Old 27 May 2008, 16:34   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think our laws only apply to inland waterways but I am prob wrong.

Why LPG should be any worse than petrol vapour is beyond me.

Old 28 May 2008, 06:52   #12

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
the company i worked for in the 1980 s converted all the reps cars to lpg ,200 vehicles , all fords , the car still had to be started and run on petrol for about 5 mins to warm the engine then you could switch to gas there was not much difference at all power wise once the engine was warm or on a motorway . only advise was to switch to petrol every 30 miles or so for a few moments to lubricate the valve seatings. but have been told that with the newer unleaded engines the valves much harder and are much better suited for running with gas so no need to switch. only drawback found was the exhausts needed replacing a bit more due to having more water in them. our mechanic just drilled a very small hole in each silencer which cured the problem. the gas tank was like a donut shape which fitted in the spare wheel recess in the boot, down side was spare wheel was then always inthe way. the car went much further on gas than petrol mile for mile.

Old 28 May 2008, 07:02   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
the company i worked for in the 1980 s converted all the reps cars to lpg ,200 vehicles , all fords , the car still had to be started and run on petrol for about 5 mins to warm the engine then you could switch to gas there was not much difference at all power wise once the engine was warm or on a motorway . only advise was to switch to petrol every 30 miles or so for a few moments to lubricate the valve seatings. but have been told that with the newer unleaded engines the valves much harder and are much better suited for running with gas so no need to switch. only drawback found was the exhausts needed replacing a bit more due to having more water in them. our mechanic just drilled a very small hole in each silencer which cured the problem. the gas tank was like a donut shape which fitted in the spare wheel recess in the boot, down side was spare wheel was always inthe way.
Old 28 May 2008, 08:32   #14

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I think our laws only apply to inland waterways but I am prob wrong.

Why LPG should be any worse than petrol vapour is beyond me.

It is because LPG is heavier than air and hangs around leading to problems if there is any static around.

In the US they have bilge blowers to clear petrol vapours before starting the engines.

In the UK, the gas stowage must be vented overboard from the lowest point, so it needs to be above the waterline.

I am not sure how far you would get on two portable cylinders. Consumption would be worse than petrol, since the cv is lower.
Old 28 May 2008, 08:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABS View Post
It is because LPG is heavier than air and hangs around leading to problems if there is any static around.

In the US they have bilge blowers to clear petrol vapours before starting the engines.

In the UK, the gas stowage must be vented overboard from the lowest point, so it needs to be above the waterline.

I am not sure how far you would get on two portable cylinders. Consumption would be worse than petrol, since the cv is lower.
Petrol vapours are heavier than air as well.

Petrol vapours are just as dangerous as LPG.

Why not use a bilge blower for LPG???

You could of course have 2 on deck tanks - much easier to change and safer but you lose space unless you use them as seats!!!
Old 28 May 2008, 14:28   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
About 10 years ago there was a big push to supply LPG on the water and quite a few boats were converted. Easy on a Twin V8 sunseeker as plenty of space below the cockpit.

Less easy on a RIB as a cylindrical tank will always take up relatively more space than a rectangular one.

There were also gas kits for various Honda outboards (not many other brands of four stroke 10 years ago!)

Hamble Harbour Masters launches had Hondas running on gas but went back to petrol - I think because of supply problems.

There was no gas available at Weymouth so those with Gas were restricted to the Solent which had several tanks or the Torquay area which also had a tank.

It was a chicken and egg situation. Noone wanted to pay to install a supply in their marina before there was sufficient demand. Owners didn't want to install a gas system in their boat until they could get gas at the places they wanted to visit.

I fear that the situation is the same now as it was then. Except the gas is more expensove now than it was.
Old 28 May 2008, 15:17   #17

Length: 5m +
This company in the Netherlands converts out-inboards to LPG

http://www.midlandwatersports.nl/lpg
Old 28 May 2008, 17:40   #18

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
At what point will it be cost effective to convert to LPG with the way petrol prices are rising.
Is it better for the environment than petrol, why wont Marina owner put LPG tanks in.
With red diesel being phased out will petrol engines make a come back.
I have no answers, to any of the above, is there a niche market waiting to be taped.
Old 28 May 2008, 17:50   #19

The whole point of Calor bottles is you can get them anywhere!!! When they are empty just take them to a Petrol station and get more!!!

They work out at 50p per litre!!!
Old 29 May 2008, 05:02   #20

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The whole point of Calor bottles is you can get them anywhere!!! When they are empty just take them to a Petrol station and get more!!!

They work out at 50p per litre!!!
I think you will find that Calor Gas costs around 2 per kg. That is just over a litre.

The only cost effective way to do this is with refillable bottles from such as Gaslow and buy the LPG from petrol stations.

Calor gas is probably the most expensive was to buy it. Camping gas is slightly more!