Old 06 September 2013, 10:11   #1

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Evinrude Etec 90 - Software?

I'm going to look at buying a used Etec 90 next week....
I know these are described as Marmite engines so please help me make my decision to buy based on facts and not hearsay.

Ideally, can anybody tell me about the Evinrude diagnostic/servicing software, would it be possible/useful to "borrow" a copy and any interconnecting leads?

I presume it can it be run off one of my laptops but what would it actually tell me?

Also if I had the serial number of the motor beforehand can I find out anything about the history before I go to view? Original supplying dealer, service history etc?

Anything common issues to look for in particular?

The motor is just within my limited cash budget, is out of factory warranty and does seem like a reasonable second hand buy.
Old 06 September 2013, 10:34   #2

Town: HL
Boat name: StormChaser
Make: Humber OceanPro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC 200HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
I'm going to look at buying a used Etec 90 next week....
I know these are described as Marmite engines so please help me make my decision to buy based on facts and not hearsay.

Ideally, can anybody tell me about the Evinrude diagnostic/servicing software, would it be possible/useful to "borrow" a copy and any interconnecting leads?

I presume it can it be run off one of my laptops but what would it actually tell me?

Also if I had the serial number of the motor beforehand can I find out anything about the history before I go to view? Original supplying dealer, service history etc?

Anything common issues to look for in particular?

The motor is just within my limited cash budget, is out of factory warranty and does seem like a reasonable second hand buy.

look at Owners Message Board

all your questions are answered several times there

https://www.hobbycaptain.at
Ferdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2013, 12:07   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
what year is the engine?
Is it a private sale or from a dealer? If it's from a dealer, ask to see an engine report, it is easy to get with the software & can be emailed as a PDF.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2013, 14:55   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi View Post
look at Owners Message Board

all your questions are answered several times there
Thank you for the reply, I have looked briefly on that US based site before. Trawled through the forum, followed the dead links for software downloads and found the cables offered are priced in $dollars that will take a week to get here. I watched the video's though which gave me the idea about using the software, hence the post!
I was really hoping for someone in the UK that had practical experience and could perhaps help me out with the equipment in time for next weeks viewing.
Plus any favorable replies would then be on Ribnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
what year is the engine?
Is it a private sale or from a dealer? If it's from a dealer, ask to see an engine report, it is easy to get with the software & can be emailed as a PDF.
Engine is 2007 being sold by a broker and as such "dealer warranty" is unlikely, he doesn't have an engine report but would be happy for someone to connect it up to inspect.
Old 06 September 2013, 18:14   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
if he is an authorised dealer he will have the software. how many hours has it got on it?
Old 06 September 2013, 19:06   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
if he is an authorised dealer he will have the software. how many hours has it got on it?
No as I understand it from the phone conversation this morning it's being sold by a marina acting as a "Broker" on behalf of a good client. As such the description is verbal and all details are to be confirmed before money changes hands.
It appears that the owner has not used it in a while and has now instructed the broker to sell it off. Hours are supposed to be low (aren't they always) and a lot less than the 300 before first service limit. I was hoping to go next week see it running on site and plug the thing into a laptop to verify. If it's OK I will probably buy it on the spot!
Old 07 September 2013, 05:03   #7

Hi

well if it was my money I would speak to an etec dealer and ask the following:

1: how much for a report inc hours and any fault numbers
2: how much to fit as these engines need to be " set up" by a dealer ( I would not bother as it is 6 years old and not under warranty)
3: How much for the 3rd service

as you say every engine has v v low hours , only been used in the sea once if at all ......

Oh and if you do get it to even a thousand hours please post the print out on here as I still have never seen or been told of one.

Dave
Old 07 September 2013, 05:55   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:

Oh and if you do get it to even a thousand hours please post the print out on here as I still have never seen or been told of one.

Dave
I have.

I fitted a ex sailing club 50hp to a Ribeye a couple of years ago. Had about 1100 hours on it. Never missed a beat and still going strong I believe.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/sunset-...als-40870.html
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2013, 06:57   #9

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Hi

2: how much to fit as these engines need to be " set up" by a dealer ( I would not bother as it is 6 years old and not under warranty)

as you say every engine has v v low hours , only been used in the sea once if at all ......

Dave
I am guessing you dont sell etecs then?
Old 07 September 2013, 08:57   #10

True but I dont sell new yams or suzi's either but I do see them with 1000+ hours on them (yams on a regular basis) but I have never seen an etec with a thousand+ hours on the clock.
Old 07 September 2013, 09:24   #11

Town: Liverpool
Quote:
True but I dont sell new yams or suzi's either but I do see them with 1000+ hours on them (yams on a regular basis) but I have never seen an etec with a thousand+ hours on the clock.
Maybe they're out boating about and not needing work doing?
Old 07 September 2013, 09:36   #12

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Dosent mean that they dont exist then.

As your website mentions servicing etc of yams, and other brands except evinrudes, I would have thought you dont get a lot of them in then?
Being a Yamaha service center (as mentioned on your web page) I would have though you get a lot of Yams in for servicing.

It a bit like a BMW garage saying he never get a Merc in that has more than 20K on the clock????

As the OP asked for facts, here is what I am aware of;

Fact. You can get the software on line (I got it from fleabay, all together with leads for about 100 quid) complete with service manuals etc etc.

Fact. With said software you dont need a dealer to set it up.

Fact. The software will tell you faults, running hours and a a bunch of other engine perameters such as max RPM, temp etc etc.

Fact. You can service the engine yourself with consumable parts, and a bit of knowledge, most standard tools, and time. As pointed oput if the engine is 6 years old it wont have a warranty (nor will any other engine!) so servicing can be carried out by yourself.

Hope you find that it is a good deal, and is i good condition.

Not sure if you can get the software quickly, but look at this ebay item number, will show you what it does....321155009186. If nothing else you may be able to sell the stuff on.....

I am not home till thursday next week, so couldnt help you out, but someone else may be able to.....
Old 07 September 2013, 09:56   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Good point Dave, so I checked to see if anyone else had seen a high hours etec.
Quick search on the etecowners forum found these.

Quote:
Posted 01/12/11 *#12*
2006 60hp E-tecs - one powerhead was shot after 3500 hours, the other had a gearcase & mid section*issue so I stopped running it. Recently sold it to another commercial guy who had a powerhead issue after about 2500 (so to replace his powerhead). I guess he had put another 1000 hours or so on it since.

2009 75hp E-tecs - powerhead issue at 1000 hours, the other still running fine with about 1500 hours on it.

Rec users really don't have to worry about hours with these engines.
Jorgeparagon

Posted 01/13/11 *#13*
I've gota a customer with 3000 (EMM issue,only)hours E-TEC '97 60 hp ,he will buy a new one in march.
See ya
I expect I will be putting less than 100 hrs per season on an engine so can look forward to 10 years use at less than £400/year depreciation?
So, back to the original question, can anybody help me out with the software and cable next week?
Old 07 September 2013, 10:10   #14

RIBase
Tonto's Post

Tonto,
Thank you for your post, that is exactly what I wanted to know.
I had looked on eBay yesterday and discovered similar listings. Some are really cheap from Croatia but not a single UK listing and time is against me.

Might just view it running and if seems OK see if the vender will take it too a dealer with me and go halves on an inspection.

I intend on servicing and maintaining any out of warranty engine myself, I have rebuilt many engines over the years, some of them are still running.....
Old 07 September 2013, 13:58   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Colcrete - you can assemble the cable, see here: E-TEC: EMM to Serial RS-232 Cable - Moderated Discussion Areas

I, um, know someone who can email you the diagnostic software
Old 07 September 2013, 14:33   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Colcrete - you can assemble the cable, see here: http://E-TEC: EMM to Serial RS-232 C...scussion Areas

I, um, know someone who can email you the diagnostic software
Thanks Willk spotted that last night, but don't have a serial port on my laptops so wondered if it would work through a USB-RS232 cable?
Re Software, see PM
Old 07 September 2013, 15:00   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
It's easy to solder the big fitting. You can use a USB converter cable (£3 on Ebay) to bridge the next gap to the PC.

You should have email shortly...

Old 08 September 2013, 12:23   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Hi

Dave
Sheesh? How come you only crawl out of the woodwork when there is an Etec question, which you obviously know bugger all about, but when someone has a problem with a Honda you are strangely quiet?

Colcreate, sorry I didn't get back to you, been busy this weekend on the Thames GRR, I'll sort out the software when I get home tonight.

PD
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2013, 17:24   #19

Town: Nijmegen
Boat name: Scary Canary
Make: home-built
RIBase
E-Tec Diagnostics example

For those who haven't seen one, here's an example of a history report from the E-Tec diagnostics software.
If the engine is running, you can see a lot more.

EMM time = ignition on time.

In my example, you can see that the engine has spent a lot of time at low RPM's, for longer trips because the average engine temperature is where it should be.
A boat used for fishing trips, with a lot of short hops between fishing spots will show a very different profile.

Especially the lack of engine faults is nice to see.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30 april 2013.pdf (25.6 KB, 228 views)
Old 09 September 2013, 18:38   #20

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplanning View Post
For those who haven't seen one ... If the engine is running, you can see a lot more.
I hope so as I still haven't seen one.

Did you forget to attach something? :-)