Old 22 October 2009, 19:33   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Dont have one yet
Make: Dont have one yet
Length: 3m +
Engine: Dont have one yet
Fuel float irregularity

Got an old tohatsu 2 stroke. Before trying it I changed the gear oil, impeller, plugs and stripped the carb to give it a good clean.
I noticed the float was bent much lower than recommended so I straightened it and achieved the height measurement specified in the manual.
Tried to start - fuel pumped through feed line - pulled till I was tired. Removed plugs to check fuel / spark. They were dry. Removed the carb - the bowl was dry too.
Removed carb fuel line - pulled over - fuel pump pumping very well with strong feed.
Cleaned carb again & re-assembled. Pulled again - Still no fuel getting to the bowl.
The needle valve seemed to be not openong at the correct float setting. I bent the float down to where it was originally, reassembled and the engine started 2nd pull.
I think at some time someone has replaced the float needle with one slightly longer or the float is not the recommended one, although it all fits together OK.
Question !!! Sorry to ramble on - Will having the float bent down effect running performance. I have only run her in the bin so don`t know how WOT will effect the running if the float is not operating as it shoud..
Any advice would be great.
Cheers
Sibbob.