Old 27 September 2015, 17:36   #31

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
It's definitely not a self service warranty!! You get your standard warranty pretty much regardless of what you do service wise. But you will loose your extended warranty if you self service. So when your Merc or mariner goes to the main dealer its logged with Merc, once your standard warranty is out they extend it for free, the. If you get it done again they extend it for another year up to a max of 5 years.

Old 28 September 2015, 16:47   #32

I was thinking about this today as you do and to be fare on the dealer, they have done the 20hr service at what ever the price was but they have also had to rectify a fault. Now we get loads of new boats coming into us that have installation faults from the boat builder. I had one the other day and it took me about 3 hrs to find what had been installed wrong it was a loom plugged in back to front. Sounds easy but trying to remove all the looms from under the console and floor took me forever and then put it all back together again so it looked good took ages. So what I'm saying is yes 2hrs is nothing to try and find an install issue. But who should get charged? The dealer has spent a few hours on it, and if they installed it they should front the bill. If the boat was fitted out by another company someone has to pay the bill. So maybe if it was installed by a Mercury dealer or boat builder the people who fitted it should be paying. Or a warranty claim should be put in for the work. Either way as a dealer I don't think the customer should be paying. It should be the person that fitted the thing but then the dealer who fixed it has to then spend ages chasing the money. It happens to us all the time. Hope that garbled message makes sense!!

Old 29 September 2015, 07:22   #33

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Pegasus
Make: Zodiac Pro 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I spoke to them and they have charged me 3 hours labour for the service and 1 hour to rectify the "fault". As it turns out, and in my defense, the set up for water separator alarm on a "G3" smartcraft engine is simply a case of plugging the sensor in to the harness. There is no need to modify any settings. What they have done is clear the tank 2 calibration. The tech had a go, as I did, at setting it up as per earlier systems, but then called Barrus to confirm this was not required. I can deal with the time doing this, but 3 hours for a 20 hour/3 month service still seems a lot.

Phil M
Old 29 September 2015, 16:44   #34

Wow 3 hrs for a 20hr service! I reckon I can do that in about 30 min to 45 min tops!