Old 24 June 2007, 19:59   #1

Town: PA
Boat name: 450
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: etec 40
Etec type of oil

Got used Evinrude Etec 40. Don’t know much about previous use but runs fine and supposedly has low hours. Noticed small tag under the hood saying programmed to run on XD100 oil. Oil tank is full (from previous owner) with blue-green color but found a bottle of TcW3 oil laying in bottom of boat storage along with lots of other junk. So now have several questions about oil, short of making inconvenient and costly trip to dealer…

1. Anyway to tell if it really is programmed for XD100 and what are chances it would have the tag if not?
2. Anyway to tell what type of oil is in the tank and can even dealer tell for sure?
3. Should I suck the oil out and put in new to be sure its correct?
4. Engine has 1 small glitch, when starting for 1st time after trailering with engine tilted, the OIL alarm sounds, I wait 3 minutes then start with no problem and runs fine the rest of the day. Does not happen if engine just sitting normal in backyard with garden hose so may be related to oil in tilted engine needing time to adjust to normal gravity or some such crazy. Anyone else have this and anything to worry about?
5. I cannot find any instructions on change gearcase oil. All I see in manual and web is don’t need to do for 300hrs/3yrs. I’ve done for other motors so just wondering if its same 2 screws with vacuum type thing and trying to see exactly which 2 screews it is (bottom looks obvious but top one not so)?
Old 25 June 2007, 03:29   #2

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
XD100 in the tank looks blue green, but I don't know if there's any way to tell what's actually in there, other than siphoning it out, and refilling it. If the label is there, it probably IS programmed for XD100. Only a dealer can change the oil setting from XD100 to XD50. I would think that any dealer that changed it from 100 to 50 would have taken the tag off. Again, you need a dealer to verify the setting.

I'm not sure about the lower unit oil, but I would assume it should be pretty standard. For answers from the ETEC gurus, ask here: http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=51 Best ETEC info I've found, including several very experienced and knowledgeable technicians.

Oil alarm I think I've heard about on the BBC board, but can't remember the answer.