Old 24 March 2018, 19:37   #1

Town: Lancashire & North Wales
Make: Saxdor 200
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 XS
Evinrude Vs Suzuki

OK after some thoughts I am looking at 5.8m RIB upgrading from something smaller with a 70 Yamaha. Done lots of research and fallen for the Evinrude 115 so not the G2 can't stretch to it.

My reasons are lighter better fuel consumption auto winterise least polluting and grunt but a seed of doubt has been planted and Suzuki is becoming an option reliability, Suzuki now over taking Yamaha as best seller.

My main use is wakeboarding around 25 days per year so low hours less than 30 per year. I like that there is no maintenance for 3 years two hour round trip to my service place but I am concerned that Evinrude might be a difficult sell on in 4 years or so because it's a two stroke not Japanese?

But other forums (American) are saying Evinrude are light years ahead of the four strokes. I have had a SeaDoo Wake Jet Ski so familiar with BRP and it was bullet proof but there are horror stories I know.

Also been told no Evinrude manufacturer support in UK compared to Suzuki.

Thoughts appreciated 😀
Old 24 March 2018, 20:16   #2

In terms of sales yamaha has a problem with supplying engines and lots of people in USA are saying they can't get engines until 2019. Suzuki are also massively cheaper in USA so these 2 things combined are artificially skewing sales figures somewhat. I've read it is because yamaha has ran out of emmission credits as they can't shift enough small engines to offset the big ones so they can't sell any for a while in USA. Also read they have moved factory and that is reason....take your pick!

Anyways, with that said. If your boat can take it have you considered the Suzuki 140?

If you are using this exclusively for wake boarding I would take the etec over the 115 Suzuki. Yes it may be harder to sell but for your use you will probably want the torque if you can't get the 140 on there.
Old 25 March 2018, 07:01   #3

Thanks for the reply. I am already at £35k although going to try and a do a bit more pushing on the price and thought a 115 would be more than enough? I suppose the question looking back is should I be concerned about the Evinrudes nicheness because it is a two stroke or not? Everything I read says buy the Evinrude but then again 20 years ago I couldn't wait to buy a four stroke! Dealer tells me he has less margin on Suzuki but that is their engine of choice having moved away from Evinrude. Thanks again for any replies.
Old 25 March 2018, 07:36   #4

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
HI,

I think you are bang on with your thoughts. E-Tec is a good engine as is Suzuki, they are both mechanical so things can go wrong, but that's just bad luck. As a Dry Stack owner, I see lots of different boat/engine combos and would say that overall, the ones that go wrong the most are E-Tec's (although normally the larger sizes 175+) and that 2-stroke oil does leave a big hole in your wallet. As a Broker, I would have to say that it is much harder to sell a RIB with a 2-stroke as opposed to a 4-stroke. On a personal note, I'd be happy with either

Sorry if that doesn't move you much further forward than you already are.

Regards

Steve
Old 25 March 2018, 09:16   #5

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Length: 5m +
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
If you worry about value after 3 y why not buy destination boat for more than 10 y ?

Etec has nice torque but when you tow person/s some people reports they can smell "engine". Never happen to me - maybe I tow inflatable toys too fast

Etec is 2T but has all certificates to use it in EU.

If you want max 115 maybe Etec be better. If you can go for bigger 4T it be good also.

About smell. I had this problem when after 1hr of drive boat at 60 km/hr we followed speed limit within 30 minutes (10 km/hr) and wind was from engine to bow.

So if you consider to trolling very often not sure if Etec is good solution.

Bigger HP 4T engine be more quite at towing RPM range I suppose.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What about standard advise:
- buy cheapest possible new engine from well known brand (Merc, Evin, Yam, Suzi, Honda, ...) having very good reputation service close to you
Old 25 March 2018, 11:18   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I'm a huge Etec fan, but if wakeboarding is your thing, prob better off with a Suzook.

Etecs don't hold their revs very well, they tend to wander a little. If your boarder likes 28knts, you'll struggle to hold 28knts. My kids used to get the right hump as the speed would increase then I'd have to knock it back. Not ideal. Apparently you can have them re-mapped, but I never bothered as the rig was so good in open water.
Old 25 March 2018, 11:34   #7

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
It's not problem with prop ?

Viper is very aggressive prop (nice if you like adrenaline) but problematic to have linear acceleration and the same when you slow down on waves you can break plane.

The same boat and engine and not any above problem with REBEL prop (but it have to be smaller pitch)
Old 25 March 2018, 17:09   #8

Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance still half rice half chips on this and keep swaying from one to the other. It might be a boat comes up ex demo that is a good price and I just go with it. Thanks again it's appreciated.
Old 25 March 2018, 17:35   #9

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: Lion
Make: Wellcraft,brig450l
Engine: Outboard 225,40
Evinrude Vs Suzuki

Had both evinrude 150,and now have a Honda 225 , also have evinrude 40 on a 4.5 m rib , stick with Suzuki ...trust me worth the extra all day long
Old 25 March 2018, 17:39   #10

Hello Midlife any reason why having had the Etec?
Old 25 March 2018, 17:42   #11

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: Lion
Make: Wellcraft,brig450l
Engine: Outboard 225,40
Evinrude Vs Suzuki

Had new power head and gear box all with in 300 hours on a 150 , google it , to be fair the smaller 40 is pretty bomb proof and great torque compared to other 40 s , if I was buying again I would buy Suzuki 150 or bigger , v smooth and most importantly v reliable , especially having had to limp home twice 20 miles out in the forth of Firth with the etec.
Old 25 March 2018, 20:37   #12

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
New Merc 4S 175/200/250?
Old 25 March 2018, 22:17   #13

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
This side of the pond (Australia) the 4strokes win out big time. Our local ramp can see 200+ trailer boats launched on a good weather day, most in the 5.5m to 7.5m range. Of these boats you could count the etec users on one hand, even those who were touting the etec superiority a few years ago have now moved over to the more commonly used 4 strokes. Commercial vessels such as fisheries, water police, maritime, oyster farmers etc etc gave the etec outboards a go in the early days but soon went back to 4 strokes. Yamaha and Suzuki rule the seas here but mercury are close on their tales.

Most of the commercial fishermen use Yamaha 4 strokes. The resale value of boats with 4 strokes tends to be much higher and get a much quicker turn over over this side of the pond. If you do a little research and check out even our boatsales vessels you will soon see a petern of 4 stroke outfits warranting much better resale values. You can easely see when boats with etec s' were listed and how long they sit on the market.

I know etec's are more popular in the UK so before I get shot down for simply stating the truth that can quite easely be proven I'm only pointing out the facts. We have over 250,000 registered powerboat owners in our state alone, which says something from a small population country ( six states ). Without getting into the nitty gritty I know exactly which outboards failed the most from working as a Marine rescue member for many years and having to tow boats home. In saying that most outboards are incredibly reliable these days and get used to push boats further and further offshore. Our most common rescues are simply from battery issues, most engines manage to limp home even if they have an issue.
Old 25 March 2018, 22:27   #14

The two major tv fishing shows over here started off with etec as the main sponsor, the one moved to Suzuki after 12 months while the other moved to Yamaha. Now both shows run Yamaha. I've put 600 hrs on my Yam in the last 2 years and hope to at least add another 0 on the end of the 600.

I hopped onto a crocodile tour boat in Queensland last year and asked the owners of the three boat twin outboard operation what their opinions were of the Yam 4 stroke engines they were using. They stated they had used Suzuki but had gearbox problems from the constant in and out of gear changes they need to do to keep the boat close to crocs for tourists to observe. With the Yamaha they have no such problems and run up 10,000hrs before retiring them.
Old 26 March 2018, 14:25   #15

Thanks again for all your posts which leaves me some food for thought I think I will go with a Japanese engine as I mentioned I have a 70hp Yamaha that has been solid for 3.5 years so that or a Suzuki.
Old 26 March 2018, 21:25   #16

Just another consideration which may sound silly but I had a 2014 suzuki 90 that was an awsome outboard but after just a few months of owning it it looked dreadful.

This probably wouldn't be an issue for most people but a mako bit the prop, then the leg and eventually belted the cowling with its tail. Every scuff went back to the white colour beneath the metal and plastic, even saltwater baked on from the intense sun over here was hard to remove. I know Suzuki also do the white colour again now which I would opt for if getting another.

Mine was trailered and kept at home where even our tap water left white streaks on the dark colour, which isn't a problem but if you like your toys looking like new dark outboards take a little more care to keep clean. I just point the hose at my Yam and spray with saltaway.

Not a big issue I know.
Old 26 March 2018, 22:46   #17

What is max outboard size on your new rib?
Old 27 March 2018, 06:27   #18

Max outboard size is 140 but most of the ones I have seen have had a 115 from either Evinrude or Suzuki.

The point about the black Engine and salt water is noted I do like the gear to look good and I also garage my RIB it just doesn't deteriorate the same as being left out especially in the winter in the UK.
Old 27 March 2018, 07:10   #19

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i had a suzuki 90hp 2009 never had any of the above issues in the uk, a good wash and some polish kept mine pristine.
i now have a 2015 25hp its like new.
had a 90's 50hp rude hated to bloody thing rot box and temperamental not dissing the new stuff have no experience but wouldn't go back to two stroke now for smell if nothing else. OMO
Old 27 March 2018, 07:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i had a suzuki 90hp 2009 never had any of the above issues in the uk, a good wash and some polish kept mine pristine.
i now have a 2015 25hp its like new.
had a 90's 50hp rude hated to bloody thing rot box and temperamental not dissing the new stuff have no experience but wouldn't go back to two stroke now for smell if nothing else. OMO
Perhaps those who've owned black cars will know what I mean

Tags
suzuki