Old 09 February 2008, 22:08   #1

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Excesive Transom Water Splashing

Hola...

Have a new Sea Rider Sib 360 powered by a Tohatsu 2 strokes 18 HP short tail, yesterday that was first testing the sib on very calm waters noticed that there was excessive water splashing at the transom & tube cone area.

This is an ideal family boat for 5, can handle well a 25 HP engine very smooth. I usually go boating with just 2, my copilot buddy and myself, that’s because we like to obtain the best speed on calm waters nearly going full throtle and to be extreme confortable with gear and enough space to move in.

Here is a precise data on the sibs configuration setup to reach a true technical verdict : See atached pics

Have secured the 6.5 Gal gas tank, the anchor, chain, extra ropes under the prows front bag by means of extra d’rings (will not move a bit) this gives me about 35 kilos on the prow to balance better the sib. (don’t like bumpy prows) Usually drive seated on the right tube with my left arm very extended but comfortable to stear, my buddy sits on the opposite tube in front of me, the trim angle was set at the second position near the transom (in trim) so to have the sibs bottom parallel with the cavitation plate.

Have measured the distance from the sibs bottom to the cavitation plate, is around 7-8 cm, the splash seems to come from the lower engine mount bracket, when speeding water strikes the bracket water is forced upwards the transom side and entering the sib. The engine manual specifies that the ideal distance from the any boats bottom to the cavitation plate must be only 25 to 50 mm. So I’m missing the ideal set up for 30 to 40 mm. At this position the anticavitation plate slightly is not parallel to the sibs bottom.

The water splashes lessens when the trim angle is set at position 3 (in trim, the engine has 6 holes) What I would like to know is:

Placing a doel fin or trim tabs will better this water fountain situation. Would not like for the moment to modify my transom height for the complexity of the transom, that is a has a mould like hard plastic protector that secures and water tights the upper transom’s marine play wood transom.

Tomorrow will make a early sea test with a third buda sitting on the front bench + a full gas tank to balance better the boat to see what happens. (trial & error basically) Other than the spalsh issue the boat is performing extremely well and maneourable.

Any advise, suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	32760   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080056.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	32764   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080052.JPG
Views:	2370
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	32767   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	32768  
Old 09 February 2008, 23:14   #2

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
have you tried it trimmed right in on the first hole . My honda 3.8 was best in that position . other owners have said the same , and your sib looks very similar .
My zodiac also used to spray some water back up the transom , I think it may be just something sibs do because of the soft floor creating an uneven water flow compared to a hard hull , that was my reason for it anyway and i never cured it .
Old 09 February 2008, 23:52   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My Quicksilver 3.1 with a suzuki 15hp doesn't do this.

You could prob rise the engine height a little just by putting a wooden block/rod under the engine on top of the transom.

If all else fails you could rig up some sort of aluminium shield to deflect the water away.

And talking of the 18hp - I just tried to buy one - no short shafts left in the UK and the longs are electric start remote steering!!!
Old 10 February 2008, 07:54   #4

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Spray from behind

I have the same problem with my Zodiac Futura 11C with an inflatable floor and an 18hp Tohatsu. A boat that we use a tender for my sailing boat. I have tried moving the engine up on a wooden block which makes for a slight improvement but more cavitation but think the basic problem is the water flow from the Zodiac against the blunt front of leg on the Tohatsu.
This is the second time this has happened to me with a Zodiac - the last time was with a 15hp Evinrude on my Fastroller 3.20 which I struggled with for 10 years.
I think the answer may be to get a tube maker to extend the floor aft to reduce the gap between the outboard leg and the transom.
I find it bizarre that a boat manufacturer with this history and reputation gets this wrong for so long. In my case for 13 years. Gavin
Old 10 February 2008, 11:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
have you tried it trimmed right in on the first hole . My honda 3.8 was best in that position . other owners have said the same , and your sib looks very similar .
My zodiac also used to spray some water back up the transom , I think it may be just something sibs do because of the soft floor creating an uneven water flow compared to a hard hull , that was my reason for it anyway and i never cured it .
Hola Ian:

My 360 sib is a aluminum floor, has extra wide tubes and is inflated to the correct pressure (0.25 Bar) for rigidity. Has risen the engine a bit, will see the water performance latter. 18 HP short tail if fine with this sib lenght, can accept a 25 with no problem. Have trimed it in the first hole, the one near the transom, perform worst, tried the second, was better, the third seems to be nearly ok once on plain,

Had a Evinrude 15 HP short tail, find the engine clamps to be a bit longer, the clamps used to be secured in the middle of the engine plate, the Toh are just reaching the plate's upper border. This will make impossible to put a higher wooden block because the fastening clamps will be reaching the engine plate border and it has a large protuberance rim.

My old Zodiac 305 & Quicksilver 330 did not spray a single drop of water to the inside. Noticed that had different transom angles though and probably the Evi engine had a higher mounting lower bracket.

Thanks all for the imput, will see later under trial & error...
LocoZ
Old 20 February 2008, 19:12   #6
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac
My old Zodiac 305 & Quicksilver 330 did not spray a single drop of water to the inside...
Does the water actually come into the boat, does it just do a bit of a 'rooster' either side of the engine?

If it is the former, that sounds very wrong indeed.

If it is the latter - some boats just do that. My Ribcraft will do it at a particular throttle setting, as will my little tender (with a 4HP). I have always assumed that it is just a characteristic of a particular combination of engine/leg/prop and boat - and unless the performance of your boat is badly affected - or it does it all the time - then it will probably take up a lot of time and effort to eliminate something that might not make much difference.

IMHO, obviously...
Old 20 February 2008, 19:28   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I have a similar problem on my Rigiflex and 15hp short shaft Mariner. Trimming out doesnt do anything. Very weird as I used to use an identicle set-up which didnt.
Old 21 February 2008, 13:19   #8

[QUOTE] Does the water actually come into the boat, does it just do a bit of a 'rooster' either side of the engine?

If it is the former, that sounds very wrong indeed. If it is the latter - some boats just do that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a OMC 305 and a Quicksilver 330 but used with a Evinrude 15 HP 2 stroke engine with no water splash problems at all. In my particalar case water roosters (circles) the transom/tube area and tends to get in, have to put passengers and complete cargo to the bow to rise the engine and put the trim angle to a position (hole 3) that is not the correct to have a 90º angle ( hole 2) between sibs bottom/engine/cav plate while on plane.

This new 360 sib uses a Tohatsu 18 HP short tail engine which is a great combination weight/ratio, the manufacturer strongly recommends a height between 3 to 5 cm from the boat's bottom to the anticavitation plate, my sib has 7 cm exceeding by 2 the maximum distance. So will modify my 38 cm transom height to match my engine, that is fill in with fiberglass/epoxic resins the v transom shape to risen to 40 cm and make a straight transom, With the final height modification my anticavitation plate will be 4.5 cm inside Tohatsu recommended height measurements (3 to 5 cm from boat's botom)

The problem is a sib/transom height /engine leg issue that has to be corrected. This water splash tends to slow a bit the wot emgine/sib speed and don't plan to place triangle anti water splashers at both transom/tubes ends. Will need to rise the transom's front engine & rear mount plates accordingly to match the new 40 cm height. Will let you know what happened...

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Transon Height Modification.JPG
Views:	985
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	33018  
Old 21 February 2008, 13:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I have a similar problem on my Rigiflex and 15hp short shaft Mariner. Trimming out doesnt do anything. Very weird as I used to use an identicle set-up which didnt.
If your Mariner 15 HP is recently manufactured like this pic it's a disguissed Tohatsu engine, it's the same size as the 10/15/18 models, all will splash or cavitate the same if not under the manufacturers specs, see if your anticavitation plate is between 3 to 5 cm from your boat's bottom.

Some Mercury/Mariner/Tohatsu/Nissan engines of this rated HP attached to small/medium sibs transoms will have the same problem. Have tried my Toh 18 HP 2 strokes on a 420 Sib transom, whick is some cm higher and don't have this water splash. So there might be a transom height/leg issue technical water problem with these brands if used un correctly.

What was your previous if so, identical set-up which didn't splash ?

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Adjusting Marks.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	33019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory Adjusted Stops.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	33020  
Old 21 February 2008, 15:47   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Could be that the motor is mounted too low. Excessive LU in the water will cause the rooster tails out to the sides of the motor.

The "cav plate even with the bottom of the hull" thing is a good starting point, but is not cast in stone. Many boats perform best with the cav plate a few inches higher than the bottom of the hull.

Something to think about, anyway. Takes a bit to correct, though. If you try it, make sure you seal up the bolt holes to prevent rot and other water intrusion problems.

jky
Old 22 February 2008, 14:38   #11

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Zodiac water problem

I agree that height of engine is critical here and plan to get my transom built up. Water appears to come upwards at high speed and bounce off the front of the engine leg and into the boat. Not good!

Gavin
Old 06 April 2008, 13:26   #12

Excesive Transom Water Splahing

The problem is a sib/transom height /engine leg issue that has to be corrected. This water splash tends to slow a bit the wot emgine/sib speed and don't plan to place triangle anti water splashers at both transom/tubes ends. Will need to rise the transom's front engine & rear mount plates accordingly to match the new 40 cm height. Will let you know what happened...

Weeks latter...

After a long and very precise work have finished raising the transom to match the specified factory transom height for a Tohatsu 18 HP 2 stroke engine.

If anyone out there using Tohatsu, Mariner, Mercury Nissan brands 10/15/18 models have excessive water splash, here is what you should do: Is a time consuming work, cheap cost job, but if you want wot perfection cruise is a must do.

01-Drill 3 /10 cm deep 26 mm thick holes in the middle of the transom space needed to be raised, graft epoxy glue same 3 holes with 3/10 cm deep 25 mm diameter stuckos (wooden shafts), once hardened, make a 3 stucko in line fiberglass /epoxy mesh to tight/integrate to transom, once hardened, fill all wanted area with marine resin and appropriate hardener, let dry to harden, the longer the better. (Photo-02

02- In my particular boat transom/engine case, the height has been risen 25 mm as before, now having a straight tube to tube in line transom, both inner & outer engine plates have been re aligned to the transom new border. All work has been carefully machine & hand sanded to look as original and re painted. (photo-03)

03- The engine has been correctly centered and now has 45 mm from the sib’s bottom to the anti cavitation plate and in accordance with Toh specs 30-50 mm recommended height. Now performing excellent with no water splash at all and with the sib passengers balanced normally. (photo.04)

The corrected transom height was risen from late 70 to actual 45 mm.

A Happy Boater
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	33846   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	33847   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	33848   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	33849  
Old 14 April 2008, 13:26   #13

Leg Plate Inquiry

Was wondering, any thoughts..

My 360 sib is performing at it's best with the new transom rise and with not a single drop of water splashing in issues. When going on plane with a well balanced, 90º trimed sib the water flow in passing about 1-2 mm under the engine small plate. Would like to know if it's better for the water flow to pass slightly over or under the mentioned plate.

Any tech comments are welcome...

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tech Inquiry.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	34021  
Old 14 April 2008, 13:34   #14

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
I think the engine has to be higher on the transom. Cavitation-plate needs to be level with the Sibs bottom, maybe 1cm under it but not 3,4 or 5cm! That's way too low.
Old 14 April 2008, 13:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinier View Post
I think the engine has to be higher on the transom. Cavitation-plate needs to be level with the Sibs bottom, maybe 1cm under it but not 3,4 or 5cm! That's way too low.
My anticav plate is under the factory parameters 3-5 cm specified by Tohatsu for their engines, is level and paralell to my sib bottom, was inquiring for the upper small plate, not the lower anticav plate, see atached photo.