Old 12 October 2007, 14:36   #1

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Loupy Lou
Make: Yamaha 480R
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP
Fuel Pipe Length

Is there a maximum fuel pipe length?? On my Yam480R the main tank is under the bench seat at the rear - I would like to move my reserve tank and mount it in the front locker in the bow which has a removable lid as to move some weight forwards off the stern. Instead of having to get the tank out and move it back to the stern when I need to use it I thought about running a 2nd pipe to it and having a fuel tap at the stern to choose between the two tanks. Anybody got any experience of this or I am just making things difficult for myself.
Old 12 October 2007, 15:16   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Shouldn't be a problem unless you use very small bore hose. I did exactly that in the SR, but to "futrure proof" it, I gave the hose extra length (and the long hose will be fitted to the new boat sometime after next week! )

It worked fine, and was a standard 3/8 hose feeding through Merc "bayonet" connectors on the tank & either end of the hose. I just used a short "Merc - Suz" jump lead with primer bulb long enough to get between engine and rear tank, and had the hose end from the front tank dangling from the clamp bracket. It took longer to open and close the vents than to swap the hose!

Reason for using the bayonet type? - They work just as easily with cold hands!
Old 12 October 2007, 16:59   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
Is there a maximum fuel pipe length?? On my Yam480R the main tank is under the bench seat at the rear - I would like to move my reserve tank and mount it in the front locker in the bow which has a removable lid as to move some weight forwards off the stern. Instead of having to get the tank out and move it back to the stern when I need to use it I thought about running a 2nd pipe to it and having a fuel tap at the stern to choose between the two tanks. Anybody got any experience of this or I am just making things difficult for myself.
If your concerned just fit the next diameter up I did that from my tank to my filter then the recommended size from the filter to the engine, my filter has two inlet ports so you can have two tanks connected and control it with small valves
Old 12 October 2007, 20:04   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I had a 4.5m 3/8 fuel line in my sr4 and it didn't cause any problems at all.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2007, 20:08   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
8mm ID hose should be fine - don't think your Yam 4 stroke will be slurping lots of juice
I rigged a similar set up with 2 tanks/hoses running to a pair of remote fuel filters, each feeding into a changeover valve, having a single outlet to the motor.. Works well and when you want to swap tanks, just flip the lever over.