Old 27 June 2006, 00:17   #1

Town: Rickmansworth
Make: Ocean 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Mariner
Fuel tanks

looking at my old knackered fuel tank which someone has bodged in over the years... Have no idea what capacity tank to go for!!! What would people recomend for a 200hp mariner. the kind of use is rescue and cruising somedays we could be out for 4 to 5 hours. Noticed i can get a 91 litre tank but thats the biggest i can find!!! Really want to get her on the water but want to make sure she's near enough perfect before we launch her!! Any ideas on under floor tanks? are these a real bugger of a job to fit or should i not even think about that!!

Regards

Phill
Old 27 June 2006, 07:07   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill27
Noticed i can get a 91 litre tank but thats the biggest i can find!!!
Regards

Phill

You might want two of those for a full day!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2006, 08:02   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Phil

Your ocean should have a 30G tank under the deck.
My Suzi 200EFI does about 1.2l per mile cruising at 25-28Kn

Malcolm and Colin at Windsor Brothers Marine(Ocean) are reasonable people to deal with, and would I'm sure supply you with an original spec tank for you to fit yourself.

Fitting is not the big deal it sounds, just takes a bit of nerve to cut the deck, then a bit of work to make it look good afterwards. Remember the Ocean's are built like work boats, so will take a lot of abuse cutting and shutting the deck.

If you want me to go down and see them (I know them quite well now) I'm happy to get a quote etc for you.

Nasher.
Old 27 June 2006, 08:28   #4

thanks for that Nasher much apreciated. Where bouts are they located? wouldnt mind poping down there oneday with the old tub to get a few bits of advice from them.....
Old 27 June 2006, 08:44   #5

By the way where abouts is your filling point for your underdeck fuel tank?
Old 27 June 2006, 10:52   #6

Phil

Windsor Brothers are in Porchester, between Pompey and Fareham.

The filler for my under deck tank is in the back of the passenger Jockey seat, along with its breather. The priming bulb is inside the jockey.

I've cut a section from an old and much larger image of the boat, hopefully you can see the filler in the bottom right hand corner.

Windsor brothers can be contacted on 01329 829100, although you might only get the answer phone if they are busy when you call. Tell them Simon Nash put you in touch.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jock filler.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	20399  
Old 03 July 2006, 16:01   #7

Found it

Nasher thanks for the help finding the tank it is there however!!! All the pipes have been cut...... tank moves around a bit. Can anyone give me a clue on how to test whether this tank is of any use?? was thinking of a presure test or has anyone else got any ideas????
Old 03 July 2006, 18:11   #8

Phil Hi.

If its all been cut out it would point to there being a problem.

You'll get better access to it by removing the fuel gauge sender thats under the small round access hatch between the jockeys. Perhaps if the tank is moving around a good squirt of builders foam or similar with a long tube would hold it in place. As long as it never came into contact with any petrol.

If the tank is split or leaking it may not be the end of the world.
After your post the other day I have come up with a back up plan if mine ever splits or starts to leak.

As the tank filler, breather, and exit pipe all come up into the passenger jockey, my plan would be to cut out the deck under the jockey seat exposing an area of the top of the tank. Good time to use the foam as well.
A hole can then be cut in the top of the tank to give access to put a flexi-tank in through the hole.

Obviously cutting the top of the tank is a very risky business because of any residual fuel vapour, but this way the area of deck anyone will ever see is untouched.
The tank can be filled with exhaust fumes to avoid a big bang, but it would be best to get some expert advise on a better way.

Nasher.
Old 03 July 2006, 18:22   #9

good thinking on that one!!! Have removed some of the deck area so far!! so at least i know its there.... Only have one double jockey seat at the console so its a bit tricky to get to, just cleaning up the area around the tank. Boats in a bit of a poor shape at the moment one of those e-bay disasters, just spent a grand on the trailer, now braked twin axle, 1300 quid on the engine, just got to get the fuel sorted then hydraulic steering. Looks like im going to get the hull painted then decide on the tubes as some areas have been repaired. But hey at least i know everything will work after that, looks like its going to be a wasted season but at least it'll be right!!
Old 03 July 2006, 18:52   #10

Phil

Funny that, my Ocean looked good on the surface, but I gradually realised it needed more work than I thought. It was 4 years old and had really been abused.

I wasted most of a season and ended up gutting it. But as you say, I now have a much better boat that I know every part of well enough to have a go a fixing on the beach or at sea.

As you've probably realised by now they are built like the preverbial brick outhouse, but the finishing needs some work.

I'd have a good look at the wiring before going too far with it.

I've also just twin axle'd my trailer with two new 1300kg axles that I got a good deal on.

Nasher.
Old 03 July 2006, 22:01   #11

Right thats the whole lot out just the wiring to do, my brothers an auto electrician so that should be a fun job for him!! Just wondered if you had any more pictures of your rib would be good to have some kind of template to run 2..... started cleaning a small patch of the tubes and they arnt coming up 2 bad so this could be a good thing. Think i may locate the batteries in the console as there is tons of space in there or even locate them under one of the two rear jockey seats. looking at sanding the console down at the same time and redoing all of the paintwork. Thanks for all your help Nasher may see you out on the water next year....
Old 03 July 2006, 22:11   #12

Phill

There are a couple on www.nashersworld.com but I have quite a few otherwise.

Let me know if you need anything particular.

Nasher
Old 03 July 2006, 22:19   #13

Looks good if i get stuck i'll give you a shout sooner rather than later, if time allows and it's ok with you could i pop down and have a look at some stage.... need to give the new truck a bit of a run!!!
Old 03 July 2006, 22:19   #14

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
In my limited experience, and it may be different for petrol, the fuel breathers are rarely large enough to deal with fuelling full bore from a proper fuel pump. My advice would be to see what is supplied/recommended with the underdeck tank, and then double it, and if there is room, double it again. There needs to be enough capacity for air to escape as fast as you put the fuel in.

Otherwise, you will be sitting on the fuel barge dribbling fuel in, with a huge queue of boats behind you!

Have fun,

t

PS. And if you can get it so that you have a dipstick, instead of/as well as, a fuel gauge even better!
Old 03 July 2006, 22:23   #15

Thanks tideaway never thought if a dipstick could be done quite easily if the tank is ok 2 use!!!
Old 03 July 2006, 22:34   #16

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
If you can use a dipstick then great, fuel gauges on boats are a liability. We are all used to cars, if it says 1/2 a tank then that is what you have, on boats they lie...

Dipping a tank is a pain but accurate, it is what the RNLI do on the Atlantics and then approximately predict their consumption using engine RPM. My approach is far more basic, top the tanks off before each trip, plus carry a 20lt reserve, and a aux 5 hp outboard. And yes, I even with that lot I have run out of fuel once...

If you are involved in rescue work, then I'd work out what your consumption/range is at a range of speeds and then see what damage towing will do to it. Quite alot I suspect.

Good luck,

t