Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 12 October 2009, 09:00   #41

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Badge technology - there may even be a FICHT or 2 in there.
Old 12 October 2009, 09:03   #42
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Badge technology - there may even be a FICHT or 2 in there.
Thank God, the thought of all those dead Etecs had upset me
Old 12 October 2009, 09:21   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
I don't know if it'll be any help, but I came across an American forum solely for E-TECs the other day. If no-one is aware of it, is it OK to post the link on here?
there is no problem with cross posting to other forums where more specific help might be found.
Old 12 October 2009, 09:50   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Well, if you're looking for spare parts......

....beneath the powerhead
Old 12 October 2009, 23:44   #45

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: under 3m
Engine: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
there is no problem with cross posting to other forums where more specific help might be found.
Hope this may be of use to some on here:

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/
Old 13 October 2009, 21:13   #46

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
To feel even better have a look here .
ETEC

Old 13 October 2009, 21:25   #47

Our old friend 'davidrmiller 100' has one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Evinrude-Ficht...d=p3286.c0.m14

Also available for viewing here:
http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread....ket#post167557

Old 14 October 2009, 07:06   #48

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Our old friend 'davidrmiller 100' has one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Evinrude-Ficht...d=p3286.c0.m14

Also available for viewing here:
http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread....ket#post167557

Hehe
Old 21 January 2010, 21:48   #49

Town: Cork
Boat name: Wave Dancer
Make: Excalibur
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboard 250hp
Evinrude Warranty What a Joke!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
Spoke with my dealer today and expressed my concerns my concerns about not being able to go boating.
I feel that he would like to get this problem sorted however with this being a manufacturing problem I will have to wait for evinrude to make a decision before I will know the final outcome.
Hopefully they will do the right thing and get my problem sorted so that I can feel confident to go boating with my family again.
My main dealer Marine Motors felt that the best way to get this resolved was for all parties envolved to have a meeting at the London Boat Show ( ie. Marine Motors, Evinrude/BRP, Myself and Excalibur Ribs the boat builder) as he felt that there was no point in talking over phones when there was an oportunity for us all to sit down across a table to come to some sort of agreement on my engine.

I informed my dealer that I as well as the boat builder would be at the boat show on both the Friday and Saturday of the first weekend. He then informed me that he might not be able to be there but that he would inform Evinrude that I would be there.

My dealer gave me the phone number for Mike Loach/Evinrude manager so that I could contact him when at the show to meet him. After several times trying to contact him and leaving him a voice message to contact me as I was at the boat show to meet him I had no reply!

It was only when at the show I discovered that Evinrude didn't even have a stand there! I was led to believe that there was a meeting arranged to sort out my problems. I went to a lot of expense getting both myself and my boat builder over from Ireland to stay in London and go to the show to resolve these problems only to find that no one else bothered to show up for the meeting.

The last time I spoke with Evinrude they told me that as soon as my warranty period was up they have no intention of sorting any issues or extending warranty! It now seems obvious that they have no intention of talking to me or returning calls to sort out problems with my engine even while inside warranty! My warranty runs out next month, I wonder will they be easier to contact then.

My Solicitor and Surveyor feel that as the engine is obviously not fit for the purpose that it was supplied that I should be returning it to evinrude.

The boating season is about to start and I still don't feel confident enough in the engine to take my family out. I just don't know what to do, but what I do know is that I could never recommend an evinrude to anyone as mine has been a disaster!

I wish I'd listened to my Boat Builder as he told me day one that from his experience the biggest problem I would have with Evinrude would be warranty issues and that he strongly recommended me to fit a Suzuki which would also have cost less money than the E-Tec.
Old 21 January 2010, 22:16   #50

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
My main dealer Marine Motors felt that the best way to get this resolved was for all parties envolved to have a meeting at the London Boat Show ( ie. Marine Motors, Evinrude/BRP, Myself and Excalibur Ribs the boat builder) as he felt that there was no point in talking over phones when there was an oportunity for us all to sit down across a table to come to some sort of agreement on my engine.

I informed my dealer that I as well as the boat builder would be at the boat show on both the Friday and Saturday of the first weekend. He then informed me that he might not be able to be there but that he would inform Evinrude that I would be there.

My dealer gave me the phone number for Mike Loach/Evinrude manager so that I could contact him when at the show to meet him. After several times trying to contact him and leaving him a voice message to contact me as I was at the boat show to meet him I had no reply!

It was only when at the show I discovered that Evinrude didn't even have a stand there! I was led to believe that there was a meeting arranged to sort out my problems. I went to a lot of expense getting both myself and my boat builder over from Ireland to stay in London and go to the show to resolve these problems only to find that no one else bothered to show up for the meeting.

The last time I spoke with Evinrude they told me that as soon as my warranty period was up they have no intention of sorting any issues or extending warranty! It now seems obvious that they have no intention of talking to me or returning calls to sort out problems with my engine even while inside warranty! My warranty runs out next month, I wonder will they be easier to contact then.

My Solicitor and Surveyor feel that as the engine is obviously not fit for the purpose that it was supplied that I should be returning it to evinrude.

The boating season is about to start and I still don't feel confident enough in the engine to take my family out. I just don't know what to do, but what I do know is that I could never recommend an evinrude to anyone as mine has been a disaster!

I wish I'd listened to my Boat Builder as he told me day one that from his experience the biggest problem I would have with Evinrude would be warranty issues and that he strongly recommended me to fit a Suzuki which would also have cost less money than the E-Tec.
You have previously mentioned or it may have been your freind that you have lost faith in the dealer. Have you tried taking the engine to any other dealer?

Its the dealer you need to have discuss the faults with BRP there is little point in you trying to deal with them directly as they will need a dealer to confirm what the problems are.

It was your dealer that suggested the meeting at the boat show then pulled out at the last minute, had you previously spoken to Mike Loach ? because I suspect that he knows nothing about this and I knew several months ago that BRP would not be attending the boat show so it sounds to me like your dealer is taking the piss.

It has already been suggested on here that you need to try another dealer and yet you don't appear to have heeded this advice.

Some of the problems you have mentioned such as a chaffing loom will be due to poor rigging so perhaps this is why your dealer is not to keen to take the issues to BRP as they will just bounce the claim back onto the dealer.Also if you are having repeat problems with oil seals etc then it does not sound like its been fixed properly. There are some really SHITE outboard mechanics out there

I have never had any issues with getting warranty work completed by my dealer in Taunton.

Whenever I see these kind of posts I am always suspicious of why people do not appear to be taking any advice but just continuing to bash the manufacturer in the hope of getting more warranty etc.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2010, 07:14   #51
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Whenever I see these kind of posts I am always suspicious of why people do not appear to be taking any advice but just continuing to bash the manufacturer in the hope of getting more warranty etc.
I'd agree with that and also never understand why people offering the advice keep trying to help those who can't be saved, but on the flip side if the dealer has sold a story of everyone meeting at the boat show and sitting around the table to sort it out you may feel it's worth a punt.

One thing for sure I bet he doesn't buy another Etec
Old 22 January 2010, 07:28   #52
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I'd get a new solicitor then! Your "contract" exists with the dealer not with evinrude - you need to return the engine to the dealer demanding a full refund/replacement as the goods are not fit for purpose. However its not quite as simple as that as you've "enjoyed" it for some time so the courts would deduct a proportion for this.
Old 22 January 2010, 07:59   #53

Town: Cork
Boat name: Wave Dancer
Make: Excalibur
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboard 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You have previously mentioned or it may have been your freind that you have lost faith in the dealer. Have you tried taking the engine to any other dealer?

Its the dealer you need to have discuss the faults with BRP there is little point in you trying to deal with them directly as they will need a dealer to confirm what the problems are.

It was your dealer that suggested the meeting at the boat show then pulled out at the last minute, had you previously spoken to Mike Loach ? because I suspect that he knows nothing about this and I knew several months ago that BRP would not be attending the boat show so it sounds to me like your dealer is taking the piss.

It has already been suggested on here that you need to try another dealer and yet you don't appear to have heeded this advice.

Some of the problems you have mentioned such as a chaffing loom will be due to poor rigging so perhaps this is why your dealer is not to keen to take the issues to BRP as they will just bounce the claim back onto the dealer.Also if you are having repeat problems with oil seals etc then it does not sound like its been fixed properly. There are some really SHITE outboard mechanics out there

I have never had any issues with getting warranty work completed by my dealer in Taunton.

It's not my intention to be bashing anybody but I have spoke to Mike Loach on several occasions and he is well aware of the problems I've been having with my engine.

As for taking my engine to another dealer the marine industry in Ireland is very small and Marine Motors in Cork is the only Evinrude dealer I know off although there may be one in Dublin but this is a considerable distance away.

BRP were not at the show but Mike Loach had been but didn't bother to return my call.

I'd love to be able to take some of the advice people have been giving but unfortunately I'm not in a position to do so as we don't have numerous dealers etc... I'm just very unhappy with my engine and the service I feel I've had. My dealer gave me the contact details for BRP and suggested i talk with them directly which I have done on numerous occassions but I still have not got the problems resolved.
Old 07 January 2011, 07:41   #54
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
So nearly a year on from the last post are you all still singing the Etec song, or is it a story of never again ?
Old 07 January 2011, 08:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
So nearly a year on from the last post are you all still singing the Etec song, or is it a story of never again ?
On a shopping trip?
Old 07 January 2011, 08:46   #56
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
still singing the Etec song, or is it a story of never again ?
Not the etec, it's the Johnson song. must get round to making an etec song actually
[YOUTUBE]d2gIdMRwfuM[/YOUTUBE]
Old 07 January 2011, 09:23   #57

Still loving mine done close to 200 hours now and still runs like a clock.

Just make sure it's rigged well and that the dealer is a good one. If you are doing it yourself then there are a few simple rules to follow that are all in the service book.

Born fiddler
Old 07 January 2011, 17:57   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Not the etec, it's the Johnson song. must get round to making an etec song actually
[YOUTUBE]d2gIdMRwfuM[/YOUTUBE]
Jesus you dont get much more redneck than that

Oh apart from this of course.

Born fiddler
Old 20 January 2011, 02:59   #59

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I'm partial to this one by Wendell Ferguson. Can't find a version by him though, so this will have to do.

Old 22 January 2011, 10:31   #60

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Diesel View Post
Saw this on an American Website.....

Mind you, I can't talk, I have a Yamaha 300 HPDI which has the worst reputation for blowing up.! Gulp.!
I remember that photo, if you look carefully they are FICHT's, they came off the back of a fleet of police boats in Florida iirc. They were at the end of their economic life & were replaced with Etecs.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote