Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 October 2013, 10:22   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Evinrude E-TEC 30 HP winterization

Hi all,

I would like to learn how to do it on my engine. I have a steering console with a throttle control on the side (nothing fancy, just very basic). I have been reading the winterization procedures and looks simple/doable and would like to give it a go.

However, before I attempt it, I have some questions and would like them answered before I do it:

1. According to the Evinrude winterization procedures, the engine must be in neutral position. My question is how is this possible? You have to push the throttle forward half way to start the winterization process but that will engage the gear, isn't it?

2. during the winterization process, will the propeller spin at all, hence it requires the removal of the propeller if doing on land?

I am very new to this and would like someone to guide me. Many thanks in advanced.
__________________

__________________
pleekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 10:44   #2
Member
 
Projectile's Avatar
 
Country: Canada
Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 254
Your throttle should have a button that is usually located in the axle of the throttle lever (the center point it pivots forward and backward around). If you press that button before pushing the throttle forward, it will not engage forward gear and it will just act as a throttle. FWD gear will not be engaged if you push this button before advancing the throttle lever, so the prop will not spin.

In the attached pic, the button I'm talking about it would be the silver circle with the squiggly logo on it. It is also shown in the video below. (Google and Youtube are your friends!)

Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 10:48   #3
Member
 
Projectile's Avatar
 
Country: Canada
Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 254
You have to do this with the engine in the water. Otherwise, you will need to provide water to the cooling inlets of the engine. If you don't you will damage your engine.
__________________
Projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 10:59   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
Your throttle should have a button that is usually located in the axle of the throttle lever (the center point it pivots forward and backward around). If you press that button before pushing the throttle forward, it will not engage forward gear and it will just act as a throttle. FWD gear will not be engaged if you push this button before advancing the throttle lever, so the prop will not spin.

In the attached pic, the button I'm talking about it would be the silver circle with the squiggly logo on it. It is also shown in the video below. (Google and Youtube are your friends!)

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if I have that middle button and need to go back and have on the side of the throttle. I am sure I don't. However, I have the button on the level where you have to squeeze to push forward or pull backwards. What should I do if I don't have that middle button? I believe when you push the throttle forward, you engage the gear and then increase speed later pushing more forward.
__________________
pleekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 10:59   #5
Member
 
Projectile's Avatar
 
Country: Canada
Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 254
These guys do it with an ETEC that has a tiller, but, importantly, they do it out of water. You'll notice that they have a hose that is feeding the cooling inlet at the bottom of the motor. Before proceeding, they "turn the water on".

__________________
Projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 11:02   #6
Member
 
Projectile's Avatar
 
Country: Canada
Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleekh View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if I have that middle button and need to go back and have on the side of the throttle. I am sure I don't. However, I have the button on the level where you have to squeeze to push forward or pull backwards. What should I do if I don't have that middle button? I believe when you push the throttle forward, you engage the gear and then increase speed later pushing more forward.
You must have a way to actuate the throttle without engaging the gear. Often these center buttons don't look like buttons. They might be solid rather than rubber and have a logo on them, so you wouldn't normally think that its an active button. Can you post a pic of your throttle lever set up?
__________________
Projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 11:05   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
You must have a way to actuate the throttle without engaging the gear. Often these center buttons don't look like buttons. They might be solid rather than rubber and have a logo on them, so you wouldn't normally think that its an active button. Can you post a pic of your throttle lever set up?
I will take a photo of my throttle control and attach it tonight. Many thanks for your help. I will try and press it on the side tonight and see if there is a button on the side. Many thanks for your help.
__________________
pleekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 12:26   #8
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
There should be a lever on top of the throttle control box which is the one you should use use , it revs the engine while the main throttle lever is in neutral.
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 15:01   #9
GED
Member
 
GED's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
There should be a lever on top of the throttle control box which is the one you should use use , it revs the engine while the main throttle lever is in neutral.
Correct Kerny my 30hp Etec has this throttle control lever for reving in neutral and I winterised mine last week using it
__________________
GED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 06:14   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Just an update folks. I managed to pull the lever out slightly so that it only "touches" the throttle and not the gear. So now, I can try winterizing soon.

Next question is do I need fuel stabiliser? How does it help?
__________________

__________________
pleekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.