Old 07 September 2005, 09:25   #11

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
As far as I am aware, these types of filters are not recomended for Optimax engines, it might be worth checking the installation instructions or asking your dealer.
Yup, it specifically says in the installation book not to fit an additional filter.

I investigated this at time of installation and noone, including some Barrus people, could think of a good reason why not to.

Therefore I installed a "merc" inline filter in addition to the one already fitted to the engine.

This was IMHO a good idea since when ever i change the filters there is some crap and generally a little water in the first filter and the (smaller) optimax integrated filter is nice a clean. I change the filters every 50 hours, although this may be a little keen, i'd rather fork out the money that risk engine damage from crappy fuel from marina fuel barges.

Anyway, tim, yes fit one.

Old 07 September 2005, 13:54   #12

Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Thanks for the comments guys. My local Tohatsu dealer has a tempo one for about £33....but I'm sure I can get one cheaper.

How about the fuel feed pipe for the tank? Any suggestions? I reckon If I just use regular fuel hose and make sure it is not long enough to suck onto the tank bottom or sides, I should be ok. Probably no need for a mesh on the end if I have a fuel filter somewhere else in the boat.

Tim

Old 07 September 2005, 14:03   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim

How about the fuel feed pipe for the tank? Any suggestions? I reckon If I just use regular fuel hose ............... Probably no need for a mesh on the end.......Tim
I would be inclined to use something solid so it doesn’t float around in the tank
Also not really convinced of the performance of hose that has fuel on both sided, it will go soft eventually.
A gauze will stop big objects like sea gulls or boy scouts for getting into the pipe and is a good idea.
Give me some sizes I might have some bits here. Des
Old 07 September 2005, 14:19   #14

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Yer i say solid aswell, how about 15mm copper pipe, will that react with petrol?
Old 07 September 2005, 15:08   #15

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Yer i say solid aswell, how about 15mm copper pipe, will that react with petrol?
It should be CuNi and I think 15mm might cause problems when it comes to maintaining a good(ish) vacuum 6 to 10mm would be enough Des
Old 07 September 2005, 17:16   #16

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: Rough Divide
Make: Mako
Engine: Suzuki DF250
http://www.asap-supplies.com/

Every type of filter and spares you will need,they deliver very quickly aswell.

Click on "fuel systems" then on "racor fuel filtration products" or "cav type filters" to see all the different filters.

For your outboard i would go with the racor filter with the plastic see through water collection bowl and tap(make sure to select the one with appropriate fuel flow per hour to match your engine.)

Or these are pretty good too,but unlike the racor it is not so easy to monitor how much water is in the filter,or to drain it off.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...e=fuel-filters

and if you are on a real budget an inline filter is better than nothing,though if you get a lot of water in your fuel,these will fill up very quickly.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...e=fuel-filters