Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Evinrude 70hp VRO

Hi,
I have just newly got an evinrude 70hp vro attached to a searider 5.4
I dont have a manual for it and wondered about what premix i should be using for it. i bought a little mixing jug but it seems to be for 50/1 or 100/1 so i'm not too sure what mix too use.....just dont want it to oil up while i'm ticking over....thought this would be a good place to ask.
I had the engine cover off and dont see a seperate oil tank for it....if there was one originally it has been removed. upon looking under the seat there seems to be loads of empty 2 stroke bottles so i am presuming that whoever used the engine did premix.
also i want to service it my self and wondered where i would get a manual for it ......also what parts do you normally change when you service your 2 strokes.

I also got a couple of yanmar tanks for it....although they are new and have never had fuel in them they seem to be classed as diesel ....is there any venting issues or anything i need to be concerned about? as i will be using petrol in them

cheers

Ian
Old 03 October 2007, 17:11   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
Hi,
I have just newly got an evinrude 70hp vro attached to a searider 5.4
I dont have a manual for it and wondered about what premix i should be using for it. i bought a little mixing jug but it seems to be for 50/1 or 100/1 so i'm not too sure what mix too use.....just dont want it to oil up while i'm ticking over....thought this would be a good place to ask.
50:1
Quote:
I had the engine cover off and dont see a seperate oil tank for it....if there was one originally it has been removed. upon looking under the seat there seems to be loads of empty 2 stroke bottles so i am presuming that whoever used the engine did premix.
It's very common for the VRO system to be removed as it got some very bad press and was blamed for a lot of engine failures with no real proof in most cases.
Quote:
also i want to service it my self and wondered where i would get a manual for it ......also what parts do you normally change when you service your 2 strokes.
Change plugs,check the timing,check all hoses and HT leads for cracks,grease everything that has a nipple and anything that moves,change lower unit gear oil(make sure you use the correct oil-it'll be in the manual), check/drain water trap and fuel filter,spray everything with quicksilver corrosion guard.
Quote:
I also got a couple of yanmar tanks for it....although they are new and have never had fuel in them they seem to be classed as diesel ....is there any venting issues or anything i need to be concerned about? as i will be using petrol in them
What are they made of and do they have vents?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 17:58   #3

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Thanks Nos42r ....the tanks are steel and do have vents

any ideas about a service manual

cheers

Ian
Old 03 October 2007, 19:09   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Tanks should be fine then. The service manual is either an ebay CD jobbie (the CD manuals are actually quite good), a seloc manual also on ebay or mail order the genuine one via a dealer.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote