Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 September 2010, 07:42   #11
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
I've got experience of opti claims though. Warranty has been worth it!
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 08:52   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Do you have bitter experience of breaking big Yams in the past?
No, you know I haven't.

The information came directly from a very good source. I'll leave it at that, but please save your sarccy comments for those that deserve them.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 09:31   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
No, you know I haven't.

The information came directly from a very good source. I'll leave it at that, but please save your sarccy comments for those that deserve them.
I didn't know that you hadn't and wasn't being 'sarccy'.


Anyway, why do you consider yourself undeserving?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 14:32   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
No, you know I haven't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I didn't know that you hadn't and wasn't being 'sarccy'.
I was enjoying a good larf trying to remember who you pair remind me of. Remembered: mrs willk and meself. Stopped larfin'
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 14:57   #15
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
So you're saying for the customer it's worth it statistically in that the manufacturers run at a loss??? They don't run the schemes at a loss as far as I know, why would they?

IMHO, it is just insurance. Which by definition is their calculated risk. They will try to ensure the total premiums collected outweigh their total costs of admin and claims. For the individual it is peace of mind, if you can afford the premiums but can't afford to replace an engine, it is for you if you want to continue boating in the event of engine failure. If the cost of an engine is a small percentage of your savings or disposable income you have the luxury of choice to gamble. If you can't afford the premium or engine, unlucky.
I think you may have misinterpreted the tone of the original message. However clearly some insurance is relatively cheap because it covers a very low probability event (usually with a high cost outcome) whilst others are more expensive because the probability of the event is higher. With warranties the actual cost to the manufacturer of a payout is actually not that high in the grand scheme of things - but the cost of the insurance is - i.e. their margins may be much higher than say life, home, car insurance.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 15:15   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
So do you guys buy them?
"You've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky? Well do you, Punk?"

I never buy warranties or run service contracts, unless I have to. I think Paul is probably right, if you can't afford to replace the engine, then the warranty is a must. But of course they'll argue the bit to get out of paying up.

Remember that Etec....
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 15:27   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I was enjoying a good larf trying to remember who you pair remind me of. Remembered: mrs willk and meself. Stopped larfin'
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 16:00   #18
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
So you're saying for the customer it's worth it statistically in that the manufacturers run at a loss??? They don't run the schemes at a loss as far as I know, why would they?

IMHO, it is just insurance. Which by definition is their calculated risk. They will try to ensure the total premiums collected outweigh their total costs of admin and claims. For the individual it is peace of mind, if you can afford the premiums but can't afford to replace an engine, it is for you if you want to continue boating in the event of engine failure. If the cost of an engine is a small percentage of your savings or disposable income you have the luxury of choice to gamble. If you can't afford the premium or engine, unlucky.
Yamaha wouldn't offer the product for very long if the cost to them exceeded the money consumers put in. Personally I have no problem taking a calculated risk that my engine will last.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 16:25   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I was enjoying a good larf trying to remember who you pair remind me of. Remembered: mrs willk and meself. Stopped larfin'
[YOUTUBE]lhmjnYKlVnM[/YOUTUBE]
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 17:15   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Yeah...
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.