Old 07 November 2007, 16:03   #1

Town: St James
Boat name: breezing
Make: atomix
Length: 8m +
Engine: 150 hp e tec
Evenrude E-Tec 150hp Counter Rotational

I hope this is not a silly question but I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

In my quickness to find a good deal on e-bay I feverishly bid and won at (very good price ) a used 2006 150hp E-Tec engine with about 100 hours on it.(or so it said) I now have it (have not had it fitted yet) and it looks in very good condition Everthing is as I had expected except I have now found out that it is a counter rotational engine.

This doesn't matter to me but what I want to know is that other than the propellor and gear box being a different set up and obiously the shaft spinning anti clockwise rather than clockwise will it make any other difference to the fitting or running of this engine.

It is being fitted as a single engine on an 8.2 metre Rib.Is there anything I should know.Any help or advise would be much appreciated !!!!!

Thanks !
Old 07 November 2007, 16:08   #2

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi

Should make no ods to you, just remember the engine will need offsetting to port (normally to starboard), the engine is just the same as normal, and you could change the gear box if you wish.

Hope this helps.

Jono
Old 07 November 2007, 16:18   #3

E tec

Hi Jono,

Thanks for that I was begining to think I might have "dropped a clanger" So the gearboxes are interchangeable then.Thats good to know

Thanks Again
Old 07 November 2007, 16:19   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
It is not a silly question. I have a single counter rot. 200 merc. On the merc the control cable for shift cable needs to operate in the oposite direction. This is clearly shown in the factory manual. Do not know about Evinrudes but it may be the same so worth checking. This change can usually be done at the control box. I would not bother about the offset issue on an 8 M. boat unless it turns out to be a problem. Mine is a 7M and positioned on centre. Hope this helps.
PS. Changing it over to standard rotaion is a major job as the complte guts of the lower end have to be changed, probably around 1K plus you need to buy a new prop. Do not be tempted to run it in reverse with a standard prop. as the reverse gear is not strong enough for this.
Old 07 November 2007, 20:04   #5

E Tec

Thank you Limey for your advice,I'm looking forward to launching her,just hope the second hand etec-performs as good as she looks !!!

I've seen mixed reports about e-tecs,but it is the obvious choice for me as the after service and parts availability is good on the Island (Barbados) due to a very good Evenrude dealer.There would be no point having an engine that I can't get parts for easily or serviced propally.

We used to use Johnson 4 strokes on our boats and they worked really well,never had any major problems for about 5 years of use accept injectors and at that time our boats were used commercialy.

Thanks again !!
Old 08 November 2007, 13:04   #6

Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezing View Post
IIn my quickness to find a good deal on e-bay I feverishly bid and won at (very good price ) a used 2006 150hp E-Tec engine with about 100 hours on it.(or so it said)

Check the model number closely or post it here. There was no 150 E-TEC with a 2006 model year.

A quick way to tell is if the motor cover has 2 or three latches on it. 3 latches, rear and two sides, is an E-TEC and 2 latches, front and rear, are a FICHT or DI engine.
Old 08 November 2007, 15:41   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Be aware that finding a good selection of props for a CR motor may be tough. Not an issue if you already have a prop that works acceptably, of course.

Other than that, shouldn't be a problem at all (unless the transom bolt holes were offset for a standard rotation engine.)

jky
Old 08 November 2007, 19:13   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Be aware that finding a good selection of props for a CR motor may be tough. Not an issue if you already have a prop that works acceptably, of course.

Other than that, shouldn't be a problem at all (unless the transom bolt holes were offset for a standard rotation engine.)

jky
But if you can find one on ebay you'll pick it up cheap.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2007, 20:20   #9
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
Check the model number closely or post it here. There was no 150 E-TEC with a 2006 model year.

A quick way to tell is if the motor cover has 2 or three latches on it. 3 latches, rear and two sides, is an E-TEC and 2 latches, front and rear, are a FICHT or DI engine.
So are you saying that there were no 150 E-tecs made in 2006? We have just bought a RIB with a 2006 Evinrude E-tec 150 HO on the back. It has E-tec on the hood and 3 latches
Old 08 November 2007, 21:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tue View Post
So are you saying that there were no 150 E-tecs made in 2006? We have just bought a RIB with a 2006 Evinrude E-tec 150 HO on the back. It has E-tec on the hood and 3 latches

Your 150 E-TEC would be a 2007 model year, not a 2006.

I'm sure you will find that the 2 letters just before the last letter on the model number plate will be SU.

SU designates a 2007 model.

SD - 2006
SC - 2008
Old 08 November 2007, 21:40   #11

E Tec

Hi Searhorse,

I checked the plate on the engine and it say july 2006,it has three engine cover clips the model is E150DCXSUF

Surely if it has 2006 stamped on the plate then this is what it should be.

However on checing the BRP Parts site you are quite correct this model is only listed as a 2007.What do you make of this !!!
Old 09 November 2007, 12:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezing View Post
Hi Searhorse,

I checked the plate on the engine and it say july 2006,it has three engine cover clips the model is E150DCXSUF

Surely if it has 2006 stamped on the plate then this is what it should be.

However on checing the BRP Parts site you are quite correct this model is only listed as a 2007.What do you make of this !!!

Here it is, still 2007 and for the past 4 months you can go to a car dealer and buy a 2008 model!

Same thing in the boat business, the new model year changes in July.
Old 09 November 2007, 20:37   #13

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Many marine motor manufactures no longer have actual model years. They list production dates only. They did this because usually the changes from year to year are incremental in nature unless an actual new design is introduced. They also did it so dealers aren't forced to take large markdowns on last years motors when there is no difference in the product. The only way to tell how new your new motor is by serial number and production date. It's not uncommon for a motor to be produced, warehoused six months or more before being shipped to a dealer. It's still a new motor.

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 09 November 2007, 20:40   #14

E-tec

Thanks Seahorse,I understand what your saying.Its a 2007 model then ,well that means I am even happier !!

Thanks also to everybody who gave me very good and helpful information !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!