Old 29 November 2012, 09:04   #1

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Frosty

As the new owner of a 20 year old Yam 85AET (1993, on a Humber Attaque) which I have not yet been able to play with, I'm looking for a bit of reassurance/advice:

We seatrialled (well, river trialled) it last weekend in Kent before trailering it all the way home to Yorkshire. There is no cover with it so it is currently sat out in all this frosty weather we're having. The first opportunity I'm going to have to play with it is Dec 22nd when I'm planning on trailering it up to my folks place for a quick bez around Loch Lomond.

It shouldn't need flushing because it's only been in fresh water at it's last use, but I am tempted to start it up on muffs. Partly I think to reassure myself it still runs and partly because I'm busting to faff with the thing in lieu of actually getting it on the water. Is this dumb? With it being a 2 stroke I won't be able to get it properly warm on muffs with out risking oiling up? Would it be better for the engine to just leave it until I can use it properly?
Old 29 November 2012, 11:15   #2

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
I run mine up befor every trip just to make sure its good to go.
no harm in it.
Dont worry about it oiling up, just give it a rev to clear the oil off.
here is how I tend to start my 22 year old mariner 75.
check the oil
check the oil feed pipes ( making sure they have oil in them to and from the pump)
check fuel
check for fuel leaks.
check fule pipes.
remove plugs and clean/inspect
check ht leads.
check throttle movement and cables/linkages
with battery disconnected hand turn ( not hand pull ) the engine round a few time to make sure no nasties going on.( rings pistons bearings etc)
check battery and cables.
thrown on the muffs
reconnect battery
start up.
let run for 10 mins.
giving the odd rev up .
check emergency stop
check it start ok from warm( ish)

then your good to go.

:-)
Old 29 November 2012, 11:45   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Two random thoughts:

Make sure all that fresh water is drained out of the leg (lower it fully) or it will freeze.

Don't rev the motor too high.
Old 29 November 2012, 12:10   #4

Thanks Jezza. That looks like a pretty good checklist.

Will: I have put the leg down as far as I can where it's situated. I have taken the view so far that towing it 400 miles with the leg at 45 degrees would have drained all the water out but I guess that depends on the how the internal pipework goes. Would you advocate leaving it vertical at all times?
Old 29 November 2012, 12:25   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
You might be surprised just how much wll pour out when you "re vertical" it......

Hmm my pre start checks are
- is fuel tank vent open?
- Is deadman in?
<Turn key>
Drive off ASAP before it oils up!

Being serious for a moment, a lot of what jezza does I do when I get home (plugs etc)
I'll test the deadman operation as soon as it's safe (i.e in deeper water while giving the aux a wee test away from the slip, or in the marina) before I go horsing off.

I'm on premix, so the whole "air in oil system" stuff is irrelvant to me, (but worth checking if you are on auto mix) and no matter how good my connections etc are whilst sat at home, a 100 mile trip down the road could shake them loose. I'll know if something electrical has come loose as soon as I turn the key - fuel I'll know before that 'coz I'll smell it as soon as I prime the carbs.
Old 29 November 2012, 14:37   #6

I'm on premix too. One interesting point is that since the tank is in the console I'm not sure where the breather is... prolly ought to check that before heading out on the briney.
Old 29 November 2012, 14:43   #7

Loch Lomond will be good ! Mind and reg it !
Old 29 November 2012, 14:44   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Remember to lower the engine, I had left mine up last year which allowed water to collect round the hub seal, it then froze and pushed on the seal damaging it.
Old 29 November 2012, 15:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
I'm on premix too. One interesting point is that since the tank is in the console I'm not sure where the breather is... prolly ought to check that before heading out on the briney.
If it's a built in tank the breather is probably either built into your fuel filler cap, or will vent somewhere "fresh", so won't need opened.

If you mean a porrtable tank upder the seat, the vent is usually on the cap. Theory being shut it while you are hand carrying it for obvious reasons. (and if you have 2 or more tanks it keeps the fuel in & briney out of the one you aren't using.

Keep us possted on your Lomod trip of you want company - I might be abe to escape for a day.....
Old 04 December 2012, 09:39   #10

Bit of a change of tack but re registering it on Lomond: what do you think the likelyhood of them letting me off with 'volutary' 30quid bit since it runs from Feb to Feb and I'm unlikely to be up again before then. If I came up again after Feb I'd happily pay it.

Are they generally decent at Balloch slip?
Old 04 December 2012, 12:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
Bit of a change of tack but re registering it on Lomond: what do you think the likelyhood of them letting me off with 'volutary' 30quid bit since it runs from Feb to Feb and I'm unlikely to be up again before then. If I came up again after Feb I'd happily pay it.

Are they generally decent at Balloch slip?
You don't have to pay this fee ! Also you won't be looked down on if you don't as its a short time left in the season
Old 27 December 2012, 20:25   #12

Took her out on Lomond on the 24th. Weather was bloody grim so we only went out for a couple of hours but it was nice to get out. The rangers were very friendly once they got over the fact I wanted a new register number on a cold wet day in Dec!

Engine seemed to be 'missing' a bit at 3000rpm and below (the speed limited bits) but seemed sweet between 4000 and 5500. The was still some throttle left at about 5800 but I figured why stress and old engine needlessly. The current prop is 13.5 x 15 so I guess I need to move up to a 17 pitch? (haven't seen 16 anywhere online but I'm not really looking that hard yet).

Will deffo head up again in the spring. Maybe for the Easter Hols?
Old 28 December 2012, 01:27   #13

I use the place about once maybe twice a year. Nobody given me a guilt trip yet.

Worst case the Clyde isn't that far....

Edit: weird phone stuff & warping of the space time continuum. You already know wot i typed...