Old 22 November 2017, 20:16   #1

Length: 5m +
Evinrude G2 150 stories?

For my 12 MAN PRO Zodiac, I have a brand new Yamaha F100F laying in the garage, in box and everything still.
The reason why, is that I came across the 150 G2 and they literally seem to have fixed all the strange problems outboards have had up until now. It seems like a WAY more thought through product, then my 2017 Yamaha F100F, still with a common fuel rail WTF???!?

But only a select few in the entire country runs 2strokes. So not a lot to gain knowlage from.

Have I got the right engine? Or is the G2 the answer to everyones prayers?
Old 22 November 2017, 20:36   #2

There is no reason for common rail in 4 strokes but it is required in a 2 stroke to meet emmisions which are coming down the line.

Even cars don't use direct injection in mass numbers as the complexity goes up and subsequently the.cost. from a current emissions standpoint there is no need to change the 4 strokes. With that said, yamaha recently were granted a patent on a direct injection engine which is rumoured to replace the f350 money pitt they gave themselves.

You are comparing a modern outboard with one that largely hasn't changed in years. A better comparison would be Suzuki lean burn or mercury big blocks perhaps as those are slightly newer 4 stroke designs, wouldnt say game changing though to be fair.

Evinrude have a promo in USA just now giving 10 years warranty. I don't know if that is a 5 and 5 type warranty though or if anywhere else will get it. Whatever it is they are making people take notice and other makers will have to follow suit with warranties, power steering and auto trim perhaps. They are also meant to be quite frugal which can't be a bad thing either.

Anyways, the evinrude is quite expensive so if the yamaha is the right size for your boat I would bolt it on and get on the water. Nothing wrong with your engine choice.
Old 22 November 2017, 22:14   #3

I’m simply in doubt if - this perhaps once in my lifetime opportunity, to buy a brand new engine, was colored by brand value, instead of hard facts.
The 2017 Yamaha F design is light years behind the G2, that already has some years on it. As I see the two designs.

It’s a matter of gotten the Merc - could have had the Lambo I guess. That just makes me wonder if I should have looked more at the G2. Here of the thread - what issues have people seen so far with the G2?
Old 22 November 2017, 22:26   #4

What are you hoping for here?

If you think the g2 is worth thousands more to buy than the engine you have already then sell it and buy the g2. It is very expensive though, it is about £4500 more than a mercury 150 for example.

Since you bought the yamaha only you can answer if you bought it from loyalty, even if that is the case I assume you had good luck with yamaha before? There are worse reasons to buy something than previous good experiences.

If you want g2 150hp reviews you are better on the hull truth, lots of g2 owners on there.
Old 23 November 2017, 08:23   #5

Town: istanbul
Make: northstar
Length: 4m +
Engine: evinrude etec 60
RIBase
in april, i saw a test done by motorboat magazine. ( yamaha is sold as selva in italy )

Mod Edit: Scans of Publication removed for copyright reasons

when it is time to choose an engine for your rig, question is what is your purpose of ribbing.

if you are riding in rough water, low end torque is important, then go with an evinrude.

my opinion; evinrude improves nice items with g2 series ;

1.improved oil consuption which is a disadvantage of two stroke. on engine oil tank and nice oil millage.
2.nice steering system.
3. chance of optimizing the color and style
4. idock is an awesome option.

i cant understand why europen people are so prejudice about evinrude e-tec
Old 23 November 2017, 08:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
What are you hoping for here?

If you think the g2 is worth thousands more to buy than the engine you have already then sell it and buy the g2. It is very expensive though, it is about £4500 more than a mercury 150 for example.

Since you bought the yamaha only you can answer if you bought it from loyalty, even if that is the case I assume you had good luck with yamaha before? There are worse reasons to buy something than previous good experiences.

If you want g2 150hp reviews you are better on the hull truth, lots of g2 owners on there.

Errr... owner experience of the G2...!

It’s nowhere near more expensive than a 150 Mercury! And if I get it out of the EU, loose the VAT the 150 G2 is almost the same price as I paid for my 100F Yamaha 84.000 VS 92.000 DKR...
Old 23 November 2017, 08:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar 4.80 View Post
in april, i saw a test done by motorboat magazine. ( yamaha is sold as selva in italy )

when it is time to choose an engine for your rig, question is what is your purpose of ribbing.

if you are riding in rough water, low end torque is important, then go with an evinrude.

my opinion; evinrude improves nice items with g2 series ;

1.improved oil consuption which is a disadvantage of two stroke. on engine oil tank and nice oil millage.
2.nice steering system.
3. chance of optimizing the color and style
4. idock is an awesome option.

i cant understand why europen people are so prejudice about evinrude e-tec

Thanks man - nice!

The front against Evinrude over here, is simply a mayor misunderstanding and dealer badmouthing like they have no shame in life. Well they really don’t, do they!?
Blaaaablabla 2strokes is a moped!
Blaabla they smoke, are noisy, extremely expensive to repair, brake down all the time. Endless lies upon lies, and a whole generation of that, well I’m sure you get the point.
Old 23 November 2017, 14:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPeterD View Post
Errr... owner experience of the G2...!

It’s nowhere near more expensive than a 150 Mercury! And if I get it out of the EU, loose the VAT the 150 G2 is almost the same price as I paid for my 100F Yamaha 84.000 VS 92.000 DKR...
Err......"lose" the vat on the yamaha then can't do apples to oranges for that. You do realise you need to pay the VAT even if you import it?

You definitely bought the wrong engine, brand loyalty has got you there....DOH. yamaha are rubbish so I'll buy it from you for £100, you pay shipping though.

As I said, the g2 IS substantially more than a merc/mariner at least in UK and USA, you may get better pricing somehow ofcourse. Also looks like the yam is too based on what you are saying....

Outboard Engines and Outboard Engine

Buy Mariner Mariner F150ELPT-EFI 4 stroke 150.0HP Outboard at Bill Higham Marine

Anyways, the hull truth is place you need to go for reviews as I said. Certainly not many bad things being said about it though, looks solid platform.

Seriously though, as I said above, bolt your new engine on and get boating, it will serve you well I'm sure. If you want the other 50hp (If boat takes it then I would have bought 150 at start ideally) then sell your yamaha new in box and get the g2 if the cost difference is something you are happy with, prolonging the wait will only cost you more.
Old 23 November 2017, 16:56   #9

Town: letchworth
Boat name: jolly roger.. I Know
Make: quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: mercury 25
At the risk of getting blown out of the water ....
This year I speced up my rib and did as much research as my limited knowledge would allow....
So I looked at the web compared prices and asked a few questions ...
I ended up with a G2 150ho
I liked the 10 year warranty, full manufacturer... I liked the no service requirement for 5 years ... liked the self winterise... I liked the in built power steering and the auto trim.... I liked the claimed extra grunt and economy.... also the emmisions....

So on price was for me cheaper and comparable fitted either the lean burn suz and merc... maybe I got a good price on the g2. Quinquari in st davids btw... or bad on the others...

Plenty of power.... pulls 11 in the 7m destroyer at 40kn and instant out of the hole.....
Economy over the year in all sorts of sea state and general use .... lots of currents out here averaged 1.4ltr mile ...
Winterised at the press of a button.

In short extremely happy.... could I have made a better choice ? Not sure how ? but maybe my experience of this size of set up is letting me down

Hope this helps appreciate that I don't have the experience of many on here
Old 23 November 2017, 17:33   #10

Don't put yourself down, you have more experience than most and certainly me, you own a g2 so in a great position to comment dude.

If pricing was close I would buy the g2 over the Merc personally. Be interesting to know how much quin can do these for....think I'll give them a bell as my Suzuki warranty just ran out.
Old 23 November 2017, 18:51   #11

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Look ten year from now.

I don't foresee much of a demand for two-stroke oil so it's going to be hard to get and expensive. (I ended up buying it in 0.5ltr bottles in Skye a couple of years ago and the price was eye-watering.)

That's also going to impact the resale prospects of the boat/engine.

The ten year warranty looks good but we all know there'll be all sorts of small print.

I'm not a fan of Yamaha, only owned one in the passed and the problems getting parts ended that relationship so my comments aren't "brand biased".
Old 23 November 2017, 19:17   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Look ten year from now.

I don't foresee much of a demand for two-stroke oil so it's going to be hard to get and expensive. (I ended up buying it in 0.5ltr bottles in Skye a couple of years ago and the price was eye-watering.)

The ten year warranty looks good but we all know there'll be all sorts of small print.

I'm not a fan of Yamaha, only owned one in the passed and the problems getting parts ended that relationship so my comments aren't "brand biased".

I've already spent more on servicing my single DF140 in 2 years than I spent on 2stroke (XD100 no less) oil for my twin Etec 115's, in the 3 years before they needed their 1st service.
Just sayin'
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 19:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by collier View Post
At the risk of getting blown out of the water ....
This year I speced up my rib and did as much research as my limited knowledge would allow....
So I looked at the web compared prices and asked a few questions ...
I ended up with a G2 150ho
I liked the 10 year warranty, full manufacturer... I liked the no service requirement for 5 years ... liked the self winterise... I liked the in built power steering and the auto trim.... I liked the claimed extra grunt and economy.... also the emmisions....

So on price was for me cheaper and comparable fitted either the lean burn suz and merc... maybe I got a good price on the g2. Quinquari in st davids btw... or bad on the others...

Plenty of power.... pulls 11 in the 7m destroyer at 40kn and instant out of the hole.....
Economy over the year in all sorts of sea state and general use .... lots of currents out here averaged 1.4ltr mile ...
Winterised at the press of a button.

In short extremely happy.... could I have made a better choice ? Not sure how ? but maybe my experience of this size of set up is letting me down

Hope this helps appreciate that I don't have the experience of many on here

Yeah, that’s What I hoped for too.
But as said, ten years ahead, what then. But on the other hand, as things are going in this world , there are no 10 years from now anyway.
Old 23 November 2017, 19:34   #14

Town: letchworth
Boat name: jolly roger.. I Know
Make: quicksilver
Engine: mercury 25
Sorry made a typo economy was 1.4 mile a litre
Old 23 November 2017, 19:36   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by collier View Post
Sorry made a typo economy was 1.4 mile a litre

That's exceptionally good, are you sure it's not 1.4l/nm
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 19:43   #16

Quote:
Look ten year from now.

I love this forum! Seriously man, so many “hands on” experiences, different opinions, that still can stand side by side, without destroying the thread. I surely appreciate every one that posts here.
Old 23 November 2017, 20:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That's exceptionally good, are you sure it's not 1.4l/nm
My 200df on 6.8 does 0.9l per statute so 1.4mpl is good on a similar size boat for sure.

Did you not consider the g2 bud? Not sure if 545 would take it spec wise? I must admit I thought you would have had one on there given the choice.
Old 23 November 2017, 20:12   #18

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I've already spent more on servicing my single DF140 in 2 years than I spent on 2stroke (XD100 no less) oil for my twin Etec 115's, in the 3 years before they needed their 1st service.
Just sayin'
My lack of forward planning but I'd spent half a day driving all over Skye and ended up paid about £8 per bottle (0.5ltr). That hurt.
Old 23 November 2017, 20:12   #19

Quote:

OOOFT, call me and I'll talk you through the ignore button dude.
Old 23 November 2017, 21:26   #20

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
OOOFT, call me and I'll talk you through the ignore button dude.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6235.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	122810

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]