Boat name: Scary Canary
Make: home-built
Length: 6m +
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
I hope so as I still haven't seen one.

Did you forget to attach something? :-)
The "stationary" report is attached. I have not collected running engine data yet.
Old 10 September 2013, 18:07   #22

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Etec diagnostic from Round Ireland challenge

Here is a link to a diagnostic report for an Etec 90 fitted to a 5.4 Searider on the Round Ireland challenge.
http://www.etecownersgroup.com/file?id=1614794
(He wasn't racing!)
Old 10 September 2013, 18:29   #23

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
The REAL winner
Old 11 September 2013, 06:42   #24

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplanning View Post

The "stationary" report is attached
Attached to what? Nothing visible here ...
Old 12 September 2013, 19:25   #25

Town: Nijmegen
Boat name: Scary Canary
Make: home-built
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
I hope so as I still haven't seen one.

Did you forget to attach something? :-)
No, if I look at my 09 September 2013, 17:24 post there is an attached file: 30 april visible. If I click it, I can see my report: in PDF.
Here's the link directly to the file

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....7&d=1378747132
Old 12 September 2013, 20:10   #26

RIBase
Hopefully I will pick up the components tomorrow to make up some Etec diagnostic serial leads. Ended up buying a small bag full of connectors so might have to sell them off at some point.
Armed with that and a borrowed copy of the software I off on Monday/Tuesday to view an Etec 90....
Just hope it is worth the 4hr+ drive, but I'm prepared to walk away if it doesn't smell right!

Bit of an expensive gamble buying 2nd hand no warranty engine but at least I get to see the report which is more than I get on an old school motor.

Hope it fits in the back of my hatchback!

Any Evinrude owners/experts in the Dartford fancy a pint?
Old 12 September 2013, 20:23   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Look for EMM max operating temps. The EMM runs hot and is cooled by raw seawater introduced via very small diameter tubes. My REPLACEMENT EMMs never ran above 46 degrees when I owned them. The units they replaced had been run at up to boiling. At £1000 a throw, not something you want to happen...

Old 12 September 2013, 20:37   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Look for EMM max operating temps. The EMM runs hot and is cooled by raw seawater introduced via very small diameter tubes. My REPLACEMENT EMMs never ran above 46 degrees when I owned them. The units they replaced had been run at up to boiling. At £1000 a throw, not something you want to happen...

Thanks these are the tips I need to know!
Just looked at the emm temp on the round Ireland 90 report 170*F nearly the same as the max engine temp at 174*F
Is this good bad or normal ?

Might do a compression check if they let me, heard they should be 120 even.

Just found out there is no control box with it, will my Morse Type33 cable one fit?
Old 12 September 2013, 20:41   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Can't help any more than that, I'm afraid. You'd be remiss NOT to do a compression check.
Old 12 September 2013, 21:30   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Is there any chance of seeing it running? If so, run it with the laptop connected & ensure that it is charging, you will see "charging current" in the "monitor" page on the software. If the charging current is zero (assuming that there is a battery connected) the charging circuit is fried, walk away. Does it come with any warranty from the broker, even a couple of weeks will allow you to check it out.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 21:56   #31

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Is there any chance of seeing it running? If so, run it with the laptop connected & ensure that it is charging, you will see "charging current" in the "monitor" page on the software. If the charging current is zero (assuming that there is a battery connected) the charging circuit is fried, walk away. Does it come with any warranty from the broker, even a couple of weeks will allow you to check it out.
Broker selling on behalf of customer with too many toys so no dealer warranty. 2007 so factory warranty run out, lot less than 100hrs and never been serviced due to lack of use. Currently fitted to a speedboat, taken out of storage and confirmed will be shown running on hard standing. Broker is happy for me to fully inspect and plug laptop in while running. Intend on compression check and quick look at gearbox oil as well as general look and kick the tyres....Anybody want to put a value on the engine based on that description?
Old 13 September 2013, 08:49   #32

RIBase
No idea on value, but you are buying it without warranty & not water tested. Also 2007-2008 was the transition period where they changed the design of the injectors & went over to iridium plugs, I suspect this engine will be the older type, that said, if it runs ok there's no reason not to buy it if the price is right. Factor in £300 for a service, you could do worse than drop it off with Eddie at Beeston Marina in Nottingham on your way back up the M1, he's a sound bloke who knows his stuff & is an authorised Etec dealer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 13 September 2013, 17:14   #33

Town: Liverpool
Personally I'd be seriously wary of letting someone plug something of unknown heritage into an engine of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 13 September 2013, 22:32   #34

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkUK View Post
Personally I'd be seriously wary of letting someone plug something of unknown heritage into an engine of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
There speaks a bloke who is not familiar with what he speaks. You can't do any damage with the software, & the EMM will only communicate with what it recognises as legit.
Old 17 September 2013, 21:39   #35

RIBase
How did you get on Col?
Old 17 September 2013, 21:59   #36

RIBase
Quote:
How did you get on Col?
Not been to see them yet!
Unfortunately i have been taken into hospital twice this week and am waiting for a scan on Friday. The tablets i'm on have knocked me sideways, i missed this mornings dose just so i could drive to Barrowboy's house this afternoon! Great to meet with him but I was at the end of my pain threshold by the time I got back and that was less than an hour.
Im hoping friday I will be off the hard drugs and passed for driving again. So can make the trip 3hrs down south early next week. Brokers is OK with me at the moment so will just have to wait and see.

Got all the bits to build 10 cables this week so will see how they work! Cheaper to buy bags than individual bits.
Old 17 September 2013, 22:11   #37

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
It was great to see you Col but you really shouldn't have put yourself quite as far through the pain barrier as you did!

Look forward to meeting up on the water when you're all sorted....
Old 17 September 2013, 22:33   #38
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
There speaks a bloke who is not familiar with what he speaks. You can't do any damage with the software, & the EMM will only communicate with what it recognises as legit.
Well - you "can't" do any damage with the legit software but I guess Spark's point is software of unknown providence could potentially do weird stuff to engines and an anxious seller might be concerned that dodgy software might change settings on the EMM and cause a heap of issues. Personally I think its a low risk - unless someone is intentionally trying to screw you over.

However I would be a little wary of home built, untested leads. Not inconceivable that you fry either the laptop or the EMM (I say this with no knowledge of how complex the wiring is - but never underestimate the inability of the inept to cock things up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkUK View Post
That would depend how keen you were to sell it!
Old 18 September 2013, 08:39   #39

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Well - you "can't" do any damage with the legit software but I guess Spark's point is software of unknown providence could potentially do weird stuff to engines and an anxious seller might be concerned that dodgy software might change settings on the EMM and cause a heap of issues. Personally I think its a low risk - unless someone is intentionally trying to screw you over.

However I would be a little wary of home built, untested leads. Not inconceivable that you fry either the laptop or the EMM (I say this with no knowledge of how complex the wiring is - but never underestimate the inability of the inept to cock things up).

That would depend how keen you were to sell it!
There is only one software & that's the BRP Evinrude Diagnostics as supplied by BRP. There is no 3rd party software AFAIK. The difference between Legit & Illegit is that one is an original copy & the other is err a copy. You can't make any changes to the EMM that would harm the engine, any settings that you make for diagnostic purposes e.g. disabling injectors / ignition etc, revert back to normal as soon as the laptop is removed. The only change that you could make that would damage the engine is setting it to run on XD100 & whilst running it on TCW3 oil. You cannot change engine maps or update the EMM software without using additional hardware (bootstrap). The connection from Laptop to Engine is via RS232 serial over 3 wires, data up/down/ground. If the cable is wired incorrectly it simply doesn't work, no drama.
Old 18 September 2013, 09:09   #40

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Software and cable available from ebay £58

evinrude software | eBay