Old 30 December 2007, 05:29   #1

Town: Sothampton
Length: no boat
Evinrude Etec 90 2007 not starting

Hi

Having problems starting the above engine. Starter motor is working but engine refuses to start. Checked fuel lines, battery etc and all is OK.

Two days ago I started engine and left it at idle for approx 20 mins and then turned if off. Could it be fouled plugs?

Any comments much appreciated.

Mike

Old 30 December 2007, 05:32   #2

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Is there a problem with the emergency killswitch assembly/cord attachment?

Orve

Old 30 December 2007, 12:12   #3

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Its unlightly to be that ioled up on all four .Is the engine run in yet as for the first 10 hrs i think they inject double the amount of oil.I do have a new set of plugs in the garage that i will be selling if you ever want them.Is it still under warenty i see you said its 2007.It would have i think an electric choke so you must not use the throttle lever to start.If you remove the hood and turn the key but not turn it over you should here the whine(noise)it will make.If after being sure the cut off switch isnt faulty you can remove air intake cover and look to see if the butterfly flaps are covering the ports for choke position.Other than that i cannot think of anything else that wont start to effect any warrenty dont remove the plugs unless you know what your doing
Old 30 December 2007, 14:37   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Start at the beginning. Check it's got a spark. Then make sure that fuel is getting to it OK-is the primer bulb hard?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2007, 15:49   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
If you have checked the obvious then take it back to the dealer don't take the plugs out unless you know how to index them when putting them back in again.

Chris
Old 30 December 2007, 16:14   #6

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
This may sound stupid/ obvious but: I note from the profile "no boat" so did you let it run for 20 mins. with no water supply?
Old 30 December 2007, 18:02   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Whats the story about indexing plugs ??
its a triple not a four and Iam certain there is no choke butterfly as its fuel injection .

Take a plug out and see if its oiled up , do them one at a time then no problem of getting the leads mixed up .

Did you use the fast idel lever to start and run it . The dealer told me that lever should never be used unless you want to winterise the engine . Apparantly some owners have been used to starting other motors by opening the fast idle lever . That gives the ecu the idea you are about to winterise the motor and starts injecting extra oil.
Chances are its fouled the plugs .
Also iam told they don't like the cheaper oil at low temperatures and warning lights and limp home mode gets activated . Change to the posh oil and no problems .
Old 30 December 2007, 19:08   #8

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Ian, when you screw the plugs in each one must be tightened so that the electrode of the plug is in the right position. I think the way its done is to mark the plug with some tipex so you know when its in the right position.

An Etec should never need the fast idle or the choke to start. They are electronically controlled and as such should start first turn of the key even when cold. If its not starting and you have ruled out fuel blockages or kill cord problems then I would take it to a dealer.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Whats the story about indexing plugs ??
its a triple not a four and Iam certain there is no choke butterfly as its fuel injection .

Take a plug out and see if its oiled up , do them one at a time then no problem of getting the leads mixed up .

Did you use the fast idel lever to start and run it . The dealer told me that lever should never be used unless you want to winterise the engine . Apparantly some owners have been used to starting other motors by opening the fast idle lever . That gives the ecu the idea you are about to winterise the motor and starts injecting extra oil.
Chances are its fouled the plugs .
Also iam told they don't like the cheaper oil at low temperatures and warning lights and limp home mode gets activated . Change to the posh oil and no problems .
Old 31 December 2007, 14:35   #9

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ian, when you screw the plugs in each one must be tightened so that the electrode of the plug is in the right position. I think the way its done is to mark the plug with some tipex so you know when its in the right position.

Chris

Never heard of that Chris nothing in the manual Iam sure . I know the injectors are indexed to each cylinder and have thier own ID code but plugs .

Iam not saying you are wrong but where did the info come from ?
Surely you stand a veru good chance of overtightening the plug trying to get it rotated in the right direction . And if thats the case why didn't they use a multi electrode plug as the plugs used are fairly ordinary.
Old 31 December 2007, 14:53   #10

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Never heard of that Chris nothing in the manual Iam sure . I know the injectors are indexed to each cylinder and have thier own ID code but plugs .

Iam not saying you are wrong but where did the info come from ?
Surely you stand a veru good chance of overtightening the plug trying to get it rotated in the right direction . And if thats the case why didn't they use a multi electrode plug as the plugs used are fairly ordinary.
Hi Ian he is corect the electroed has to be between 1 and 3 oclock in relation to the injector and that is why you should,nt touch them unless you know what you are doing.It is very different to the older technology user freindly engines {carb)