Old 09 July 2013, 17:40   #1

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Evinrude ETEC 90HP Maintenance

I have a Evinrude ETEC 90HP in its first year of real use and after every use the engine gets thoroughly flushed and washed down with soapy water.

The first service is not due for 2.5 years but when it is stored (outside although whole boat will be plastic wrapped) what other maintenance should I do?

Thanks.

BTW the engine has been fantastic and compared to previous engines I have had (admittedly 30 yrs ago) I cannot believe the power to weight ratio. It looks more like a 40HP we used to have and my old 90HP Mercury was twice the size. I had toyed with a 115HP but as the RIB came with the 90HP I stayed with it and it has been fine.
Old 09 July 2013, 17:58   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Remove the prop & grease the propshaft with triple guard grease. Check the propshaft oil seal for fishing line. Remove the drain plug from the gearbox & check for water in the oil & metal particles on the magnetic drain plug. That's about it. If you want to dig deeper you can start removing the thermostat & checking the plugs, but if you're not having any problems I'd leave well alone. After you have flushed it through, remove the cowl & rinse the power head down with fresh water on a low pressure spray, I use the garden watering spray on the end of the hose. The Corroguard spray is the dogs for protecting the engine, best £10 quid you'll spend.

Enjoy it & drive it like you stole it
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2013, 19:04   #3

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Or even less guilt when "like you RENTED it"

Old 09 July 2013, 19:08   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Remove the bolts that hold the gear box on one by one (including the one under the trim tab) grease them and refit. After three years they can seize and cause big headaches when a new impeller needs fitting...

Spray oil around the bottom of the engine every few months to prevent corrosion. The best way to do this is to remove the side cowlings but you may not feel happy doing this. Otherwise just get in their with the WD40.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2013, 09:31   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Remove the prop & grease the propshaft with triple guard grease. Check the propshaft oil seal for fishing line. Remove the drain plug from the gearbox & check for water in the oil & metal particles on the magnetic drain plug. That's about it. If you want to dig deeper you can start removing the thermostat & checking the plugs, but if you're not having any problems I'd leave well alone. After you have flushed it through, remove the cowl & rinse the power head down with fresh water on a low pressure spray, I use the garden watering spray on the end of the hose. The Corroguard spray is the dogs for protecting the engine, best £10 quid you'll spend.

Thanks for the advice - just to clarify are you saying to change the lower gearbox oil ie when you say to remove the drain plug for the gearbox and check no water in the oil?
Old 10 July 2013, 09:35   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Remove the bolts that hold the gear box on one by one (including the one under the trim tab) grease them and refit. After three years they can seize and cause big headaches when a new impeller needs fitting...

Spray oil around the bottom of the engine every few months to prevent corrosion. The best way to do this is to remove the side cowlings but you may not feel happy doing this. Otherwise just get in their with the WD40.

Thanks Chris - just to be sure what you are suggesting: On the bolts I guess do one at a time in order to not completely remove the gearbox?

When you say spray oil around the bottom of the engine. Again I guess you mean the power head under the top engine cover cowl?

You mention removing the side cowlings are these the ones either side of the leg?
Old 10 July 2013, 09:39   #7

RIBase
Hi do you know where I can purchase Corroguard in the UK and hopefully post to France?
Old 10 July 2013, 10:05   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel52 View Post
Thanks for the advice - just to clarify are you saying to change the lower gearbox oil ie when you say to remove the drain plug for the gearbox and check no water in the oil?
No need to change the oil, just remove the lower gearbox bung just enough to allow a dribble of oil out & check the condition of the oil. If it's milky, or worse if water runs out instead of oil, then it's worth changing the oil. If it's clean, just replace the bung. If there is un-emulsified water present, I'd get the gearbox pressure tested.

Quote:
Hi do you know where I can purchase Corroguard in the UK and hopefully post to France?
You'd be better off sourcing it locally as posting aerosols can be awkward, it's a BRP part so any Evinrude dealer will carry it. If you get stuck I can post you a can out.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 July 2013, 10:10   #9

RIBase
Great I will try my local Evinrude dealer in La Rochelle. Also thanks for the offer ref posting and supplying. regards Nigel
Old 03 August 2013, 13:40   #10

RIBase
Have not managed to source Corroguard. If you sell it can I buy 2 x cans of it and let me know cost and postage if that is alright with you. Also the best way to pay you ie Debit card, Bank transfer or Paypal. We live near La Rochelle, Bois Plage en Re. (Fully understand if you are unable to do this easily as do not want to put you out.)

Many thanks
Nigel
Old 03 August 2013, 21:00   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Have not managed to source Corroguard. If you sell it can I buy 2 x cans of it and let me know cost and postage if that is alright with you. Also the best way to pay you ie Debit card, Bank transfer or Paypal. We live near La Rochelle, Bois Plage en Re. (Fully understand if you are unable to do this easily as do not want to put you out.)

Many thanks
Nigel
Pity you didn't tell me a week ago, I'm currently sat in Barfleur writing this, I could have brought it with me & posted it in France. I'm not a dealer, I'd just buy it & post it out to you, you can pay me by paypal if you like. There's an Evinrude dealer in Barfleur, I'll call in & see if he's got any whilst I'm here.
Old 04 August 2013, 07:21   #12

RIBase
Sorry with your knowledge of Evinrudes I had assumed you were a dealer. Really kind of you to offer, but please don't worry I will get the evinrude dealer on hauling islands to post me some. Hope you have an enjoyable holiday in barfleur. Best regards Nigel
Old 04 August 2013, 11:34   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Sorry with your knowledge of Evinrudes I had assumed you were a dealer.
Nah! don't be fooled. I make most of it up as I go along I've got to visit the local dealer anyway, I've just bust my killcord so I'm on my spare, I'll have a looky when I call.
Old 05 August 2013, 17:47   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Nah! don't be fooled. I make most of it up as I go along I've got to visit the local dealer anyway, I've just bust my killcord so I'm on my spare, I'll have a looky when I call.
Just been to Cotentin Nautic, they have the Corroguard on the shelf at 8.70 euro, I'm sure they'd drop you a can in the post:-

Cotentin Nautic
Old 05 August 2013, 17:55   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Just been to Cotentin Nautic, they have the Corroguard on the shelf at 8.70 euro, I'm sure they'd drop you a can in the post:-

Cotentin Nautic
I phoned my local Evinrude dealer in La Rochelle who is clueless and tried again asking for Corroguard and he said he had not heard of it and anyway needed the BRP number. I then contacted the dealer on Hayling Island where the engine came from who did not know it as Corroguard but could give me the BRP number. Then rang the La Rochelle agent up and he has ordered me 2 x tins in at 10.20 euros each supposedly to pick up Wednesday. They are clueless down here. Interesting when I need my 3yr service doing!!!!!!!!!!
Many thanks for your help.
BTW did you motor over in your RIB to Barfleur or drive on holiday? Either way enjoy yourself. regards Nigel