Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Extending The Battery Cable

I just got my rib back but the battery and the fuel tank are in the same compartment i.e. under the seat. I want to move the battery to a seperate compartment which is located in the front of the seat unit. The cable that connects to the battery is not long enough. I need to add approximatly 2 foot (600mm). The engine is a 60 hp ETec.

In your opinion will the extra 2 foot cause an excessive voltage drop. The cable that came with the engine is 9 foot.

TSM
Old 06 April 2008, 14:49   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Use cable at least as fat as your present stuff and make a good quality joint and it'll likely be fine.
Old 06 April 2008, 15:05   #3

Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
I would not splice the wire to make it longer
get a longer wire and larger size
( the smaller the number the larger the diameter the wire)
Old 06 April 2008, 15:13   #4

RIBase
Extending the cable

The cable that came with the engine has been finished with a ring (looks like a lollypop wiith a hole in the middle). I was thinking of using a pre made section of cable with lolly pop connector on each end and connect one end to the battery and connect the lollypops on top of each other and tighten them with a SS bolt.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e.../battleads.php

Using the SSP/N wire 600mm long.
Old 06 April 2008, 15:37   #5

Town: Hamble
The correct way is to use butt connectors and 2 layers of heatshrink.
Attached Images

Old 06 April 2008, 15:48   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
The cable that came with the engine has been finished with a ring (looks like a lollypop wiith a hole in the middle). I was thinking of using a pre made section of cable with lolly pop connector on each end and connect one end to the battery and connect the lollypops on top of each other and tighten them with a SS bolt.
dirk is of course correct about the correct way. However what your describe is what I have done all covered in two layers of heat shrink. Its a bodge but it works. I only have a 20HP and it has a cord start so I decided that it didn't really matter anyway; if not being able to start your engine would be more critical for you then your conclusion may be different.
Old 06 April 2008, 16:03   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Dirk is correct, this is the only failsafe way, the other nut and bolt way would be considered a bodge!!
Old 06 April 2008, 16:24   #8

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Personally If I was to extend cables rather than replacing them I would in all likelihood solder them by splaying and butt jointing them and then blowtorch the joint with plenty of flux and solder to get a good joint. Then cover with adhesive type heatshrink.
I would be happier with this type of joint electrically and mechanically over a crimp. In fact I solder all my crimped connections in addition to crimping them.
Old 06 April 2008, 16:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
.... this is the only failsafe way,
Pish. You think a crimp is failsafe?
Quote:
...the other nut and bolt way would be considered a bodge!!
By some, maybe but a nut and bolt will put a pressure of many tons across the joint. After all, when the cable terminates at the battery, it'll just be held to the terminals by.......a nut and bolt.
Old 06 April 2008, 16:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Personally If I was to extend cables rather than replacing them I would in all likelihood solder them by splaying and butt jointing them and then blowtorch the joint with plenty of flux and solder to get a good joint. Then cover with adhesive type heatshrink.
I would be happier with this type of joint electrically and mechanically over a crimp. In fact I solder all my crimped connections in addition to crimping them.
Agreed.
Old 06 April 2008, 17:26   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
The ONLY thing I'll say on solder V crimp is there's a reason it's illegal to solder connections on aircraft.

Personally, I wouldn't join the cable at all. I'd make a new cable.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2008, 17:33   #12

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I'd make a new cable length too. Everything else is a bodge, not worth the risk of the cable detatching, corroding or setting electrolisis in action by getting or allowing the negative and positive joins to get salt water in them.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2008, 17:44   #13

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
This might seem like a really silly question, but why? I have always been of the opinion that a soldered joint is a lot better than a crimped joint, especially on a boat where a crimped connection can work un-done.
Old 06 April 2008, 17:54   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I'd make a new cable length too. Everything else is a bodge, not worth the risk of the cable detatching, corroding or setting electrolisis in action by getting or allowing the negative and positive joins to get salt water in them.
Hightower - not disputing that a whole new cable would be a better solution (although probably expensive, and IIRC not straightforward to fit at the engine end). However: You presumably) have crimped on connectors at both ends of your cable (one at the battery and the other in the engine) why are these any less likely to "detatch" than a connector in the middle? Why is corrosion any more likely to get into these connections (if correctly made and enclosed) than any other electrical connection on the boat? I'm not sure what your electrolysis concern was.

My main concern about the bolt approach (as bodged on my boat) is that if any sharp edges on the nut bolt wear through the protective casing there is a small risk that both positive and negative connections wear through and could short.
Old 06 April 2008, 18:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
My main concern about the bolt approach (as bodged on my boat) is that if any sharp edges on the nut bolt wear through the protective casing there is a small risk that both positive and negative connections wear through and could short.
Bend them, smooth them, pad them, clamp them, stagger them, sleeve them, box them, and any other number of thems.
Be rational not emotive...as you obviously have been since you used a bolt.
Old 06 April 2008, 18:27   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Bend them, smooth them, pad them, clamp them, stagger them, sleeve them, box them, and any other number of thems.
Be rational not emotive...as you obviously have been since you used a bolt.
Jeff thats pretty much what I did - they are staggered offset about 4 inches from each other, sleeved in shrink wrap, secured together with cable ties and all wrapped in insulating tape (it doesn't look pretty - but that reminds me that the joint underneath may not be prefect either!).

Like all of the primitive electrics on my boat it was only meant to be a temporary measure (in this case to test the battery and engine) but actually worked OK so has just remained. Its lasted 2 1/2 years so it can't be too bad. (the last time I went to the boat the joint was under an inch of ice/snow and still seemed to be working fine).
Old 06 April 2008, 18:33   #17

RIBase
Cable extention

I considered a whole new cable. But it is hard to find the exact spot where it terminates without stripping off a considerable amount of kit.
Old 06 April 2008, 18:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Pish. You think a crimp is failsafe?By some, maybe but a nut and bolt will put a pressure of many tons across the joint. After all, when the cable terminates at the battery, it'll just be held to the terminals by.......a nut and bolt.
That terminal, held by the nut and bolt, will be "crimped" onto the cable, same as a butt joint, but with more to go wrong. Take my word for it, I do this as my job, a Butt joint is the correct way, unless your prepared to go to the expense of new cables. Which you'll have to crimp ends on to!!!
Old 06 April 2008, 18:57   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I considered a whole new cable. But it is hard to find the exact spot where it terminates without stripping off a considerable amount of kit.
Even if you can you may find that the fitting that needs to be crimped on is bigger that the hole in the cowl (it is on mine) so the fitting needs attached after the cable is fed through - either you need the right tool and skills to do it right or you will have to pay someone who has. I have proper crimp tool but it doesn't go that big so that was the end of that approach.
Old 06 April 2008, 18:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
This might seem like a really silly question, but why? I have always been of the opinion that a soldered joint is a lot better than a crimped joint, especially on a boat where a crimped connection can work un-done.
That's assuming you know how to solder, where as any fool can crimp!