Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 May 2014, 04:42   #21
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
So to sum up.

Lots of people appear not to like Etecs, but have no direct experience.

People who have owned them like them, but there are issues with electrics if not properly installed or maintained.

The broken saddle problem appears to be race boats (confirmed on Boatmad) with just 1 recreational failure.

If things go wrong out of the warranty, its expensive. Welcome to boating

So at the momment I cant see any reason to dismiss the Etec for our replacement engine, but the staggeringly light weight of the Yam 70 keeps jumping up at me
__________________

__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 04:47   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
So to sum up.

Lots of people appear not to like Etecs, but have no direct experience.

People who have owned them like them, but there are issues with electrics if not properly installed or maintained.

The broken saddle problem appears to be race boats (confirmed on Boatmad) with just 1 recreational failure.

If things go wrong out of the warranty, its expensive. Welcome to boating

So at the momment I cant see any reason to dismiss the Etec for our replacement engine, but the staggeringly light weight of the Yam 70 keeps jumping up at me
Its a dilema - down to personal choice and gut feeling
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 04:49   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
We have been running E Tecs on the club RIB fleet. I think we have 2 x 115's and 11 x 50's. We had some electrical issues with one of the 115's where the wiring had been routed badly around the engine by the factory and a wire got burnt and shorted. The others have been pretty reliable and are very punchy and responsive. They are very high tech and fiddly. You have to tell the computer which oil you are running and it adjusts the oil delivery to suit.
That said, we are going to ditch the E tecs apparently, because they wont allow us to buy the computer that would allow us to do our own maintenance on the engines. We have a very competent marine department and would have happily paid for them to go on the factory maintenance course.
Our local agents are rubbish and charge an extortionate price. So poor marketing and support strategy means
that they are going to lose a regular customer who will replace the engines every 3 years. Looks as though we are going Yamaha instead.
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 20:04   #24
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,948
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Make sure that the battery connections are always 100% and never run one with the battery disconnected. Never "switch" the battery isolator when one is running. The EMM is horribly sensitive and horribly expensive. All the rest is excellent! I had two of them and they were great.
The battery connections and switch problems are well documented and easy to get right. I would disagree with your statement of not running the engine without the battery though. It's one of Evinrude's selling points that they don't need a battery to run unlike four strokes. Even the top 3.4L big blocks can be pull started from cold with no battery connected......

Which makes it all the more surprising how easily the EMM fries with dodgy battery connections
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 04:10   #25
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Im guessing thats why the RNLI use yams and mercs/suzukis due to reliability etc.
That's possibly not very fair to the ETEC - the RNLI are unlikely to use it because the chances of restarting a capsized one will be very small - and they'll almost certainly get more of that type of abuse than an engine on a leisure boat.

Chances of a capsize kit/mod on an ETEC?!?
__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 04:40   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
The battery connections and switch problems are well documented and easy to get right. I would disagree with your statement of not running the engine without the battery though. It's one of Evinrude's selling points that they don't need a battery to run unlike four strokes. Even the top 3.4L big blocks can be pull started from cold with no battery connected......

Which makes it all the more surprising how easily the EMM fries with dodgy battery connections
I assume that the manual start option is designed for when your battery has gone flat rather than not running a battery at all? Without a battery in the system, I imagine there is a high risk of a power spike, that could fry the ECM? With a battery in the system, it will have a dampening effect.
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 04:52   #27
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Note re Optis, the 75/90/115/125 are the same block.

When you compare weight if engines you'll find brands use one block for a range if hp. So a 75 opti is likely heavy compared to other brands, but the 125, a very light bit if kit, if you get the jist.

We had a 90 on a 5.4, brilliant, though it did make the transom waterline low, but they are all like that. A 115/125 opti mmmmm

Benefit of Optis is the number of units sold way outstrips others like etec. They had problems at first launch in early years 2002 ish but they're resolved. That's the point though, tried and tested technology.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 05:32   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
We have been running E Tecs on the club RIB fleet. I think we have 2 x 115's and 11 x 50's. We had some electrical issues with one of the 115's where the wiring had been routed badly around the engine by the factory and a wire got burnt and shorted. The others have been pretty reliable and are very punchy and responsive. They are very high tech and fiddly. You have to tell the computer which oil you are running and it adjusts the oil delivery to suit.
That said, we are going to ditch the E tecs apparently, because they wont allow us to buy the computer that would allow us to do our own maintenance on the engines. We have a very competent marine department and would have happily paid for them to go on the factory maintenance course.
Our local agents are rubbish and charge an extortionate price. So poor marketing and support strategy means
that they are going to lose a regular customer who will replace the engines every 3 years. Looks as though we are going Yamaha instead.
I think there are unofficial sources of the software and cables?

Where are you based? Without wanting to "name and shame" I'd be interested to know which agent is not so good.
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 05:58   #29
Member
 
SteveHall's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,719
RIBase
Ive had a few issues with my etec, but been able to fix it myself at home.

Its never left me stranded and never let me down!

I love it though! I normally do lots of slow speed idle work but after the run at Easter with fresh fuel and plenty of WOT the power was amazing!
__________________
Steve
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
https://www.justgiving.com/blind-sailing
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 07:23   #30
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Benefit of Optis is the number of units sold way outstrips others like etec. They had problems at first launch in early years 2002 ish but they're resolved. That's the point though, tried and tested technology.
What? Are you saying E-Tecs are not tried and tested technology?
On a personal note, I've tried and tested mine for 5/6 years now without a glitch.
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.