Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
I do a lot of work for one of the RIB charter companies on the Thames. They operate 5 RIBs all with twin engines (mainly 200 HO etecs). Gearboxes going is a monthly occurrence (latest one was this week); there's so much rubbish in the river, all it takes is running into a tree or pallet that you didn't see (quite hard in the murky water on a choppy day). That combined with an average of probably about 6 hours a day running means you are putting a lot more wear on the boxes than a normal leisure user would.

Might be worth doing a weekly check on the condition of the oil which would highlight any problems early on.

PS. I know of another charter operator in the Solent who had a box go on his 6 month old 300 Verado last year.

PPS. They have now changed to running just standard gearboxes (no counter rotating models) to make life easier; only have to have one type of spare. It makes very little difference to performance.
Tim is the failure rate higher on the CR boxes or is it evens? I'd have thought if it was FOD then it would be evens unless the standard boxes can take more abuse.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2012, 20:49   #22

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
To new HD gearbox's on order, as you cannot just change one over. I am hoping Barrus will be helpful when it comes to the cost (£4k each).
Old 01 August 2012, 21:09   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
(£4k each).
Ouch - bang goes this season's Contingency Fund
Old 01 August 2012, 22:03   #24

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Yes but the HD gearboxes are a different animal by all accounts. Hope Barrus will be helpful. Yellow penguin have a good relationship with their Rep. They managed to swing the thermostat dump valve replacement for me on my then 6 year old 275. Your boat is highly visible and well known in the area, good advertising for Merc if they help you with this. Also the one that broke was less than a year old anyway.

The gear ratio is slightly different on the HD lowers but rarely affects prop selection so hopefully you will be ok. Best of luck with the new gearboxes.
Old 06 August 2012, 20:54   #25

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Hey 250,

Did you get your HDs fitted. Saw you out on Sunday by Old Harry and wondered if you are sorted now?