Old 24 April 2008, 16:02   #11
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
never an issue with the df 70 i had . All service parts were on the shelf , and chances are thats all you will need unless its getting old .
The fuel story is total bull

ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 07:41   #12
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Fuel - The only thign that's going to stop fuel being injected (well, ignoring electrical failures!) is if it has some icky sticky goop or debris mixed in. Injectors (Well, certainly Bosch & Magneti Marelli) have a super fine filter in the injector itself that makes the inline filters look like fishing net! If that totally blocks you're knackered, but itl;s way more thean the cross section required to feed the squirty bit, and the engine fuel filter usually catches anyhing that's going to cause a problem. As you are fuel injected there will be no oil inside the fuel system to turn "gloopy".
As for the fuel breaking down I've run (carb'ed) engines on premix fuel that was at least 2 years sat in a tank (I did shake it first!)...... Yeah it smoked a bot, but then the fuel part will have evaporated more than the oil. Apart from that, it ran fine.

Let's face it, if fuel went off in a fortnight, nobody in any rural area coud run a petrol enfgine and just think - you could only go on a weeks's holiday!!!!! I think I smell some bovine droppings on that one....

As for Suz Spares, my old DT25 was never a problem. As I think I know who your local dealer may be, I will not mention names but if they are the same place I used I've never had a problem or sharp intake of breath with the prices. Granted half the spares I ordered came form his breaker's bin, but even the new stuff was never a problem / any more expensive than anywhere else.

I've also used Mitchell Outboard Serv's in Glasgow for spares. Had a set of gaskets land on the doormat the day after I phoned (for the Suz), Yam bits for the current lump took a bit longer, but I was looking for some obscure bits for an ancient engine so I wasn't entirely surprised at the wait.

9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 08:31   #13
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Did a little exercise on Brownspoint.
For a trim sender delivered.
Came to $144.00 inc delivery.

That equates to 75@ $1.90/

Dealer quoted me 108.00 that makes Brownspoint about 30% cheaper.

Not withstanding customs/Parcel force charges if they get applied.

Ive never had them applied on sub $300 orders "yet".

Worth working out in my book.
Rooster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 09:54   #14
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gingernut
Make: Osprey
Engine: Suzuki 65
You will be a lucky bugger to avoid customs charges and handling charges!
My last load from Brownspoint was just less than $500 including the postage and packing, then i got stung for an 8 handling fee, 50 odd quid of VAT, and a 6 customs charge!

As i said on the post (~#2) it still worked out cheaper in the end, but not by 30% i dont think!

Oh well, May give it a go if i can sneak things through as long as they are less than $300!!

Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2008, 05:46   #15
Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Engine: yamaha 100
Gasoline can and does go stale, it does not last indefinitely. All gasoline sold in Europe has oxydation stability as part of it's specification. This gives you a reasonable guarantee of it's stability, and so should last at least 4 weeks with no problems.

However, there are several factors you should be aware of;

1. High temperatures - will accelerate oxydation and degradation
2. Strong sunlight - the same
3. Bear in mind that your gasoline may not have come straight from the refinery. Traders often store gasoline for many months in tank farms to take advantage of market conditions (higher forward prices), so the gasoline that you receive may already be 6 months old. It will have been tested when it comes out of the tank, but if it fails the oxydation stability test, it will simply have more additive applied to it. The efficacity of such additives can decline with frequent application.
4. The more the gasoline has been 'cracked' at the refinery, the more it tends to be unstable. Therefore, gasoline from simpler refineries will be more stable than that from more complex ones.
5. Some cargoes of gasoline only just meet the oxy stability test, others are well within.

What happens when it oxidises and why is it a problem? Upoin oxydation, deposits can form, and gums and varnishs can appear in the tank, in the lines and in the carbs/injectors. These will obviously cause issues with engine running.

Personally, I now stabilise all my gasoline for safety's sake (for garden machinery and boats). I have had some problems in the past which I put down to old gasoline.

Also, a separate issue is the Reid Vapour Pressure of the gasoline, again part of the specification. This is a measure of how volatile the gasoline is. It is higher in winter than in summer. Over time, volatility will decrease (the hiss you hear when opening a can is the lighter, more volatile fractions escaping). If you have old summer gasoline, that you try to use in winter you may have problems.

bernithebiker is offline   Reply With Quote