Click Here to Login

Old 04 November 2008, 16:40   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Flushing an outboard in a plastic container

The last 2 slipways I've used didn't have a tap and unfortunately I don't have running water where my boat is stored. I'm trying so come up with a solution to flushing my engine without running water. I don't have room for a full sized barrel so wondered what the minimum size I would be able to get away with would be. I've considered using one of those plastic storage containers available in hardware stores but am not sure if the amount of water churned up by the exhaust is going to empty the container before the engine's had time to flush (I realise the water level would have to be over the water intake)

Filling the container using buckets wouldn't be too much of a problem as there's a water supply near by, just not near enough to use a hose.

Has anyone tried flushing in a container like this or even one of those flexible buckets?

The engine's a 50hp Mariner 2 stroke
Old 04 November 2008, 20:27   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Flushing : Big Dilemma

Your engine has a flushing port somewhere, this method cleans internal water passages better than with muffs, or cleaning barrel. Personal what dislike of the barrel method is all that oily poluted water going inside the engine, besides having hot water cooling not good for the engine specially if you like to clean engine for long periods. Keep in mind that thermostat will take it's time to open, so short flushing would not be advised. If flushed using a plastic barrel, engine must be on, never put forward, otherwise forget about all contained water in barrel. Get a big barrel so leg/propeller will fit nicely fill to 3/4. Add more water as level goes a bit down.

When started sibbing, used a big plastic barrel, a faucett was attached at the bottom, a hose was placed on to release and dispose oily water properly to a drainage. The empty container remained awfully oiled, so this method has it's pro's and con's too. To have an idea :

http://www.pbase.com/locozodiac/image/15570019

Happy Boating
Old 04 November 2008, 20:57   #3

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
If the container is big enough to submerge the the motor up to the cav plate then it will do fine . I run my 50 Tohatsu in a small dustbin about 2/3 full and very little water is lost .

The water doesn't get that dirty unless you use the same water a few times and I reckon a tiny amount of oil residue going round the system has to be a plus point .

Oh and you have to put it gear and give the throttle a blip , its impossible to resist and the best way to empty the dustbin before you switch off
Old 04 November 2008, 21:50   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
If the container is big enough to submerge the the motor up to the cav plate then it will do fine . I run my 50 Tohatsu in a small dustbin about 2/3 full and very little water is lost .

The water doesn't get that dirty unless you use the same water a few times and I reckon a tiny amount of oil residue going round the system has to be a plus point .

Oh and you have to put it gear and give the throttle a blip , its impossible to resist and the best way to empty the dustbin before you switch off
Wants to be a bit deeper than that-about 6" above the plate. The impeller is about 3" above the plate on the Mariner 50.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2008, 21:53   #5

Quote:

Hola Ian

I usually flush a minimum of 10 minutes, but use muffs + flushing adapter combo on a street downhill.

Don't think you are employing that emptying barrel method at home/garage, are you ?

By the way did you managed to get yout beast working perfectly as expected ? Would like to hear about how much trouble was tunning 3 thirsty throats.

Happy Boating.
Old 04 November 2008, 21:59   #6

Thanks guys, sounds like it's a possibility then.

Bit of experimenting is needed me thinks...
Old 04 November 2008, 22:12   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Hola Ian

I usually flush a minimum of 10 minutes, but use muffs + flushing adapter combo on a street downhill.

Don't think you are employing that emptying barrel method at home/garage, are you ?

By the way did you managed to get yout beast working perfectly as expected ? Would like to hear about how much trouble was tunning 3 thirsty throats.

Happy Boating.

Yes it washes the garage floor a treat Mate .

I have now got a PDF manual so i can check it out.

Mat are you saying the merc 50 takes water in above the cav plate , never really seen one but i thought they were same as tohatsu .
Surely when its running on the plane the water level is not that high anyway ??
Old 04 November 2008, 22:31   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:

Mat are you saying the merc 50 takes water in above the cav plate , never really seen one but i thought they were same as tohatsu .
Surely when its running on the plane the water level is not that high anyway ??

No, but the impeller isn't self priming so you need to have the water high enough to cover the impeller itself. Most engines are like it.

BEsides, it's a good idea to get fresh water right up the inside of the leg to the same point the salt water gets to when the boat is stationary.

Old 05 November 2008, 08:08   #9

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
Has anyone tried flushing in a container like this or even one of those flexible buckets?
Try a bucket or water carrier with a length of hose going to the flushing port, so long as you get the container at a good height it will flush through nicely.

We had to come up with various ways to flush engines before the hose ban was lifted and for engines with ports this is a good one.
Old 05 November 2008, 08:41   #10

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Quote:
The last 2 slipways I've used didn't have a tap and unfortunately I don't have running water where my boat is stored. I'm trying so come up with a solution to flushing my engine without running water. I don't have room for a full sized barrel so wondered what the minimum size I would be able to get away with would be. I've considered using one of those plastic storage containers available in hardware stores but am not sure if the amount of water churned up by the exhaust is going to empty the container before the engine's had time to flush (I realise the water level would have to be over the water intake)

Filling the container using buckets wouldn't be too much of a problem as there's a water supply near by, just not near enough to use a hose.

The engine's a 50hp Mariner 2 stroke
If you take the prop off it wont empty the container when you put it in gear.
Old 05 November 2008, 15:45   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
And the prop will come off when you want it to...

Don't know how many people have had problems removing a prop after a few years ("I didn't know you were supposed to grease it up every so often...")

jky
Old 05 November 2008, 16:23   #12

Quote:
Although it sound like geat fun I had no intentions of putting it in gear, especially as the sides of the container will be within inches
Old 05 November 2008, 17:25   #13

Best Flushing Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
And the prop will come off when you want it to...

Don't know how many people have had problems removing a prop after a few years ("I didn't know you were supposed to grease it up every so often...")

jky
You should grease the prop shaft every time your prop is down, if not down so often, at least once each six months, use propper water grease to avoid siezing up on shaft.

That I know you have 3 flushing methods: Muffs, Barrel, Adapter, but there is a new interesting fourth method that leaves far away previous 3 methods....check

I call that, extreme creativity (cowl flushing)

Happy Boating
Old 05 November 2008, 20:14   #14

Quote:
Although it sound like geat fun I had no intentions of putting it in gear, especially as the sides of the container will be within inches

But if the prop is off. the sides of the container will be well out of the way.
Old 05 November 2008, 22:19   #15

Quote:
But if the prop is off. the sides of the container will be well out of the way.
Agreed, but what have you got to gain by putting it in gear, it's only to flush it through?
Old 07 November 2008, 19:05   #16

Quote:
Agreed, but what have you got to gain by putting it in gear, it's only to flush it through?
There is nothing to gain, and nothing to lose, you are only flushing the engine. Its just so you dont get soaked if you want to put it in gear. And besides you need to take the prop off every once in a while. Other wise it could seize on the shaft.
Old 08 November 2008, 00:00   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Andy

I bet you will be able to source a longer hose quicker than a barrel that’s the right shape and size, plus who want to be carrying loads of buckets of water back and fourth when they have just come of the water.
Old 08 November 2008, 00:13   #18
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I have to say given the price of launching at some slips I think it's utterly appalling that there isn't a flushing point provided. Poole charges 8 quid at Baiter and provide 2 taps in a dedicated flushing area...

Old 08 November 2008, 07:42   #19
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I think that's fair to say about newer built slips but with the older ones, getting a water connection to them would be at a high cost.
Old 10 November 2008, 08:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Andy

I bet you will be able to source a longer hose quicker than a barrel that’s the right shape and size, plus who want to be carrying loads of buckets of water back and fourth when they have just come of the water.
Carrying buckets of water is not ideal I agree but the problem is not just the length of hose required, it's the fact that I'd have to trail it across 4 gardens. Don't think the owners would be too impressed if my hose squashed their cherished flower displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I have to say given the price of launching at some slips I think it's utterly appalling that there isn't a flushing point provided. Poole charges 8 quid at Baiter and provide 2 taps in a dedicated flushing area...
I was quite surprised to find there wasn't a tap at Camber. Graeme C said their used to be one there but not any longer. Why on earth would they want to take a facility like that away