat over? Just thinking if you have self righting gear do you have engines that will start again??
The engines wouldn't just start again on there own. First we would have to take the plugs out and turn the engines over a about 20 revolutions. Then put the plugs back in and turn over a further 20 revolutions to get any water out of the crankcase and into the pots. Then the plugs come out again and a further 20 or so reverlutions should expell the rest of the water. With the fichts having a sealed pressurised fuel system there shouln't be water in the fuel unless it has entered the fuel tank. New plugs are put in and hopefully she should fire.

This method works perfectly on a carburettor 2 stroke engine and the results if done right will get the engine running no problems but with 2 stroke direct injection engines it could be touch and go if they start down to there being so many electronics on them.

If done right on a fight engine it my get you home. Which is better than being upside with no engines.

Even if this method did fail at least the boat would be up the right way with a sea anchor deployed to keep you head to wind would give you more chance of survival than clinging on to an upside down hull. Plus you also have easy access to equipment such as vhf to contact the coastguard.
__________________
http://www.nationala1marine.co.uk

Ladrovers and RIBS what agreat combination
Hensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2005, 14:55   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensh
The engines wouldn't just start again on there own. First we would have to take the plugs out and turn the engines over a about 20 revolutions. Then put the plugs back in and turn over a further 20 revolutions to get any water out of the crankcase and into the pots. Then the plugs come out again and a further 20 or so reverlutions should expell the rest of the water. With the fichts having a sealed pressurised fuel system there shouln't be water in the fuel unless it has entered the fuel tank. New plugs are put in and hopefully she should fire.

This method works perfectly on a carburettor 2 stroke engine and the results if done right will get the engine running no problems but with 2 stroke direct injection engines it could be touch and go if they start down to there being so many electronics on them.

If done right on a fight engine it my get you home. Which is better than being upside with no engines.

Even if this method did fail at least the boat would be up the right way with a sea anchor deployed to keep you head to wind would give you more chance of survival than clinging on to an upside down hull. Plus you also have easy access to equipment such as vhf to contact the coastguard.

What about your starter motor? has it been water proofed? I know that when the are hot they will draw water in because they cool down very quickly. Once there full of water i would be very suprised if it will turn over. Have you actually turned one over and tried to restart it in salt water? Im just interested how well it will work. Also if you have turned the boat over it's going to be pretty ruff sea, I wonder how easy it would be to take off the cowlings take the plugs out and do all that you have to do with no engine power to keep the boat from going over again. I was thinking of having a self righting bag but im not sure that it worth the money unless the engines can be started again.
__________________
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2005, 15:09   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hoylake,Wirral
Boat name: Deerider and Beast
Make: Beufort and Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboards
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
What about your starter motor? has it been water proofed? I know that when the are hot they will draw water in because they cool down very quickly. Once there full of water i would be very suprised if it will turn over. Have you actually turned one over and tried to restart it in salt water? Im just interested how well it will work. Also if you have turned the boat over it's going to be pretty ruff sea, I wonder how easy it would be to take off the cowlings take the plugs out and do all that you have to do with no engine power to keep the boat from going over again. I was thinking of having a self righting bag but im not sure that it worth the money unless the engines can be started again.
I have never tried it with the ficht engines but I have sealed the starter and as much of the elecrics as I can but as you know water gets in every where.
I have capsized the inshore lifeboat (d-class) which we do as part of the training with a boat specifically for capizing. The 2 stroke 50hp engines start no problems after running through the capsize procedure and it is tricky to get the cowling of plugs out and go through the long rigmerole in rough weather but is possible (especially if you are a lifeboat crew member and would die of embarrasment to have to call the boys out).

To help prevent the boat going over again we would lay a sea anchor or drogue to keep us head to sea (and cross our fingers).

Even if we could not start the engines again I would consider a boat the right way up is better than the crew clinging to an upturned boat. Also we carry a liferaft for coding I would imagine it to be impossible to get the raft out with boat upside down.

I personally think it is worth carrying just for those few points.

We are currenty building are second arrtic 22 and we are going to put a self righting bag on it.

If you want a price on a bag give eurocraft in preston a ring.
__________________
http://www.nationala1marine.co.uk

Ladrovers and RIBS what agreat combination
Hensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2005, 11:47   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Boat is now sold......
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.