Old 21 December 2012, 23:22   #1

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
fuel pump change

Hi,

I am in the process of servicing the dive club yamaha 2S 115hp C-mid 90s outboard and are in two minds about replacing the fuel pump.

All the other bits have been done, I don't know what the offical Yam advice is but I replaced it as a precaution two seasons ago and have advised the committee that it should be replaced again as a precaution. I do my own merc with a OEM kit every two years but at least its cheaper as its just a kit of parts not the pump body

Does anybody know what the offical advice is?

What do other people do with their fuel pumps on 2S O/Bs?

Many thanks Dave J
Old 22 December 2012, 08:00   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'm not aware of a specific requirement to change the fuel pump itself. On a 2-stroke I would normally clean the fuel bowl (on the the outboard) and the in-line fuel/water separator as part of an annual service schedule. On a mid-sized Tohatsu (60-120hp) - the fuel-pump is a £90 part, but there is a diaphragm kit. It's probably more precautionary than anything else. As you've said it's probably worth doing. At the end of the day most engine problems can be attributed to fuel or electrics, so it's one more thing you can tick off your list.
Old 22 December 2012, 10:58   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I've never changed the fuel pump of any of my engines as a matter of routine. Saying that, I've never had a lift pump fail either (touch wood). I'm not saying "don't do it" but I wonder if you might cause more problems than you are hoping to prevent.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2012, 15:02   #4

Town: clifden
Make: Fletcher Bravo Arrow
Engine: Yamaha 175
I'm changing d 2 fuel pumps on my Yamaha 175 2s .this year as I noticed the outside of the diaphragms in both pumps were seriously deteriorating so my dealer order 2 off pumps in from USA took time but have them now, no worry of fuel pump failure this summer coming! !!
Old 22 December 2012, 23:09   #5

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Witch View Post
I'm changing d 2 fuel pumps on my Yamaha 175 2s .this year as I noticed the outside of the diaphragms in both pumps were seriously deteriorating so my dealer order 2 off pumps in from USA took time but have them now, no worry of fuel pump failure this summer coming! !!
Hi. Thank you for all the thoughts, I think my advice to the club committee will be do it, as its as one of you said, one more thing to tick of as being ok for at least another 2/3 yrs.

The cost for the pump is in the region of £70 to £90 and as we DIY the service I think a set of bits comes to about £200 inc the pump. This yr it might be a little more because I have replaced the sacrificial anodes.

We are also considering putting a new Yam 703 control box and cables on it. Has anyone done this and how difficult is the set up?

Many thanks

Davej

David
Old 25 December 2012, 17:50   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Diaphragms do last very long, thin ones balloons faster that thicker ones due to ethanol fuel issues compared to non ethanol fuel uses. On portable engines I only change mines when too balloned or deformed, just in case. Sea stranded is much worse than city same...

Happy Boating