Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 30 December 2007, 09:29   #1

Town: Sothampton
Length: no boat
Evinrude Etec 90 2007 not starting

Hi

Having problems starting the above engine. Starter motor is working but engine refuses to start. Checked fuel lines, battery etc and all is OK.

Two days ago I started engine and left it at idle for approx 20 mins and then turned if off. Could it be fouled plugs?

Any comments much appreciated.

Mike
Old 30 December 2007, 09:32   #2

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Is there a problem with the emergency killswitch assembly/cord attachment?

Orve
Old 30 December 2007, 16:12   #3

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Its unlightly to be that ioled up on all four .Is the engine run in yet as for the first 10 hrs i think they inject double the amount of oil.I do have a new set of plugs in the garage that i will be selling if you ever want them.Is it still under warenty i see you said its 2007.It would have i think an electric choke so you must not use the throttle lever to start.If you remove the hood and turn the key but not turn it over you should here the whine(noise)it will make.If after being sure the cut off switch isnt faulty you can remove air intake cover and look to see if the butterfly flaps are covering the ports for choke position.Other than that i cannot think of anything else that wont start to effect any warrenty dont remove the plugs unless you know what your doing
Old 30 December 2007, 18:37   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Start at the beginning. Check it's got a spark. Then make sure that fuel is getting to it OK-is the primer bulb hard?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2007, 19:49   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
If you have checked the obvious then take it back to the dealer don't take the plugs out unless you know how to index them when putting them back in again.

Chris
Old 30 December 2007, 20:14   #6

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
This may sound stupid/ obvious but: I note from the profile "no boat" so did you let it run for 20 mins. with no water supply?
Old 30 December 2007, 22:02   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Whats the story about indexing plugs ??
its a triple not a four and Iam certain there is no choke butterfly as its fuel injection .

Take a plug out and see if its oiled up , do them one at a time then no problem of getting the leads mixed up .

Did you use the fast idel lever to start and run it . The dealer told me that lever should never be used unless you want to winterise the engine . Apparantly some owners have been used to starting other motors by opening the fast idle lever . That gives the ecu the idea you are about to winterise the motor and starts injecting extra oil.
Chances are its fouled the plugs .
Also iam told they don't like the cheaper oil at low temperatures and warning lights and limp home mode gets activated . Change to the posh oil and no problems .
Old 30 December 2007, 23:08   #8

Ian, when you screw the plugs in each one must be tightened so that the electrode of the plug is in the right position. I think the way its done is to mark the plug with some tipex so you know when its in the right position.

An Etec should never need the fast idle or the choke to start. They are electronically controlled and as such should start first turn of the key even when cold. If its not starting and you have ruled out fuel blockages or kill cord problems then I would take it to a dealer.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Whats the story about indexing plugs ??
its a triple not a four and Iam certain there is no choke butterfly as its fuel injection .

Take a plug out and see if its oiled up , do them one at a time then no problem of getting the leads mixed up .

Did you use the fast idel lever to start and run it . The dealer told me that lever should never be used unless you want to winterise the engine . Apparantly some owners have been used to starting other motors by opening the fast idle lever . That gives the ecu the idea you are about to winterise the motor and starts injecting extra oil.
Chances are its fouled the plugs .
Also iam told they don't like the cheaper oil at low temperatures and warning lights and limp home mode gets activated . Change to the posh oil and no problems .
Old 31 December 2007, 18:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ian, when you screw the plugs in each one must be tightened so that the electrode of the plug is in the right position. I think the way its done is to mark the plug with some tipex so you know when its in the right position.

Chris

Never heard of that Chris nothing in the manual Iam sure . I know the injectors are indexed to each cylinder and have thier own ID code but plugs .

Iam not saying you are wrong but where did the info come from ?
Surely you stand a veru good chance of overtightening the plug trying to get it rotated in the right direction . And if thats the case why didn't they use a multi electrode plug as the plugs used are fairly ordinary.
Old 31 December 2007, 18:53   #10

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Never heard of that Chris nothing in the manual Iam sure . I know the injectors are indexed to each cylinder and have thier own ID code but plugs .

Iam not saying you are wrong but where did the info come from ?
Surely you stand a veru good chance of overtightening the plug trying to get it rotated in the right direction . And if thats the case why didn't they use a multi electrode plug as the plugs used are fairly ordinary.
Hi Ian he is corect the electroed has to be between 1 and 3 oclock in relation to the injector and that is why you should,nt touch them unless you know what you are doing.It is very different to the older technology user freindly engines {carb)
Old 31 December 2007, 19:02   #11
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Surely you stand a veru good chance of overtightening the plug trying to get it rotated in the right direction .
apparantly you buy enough plugs and swap them about untill you get a good fit in each hole... and then take the ones back that did not work out. did this last time and it all worked out fine.

Quote:
And if thats the case why didn't they use a multi electrode plug as the plugs used are fairly ordinary.
apparantly you are trying to use the electrode to sheld the rest of the plug from the jet of injected fule.

I am not convinced of this but have been told that you will have a lumpy tick-over if you don't do this, as I said not too convinced that the angle of a plug can make that sort of diffrence but for once did as I was told.
Old 31 December 2007, 21:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
apparantly you buy enough plugs and swap them about untill you get a good fit in each hole... and then take the ones back that did not work out. did this last time and it all worked out fine.

apparantly you are trying to use the electrode to sheld the rest of the plug from the jet of injected fule.

I am not convinced of this but have been told that you will have a lumpy tick-over if you don't do this, as I said not too convinced that the angle of a plug can make that sort of diffrence but for once did as I was told.

Sounds like rubbish to me . The fuel in any engine is mixed with air and atomised well before it reaches the plug . Most petrol injection engines dump the fuel in the inlet tract before the valve or port is opened so it gets mixed with the incoming air
leaving the plugs to dealer isn't really much good if you should need to change them at sea .
Removing one at a time and replacing it in the same cylinder will change nothing even if they are indexed unless you are a ham fisted idiot who torques plugs up like wheel nuts .
I would still like to know where this info is coming from , is it what dealers are telling people ?
Old 31 December 2007, 21:51   #13

Town: Essex
Boat name: Crooked Bow
Make: Zodiac Pro Open 550
Engine: Evinrude etec 115
Ian,
I am no etec or other such DI technology expert, however, from what I do understand it is fair to say they differ significantly from convention 4-stroke engines. They do not have inlet valves, cam shafts, exhaust valves.... The injectors directly charge the cylinders on each cycle and apply an atomised "spray" direct to the plug anodes for almost simultaneous ignition. I cannot comment re. previous discussion about the direction of the plugs, however, timing is critical for combustion in an etec (even more so than for a conventional 4-stroke). For example, at 5K revs the etec injectors are having to charge each cyclinder at a rate > than a 4-stroke running at 10K revs!! Furthermore, the charge "atomised fuel cloud" and ignition timing changes depending upon the state of the engine eg. tick-over vs wot. I guess the bottom line here is not to jump in and start playing around with the plugs unless you are clear from a dealer that this is okay. Chris is correct.....if the obvious have been ruled out then it is probably a trip to the dealer.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS. If you were unfortunate enough to need new spark plugs whilst at sea then it is fair to say you may have to get on the VHF and ask for a tow.........how many out there carry spare spark plugs??

Quote:
Sounds like rubbish to me . The fuel in any engine is mixed with air and atomised well before it reaches the plug . Most petrol injection engines dump the fuel in the inlet tract before the valve or port is opened so it gets mixed with the incoming air
leaving the plugs to dealer isn't really much good if you should need to change them at sea .
Removing one at a time and replacing it in the same cylinder will change nothing even if they are indexed unless you are a ham fisted idiot who torques plugs up like wheel nuts .
I would still like to know where this info is coming from , is it what dealers are telling people ?
Old 31 December 2007, 23:56   #14

Dave all you are describiong is the basic difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke
The etec is a 2 stroke ,
Ignition timing changes on all engines as the revs rise there is nothing new there .
Old 01 January 2008, 00:55   #15

Quote:
Dave all you are describiong is the basic difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke
The etec is a 2 stroke ,
Ignition timing changes on all engines as the revs rise there is nothing new there .
Ian do as you wish on an engine with a 3 yr warranty I will let the dealer sort my problems out.

Chris
Old 01 January 2008, 07:56   #16

http://forum.theoutboardwizard.com/t...ost?id=1493920
Old 01 January 2008, 10:49   #17
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Actually, in an etec or DI/HPDI engine, the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber rather than doing the usual-carb/inlet tract-crankcase-combustion chamber route that 2 strokes use.
I suspect that indexing is to help promote the correct distribution of the atomised fuel. At the pressures used for direct injection even a small irregularity (such as a -ve electrode) will make quite a difference to swirl in a combustion chamber.

Incidentally, once you remove a plug, the compression washer being squashed will mean that it may well not seal properly a 2nd time in the same position.

Old 01 January 2008, 15:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Actually, in an etec or DI/HPDI engine, the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber rather than doing the usual-carb/inlet tract-crankcase-combustion chamber route that 2 strokes use.
I suspect that indexing is to help promote the correct distribution of the atomised fuel. At the pressures used for direct injection even a small irregularity (such as a -ve electrode) will make quite a difference to swirl in a combustion chamber.

Incidentally, once you remove a plug, the compression washer being squashed will mean that it may well not seal properly a 2nd time in the same position.

Ok Mat I understand the concerns here but it would help if people could understand the reason and be able to take a plug out to check its condition .
All the plugs have a black line in the porcelain , I had wondered the reason for that . If you look at the plugs you can see the line without even removing the cap. they all do sit between 1 and 3 oclock in relation to the injector .

I understand what you mean about the washer being compressed and hence when refitted the plug may need to turn in a bit more , surely thats the reason we have 1to3 oclock to play with .

Knowing this there is no reason why the plugs can't be removed and refitted one at a time .
This thread started with someone with a non start problem , which we thought was probably just fouled plugs and that has to be able to be sorted without a trip to a dealer or calling for help.

where anything is different to the norm manufacturers always seem to say dealer service only , i feel in this case it could be simply explained with a short paragraph in the manual .
Old 01 January 2008, 16:26   #19
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Couldn't agree more!

Old 06 January 2008, 14:34   #20
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
Two days ago I started engine and left it at idle for approx 20 mins
Theres been a few cases of this with Etecs. They shouldn't be left on tickover in neutral for long periods and they shouldn't be revved above 1200rpm in neutral ever.

The brain shuts the engine down and the only way to restart it is after fault code clearance with a dealer computer. I did have the software on a palmtop to do this and it's supposed to be a retail item but you'll be lucky if a dealer will sell it to you.