Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 November 2017, 15:58   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,278
Do remember as has been said above that written confirmation needs to be from Yamaha not the dealer if you wish Yamaha to honour the warranty.

As a matter of interest I had the Suzuki dealer do the PDI and 20hr service on my Suzuki which was new in 2016.... so then I had the benefit of no doubt about the warranty for a year when... also as said above... that is the most likely time for any initial problems to show. Now for the remaining years I am self servicing and forgetting the warranty.

I checked their work after both PDI and 20hr... which was a big reason for self servicing in future!
__________________

__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2017, 16:14   #42
Member
 
DonPeterD's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
I'd make sure that you use the correct Yamaha branded oil. Not because it's any better than any other oil of the same grade and specification but because it "may" have chemical markers in it which identify the oil in the event of a failure claimed under warranty.
But do you have any idea, if it then can be traced, if there are put sea foam, kerosene or what ever in, to flush out gunk, between oil changes?
__________________

__________________
DonPeterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2017, 16:20   #43
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPeterD View Post
But do you have any idea, if it then can be traced, if there are put sea foam, kerosene or what ever in, to flush out gunk, between oil changes?
Its not an old Lister Stationary engine, its a clean burning modern four stroke. Its a long time since Ive heard anyone flush old oil. Modern oils have detergents in them to prevent gunk/sludge, if you change oil when you should itl still be relatively clean,you are over complicating things.

Use Yamaha parts and oil, everything will be fine.

I use branded oil for whichever make of engine I'm doing, not because the manf has 'special' oil, its because I'm a little OCD.
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2017, 16:22   #44
Member
 
DonPeterD's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Do remember as has been said above that written confirmation needs to be from Yamaha not the dealer if you wish Yamaha to honour the warranty.

As a matter of interest I had the Suzuki dealer do the PDI and 20hr service on my Suzuki which was new in 2016.... so then I had the benefit of no doubt about the warranty for a year when... also as said above... that is the most likely time for any initial problems to show. Now for the remaining years I am self servicing and forgetting the warranty.

I checked their work after both PDI and 20hr... which was a big reason for self servicing in future!
If I walked up with the Benelli, kicked in Yamahas corporate door, loaded off the mag in their ceiling, smacked them a spinning backfist on their fat cheeks - I'll bet 100$ they would NEVER sign an agreement, that they would surrender the services to me. Never ever is that going to happen. When the dealer agrees to uphold warranty, there are still full warranty, Yamaha corp or not.
__________________
DonPeterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2017, 16:34   #45
Member
 
DonPeterD's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Its not an old Lister Stationary engine, its a clean burning modern four stroke. Its a long time since Ive heard anyone flush old oil. Modern oils have detergents in them to prevent gunk/sludge, if you change oil when you should itl still be relatively clean,you are over complicating things.

Use Yamaha parts and oil, everything will be fine.

I use branded oil for whichever make of engine I'm doing, not because the manf has 'special' oil, its because I'm a little OCD.
Your right. Better safe then sorry I guess.
__________________
DonPeterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2017, 16:46   #46
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Its not an old Lister Stationary engine, its a clean burning modern four stroke. Its a long time since Ive heard anyone flush old oil.
My "road" mechanic was just recently regaling me with tales of clients who wanted him to do this to their Ford Transit...


... they were Gippos
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2017, 20:18   #47
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPeterD View Post
When the dealer agrees to uphold warranty, there are still full warranty, Yamaha corp or not.
Yamaha are responsible for the warranty, not your dealer. the dealer needs to get authorisation from Yamaha to change any part on your engine if a warranty claim is required.

One of the first things they will ask is the service history on the engine, if you say you serviced it yourself (or dealer says you did) then Yamaha may void your warranty, can you see your dealer picking up the tab for say a powerhead? do you have that much trust in a dealer?

I can only speak of my own suzuki and mariner, on warranty claims both wanted to know the service history before they sent any bits, ofcourse the dealer had records of that so your dealer may just (cough) "stamp" your book.

I'm sure Yamaha are verse with people being a long way away from a dealer so they may have options for you, worth a phone call to them.
__________________
dubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2017, 03:18   #48
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,573
as dubrus says i have just had my suzuki repaired under warranty suzuki even came to look at the engine before they committed to the repair/replacement.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2017, 03:24   #49
Member
 
DonPeterD's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 82
I hear all of you. And taking it into consideration. I see itís a more delicate political matter, then first anticipated.
__________________

__________________
DonPeterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.