Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 07 July 2003, 13:01   #1

Evinrude trouble and strife advice req

I bought a Humber 5.8 (SEABUG) last September with a 130Hp Evinrude both about 1996/7. Engine had a good service history at Pacer Marine and seemed very well cared for. I used it for about 10 hrs pre winter then recently had it serviced prior to the season, after about 5 hrs use (from service), it broke down mid Solent. Its now stripped down and the problem appears to be a top bearing thats disintegrated, a bottom bearing that has 'let in water' and consequent damage. I've been advised that the engine is a write off for all intents and purposes.
Has anyone had or even heard of a similar problem as I'm wary of the diagnosis.

I am considering buying as a replacement a 1999 Evinrude 105hp commercial spec outboard. Brand new in box for around 3k. Has anyone come across this model. I understand it is a 115 depowered and with a heavy duty leg.

Any response very gratefully received.

Tim.T:mad: :mad:
Old 07 July 2003, 16:05   #2
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Evinrude

You could try www.boatsetup.com there are about 4 Evinrude junkeys on this site that should able to help you, some of them are dealers and some work in Evinrude, and they know pretty muct every thing.......

If the 99 Evinrude you are looking at is a FICHT...... Run very quickly away from it, as in 99 the company was in trouble, and build quility is crap, and problems are frequent, IF its normal 2 stroke it should be ok.... But I dont think it worth 3K, there would be very few buyers for that type of engine, and its going to be slow with the big gearbox etc......

97-00 FICHT 150,175 are a disaster
97-99 FICHT 200,225 are ok ish

After 00-01 they are got a whole lot better.... but still a bad reputation.....
Old 07 July 2003, 16:16   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
'Rude problems

Suspect that its not a Ficht. I had similar failure mode to the one described on a 1987 model Gulf import (so "new" in 1996) Johnson 150 VRO. Water taken up through failed seals in the leg and beyond economic repair. Our engine was alledgedly similarly well maintained but the seal failed nevertheless.

As to the 105 I'd be a little wary - what is part availability like?
£3k should buy you a reasonably used 2 stroke outboard from a dealer. Either that or bite the bullet and pay a little more for new engine. Some good deals to be had partiuclarly on grey imports.

HTH,
Alan
Old 07 July 2003, 17:37   #4

Thanks for that advice so far.

Couldn't get on the site you mention Tim maybe its gone the way of so many of these useful ones.

The motor I'm looking at is not a Ficht, straight bog standard 2 stroke.
I'd love to buy a new one but haven't found a good source of grey imports and unfortunately can't really justify a brand new engine on a seven year old RiB even if it is in great nick.
The rude I'm looking at is new still in factory crate, any ideas what it may be worth if not 3K?

Tim
Old 07 July 2003, 18:01   #5

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
rude

Tim this is bad look here is the link to the site Tim suggested you need to register to post articles I found difficulty logging in this link for the register page http://www.boatsetup.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi and this is alink to an example of evinrude problems when it opens up click search and put in evinrude http://www.boatsetup.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi post your evinrude question for the attention of Rowdy he is an expert.If you have difficulty registering here send me an email or post here and I will send you my login id and you can post using my details.Check out johnny boys regarding secondhand motors http://www.ribsforsale.co.uk/ try here for prices http://www.boatinginternational.com/...e%20_price.htm Rowdy has all the info and will tell you if this is awrite off or not keep us posted gav

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2003, 18:25   #6

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
setup.com

Tim the problem with the site is that cookies must be enabled in your internet settings to login, here is the post posted on your behalf, check it in a couple of days and see if its answered http://www.boatsetup.com/cgi-bin/ubb...c&f=6&t=001160

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2003, 19:39   #7

Gavin, I really appreciate your response, I shall certainly pursue this and will let you know any outcome.
Thanks again.

Tim.T
Old 07 July 2003, 20:09   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Tim,

Your profile doesn't mention where you live, but I guess that you're South-East-ish if you use Pacer? I'm no outboard expert, so I consult Andy Clark for all outboard matters. His knowledge is encyclopaedic and you can find him here: http://www.bosunsmate.co.uk
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2003, 08:19   #9

Thanks Richard,
I shall contact Andy, The boat is based on the Isle Of Wight. Thanks to Gavin who posted the problem on boatsetup, I have posted a reply there which outlines the full extent of the problem and here's hoping someone has a bright idea.

Regards

Tim T