Old 26 June 2014, 21:27   #1

Town: Midlands - Wolverhampton
Make: BWM DS21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Ficht 150 starting problem

Hi

Well my RIOW dreams seem to be sinking after today.

I started with what I thought was a bad connection on the ignition switch but now can't even start the engine.

Last time we used the boat when crossing another boats wash there was a beep from the system check gauge but no error, it just restarted as if the power had been momentarily cut. I had a play with the wires on the back of the ignition switch when back at the jetty and again the gauge reset itself.

We stopped the engine and when trying to restart nothing happened. After a quick tap of the wires/switch and a couple of tries it sprung into life.

Have tried to find the exact problem tonight and failed. I can hear the solenoid clicking but the engine will turn over maybe one time in 10 but makes no attempt to fire, except very occasionally when you give up and turn the switch off it does sometimes try to fire once.

It's almost like the ignition switch has powered the starter circuit but not the ignition circuit.

Battery voltages and connections all seem fine.

I'm going to phone Mike at South Coast Marine tomorrow and see what he thinks and see if he can take a look at it on Saturday if he has a spare ignition switch and wiring.

Does anyone have any other ideas what I could try?

Cheers
Rob
Old 27 June 2014, 07:06   #2

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
I had a similar problem with starting - it became a black art of wiggling this and poking that while standing on one leg humming ancient tunes.

I got a new ignition switch and been fine since - mine is the panel mount switch so wasn't that big of a problem to change. 10 mins and it was all sorted - Liverpool Power Boats had one in stock as well so was a quick run over the 62 and I was all sorted.

Hope you get it sorted for round the island - nothing worse than having your boat at home broken and going for the trip in another boat.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote