Old 22 February 2008, 10:38   #11

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Zodiac water problem

I agree that height of engine is critical here and plan to get my transom built up. Water appears to come upwards at high speed and bounce off the front of the engine leg and into the boat. Not good!

Gavin

Old 06 April 2008, 09:26   #12

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Excesive Transom Water Splahing

The problem is a sib/transom height /engine leg issue that has to be corrected. This water splash tends to slow a bit the wot emgine/sib speed and don't plan to place triangle anti water splashers at both transom/tubes ends. Will need to rise the transom's front engine & rear mount plates accordingly to match the new 40 cm height. Will let you know what happened...

Weeks latter...

After a long and very precise work have finished raising the transom to match the specified factory transom height for a Tohatsu 18 HP 2 stroke engine.

If anyone out there using Tohatsu, Mariner, Mercury Nissan brands 10/15/18 models have excessive water splash, here is what you should do: Is a time consuming work, cheap cost job, but if you want wot perfection cruise is a must do.

01-Drill 3 /10 cm deep 26 mm thick holes in the middle of the transom space needed to be raised, graft epoxy glue same 3 holes with 3/10 cm deep 25 mm diameter stuckos (wooden shafts), once hardened, make a 3 stucko in line fiberglass /epoxy mesh to tight/integrate to transom, once hardened, fill all wanted area with marine resin and appropriate hardener, let dry to harden, the longer the better. (Photo-02

02- In my particular boat transom/engine case, the height has been risen 25 mm as before, now having a straight tube to tube in line transom, both inner & outer engine plates have been re aligned to the transom new border. All work has been carefully machine & hand sanded to look as original and re painted. (photo-03)

03- The engine has been correctly centered and now has 45 mm from the sib’s bottom to the anti cavitation plate and in accordance with Toh specs 30-50 mm recommended height. Now performing excellent with no water splash at all and with the sib passengers balanced normally. (photo.04)

The corrected transom height was risen from late 70 to actual 45 mm.

A Happy Boater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	33846   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	33847   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	33848   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	33849  

Old 14 April 2008, 09:26   #13

Leg Plate Inquiry

Was wondering, any thoughts..

My 360 sib is performing at it's best with the new transom rise and with not a single drop of water splashing in issues. When going on plane with a well balanced, 90 trimed sib the water flow in passing about 1-2 mm under the engine small plate. Would like to know if it's better for the water flow to pass slightly over or under the mentioned plate.

Any tech comments are welcome...

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tech Inquiry.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	34021  
Old 14 April 2008, 09:34   #14

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
I think the engine has to be higher on the transom. Cavitation-plate needs to be level with the Sibs bottom, maybe 1cm under it but not 3,4 or 5cm! That's way too low.
Old 14 April 2008, 09:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinier View Post
I think the engine has to be higher on the transom. Cavitation-plate needs to be level with the Sibs bottom, maybe 1cm under it but not 3,4 or 5cm! That's way too low.
My anticav plate is under the factory parameters 3-5 cm specified by Tohatsu for their engines, is level and paralell to my sib bottom, was inquiring for the upper small plate, not the lower anticav plate, see atached photo.