Old 21 July 2010, 07:32   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I can confirm no visible smoke on XD100 in my 90s.

Except when I ran one on XD50 settings with XD100 in, then it smoked a bit on idle/startup...
Old 21 July 2010, 07:38   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I can confirm no visible smoke on XD100 in my 90s.
No smoke with mine either.
I will add, putting an Etec into 'fogging mode' in a confined space will nearly kill you.
Old 21 July 2010, 08:04   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Mines on XD50 setting and I run that in it. The only time it smokes is after even a short period of 20+kts, after slowing down for a good 30 seconds of so there is a failry large plume of smoke coming from it. Probably just my driving though
Old 21 July 2010, 09:52   #24

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I have to say that i have not experienced any smoking from the engines at start up or any other time despite being set on XD50 and run on XD100.
Old 21 July 2010, 11:01   #25

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
OK a bit of a mixed bag then ... I've asked Roy what he thinks about oil and what the cost is from him so will see what he comes back with.

Thanks

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2010, 12:50   #26

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Mines on XD50 setting and I run that in it. The only time it smokes is after even a short period of 20+kts, after slowing down for a good 30 seconds of so there is a failry large plume of smoke coming from it. Probably just my driving though
That's not smoke its steam. If it its grey or black then its smoke and to be honest you would probably need to get that checked out by a dealer as it should not happen.

All E-tecs will send out a plume of white steam when they drop down to idle after a run.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2010, 16:00   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
It'd be interesting to know what the Evinrude take on this stuff would be, seeing as it's designed for using at 100:1

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ato.aspx

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2010, 17:37   #28
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's not smoke its steam. If it its grey or black then its smoke and to be honest you would probably need to get that checked out by a dealer as it should not happen.

All E-tecs will send out a plume of white steam when they drop down to idle after a run.
Um.. Right! Always willing to learn from others I will check it out further tomorrow when we set out on the first leg of our little week of cruising the channel islands
Old 21 July 2010, 20:17   #29

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Quote:
It'd be interesting to know what the Evinrude take on this stuff would be, seeing as it's designed for using at 100:1
I wouldn't think very much as that oil is a premix oil and etec's are not premix engines. The oil settings on etecs do not refer to 50:1 or 100:1 but to the evinrude oil types XD50 & XD100 and the ratio it is injected at is very dependent on how the engine is being used.

This oil is more suitable but I would still only use it on the XD50/TC-W3 setting.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/hpi.aspx

Keith
Old 28 July 2010, 08:26   #30
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwil View Post
I wouldn't think very much as that oil is a premix oil and etec's are not premix engines. The oil settings on etecs do not refer to 50:1 or 100:1 but to the evinrude oil types XD50 & XD100 and the ratio it is injected at is very dependent on how the engine is being used.

This oil is more suitable but I would still only use it on the XD50/TC-W3 setting.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/hpi.aspx

Keith
Yes, but I think you can still disconnect the oil system and run it on premixed should you desire. Just as many with autolube yams do/did. I don't think that it would be too much hassle.
Old 28 July 2010, 08:31   #31

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Yes, but I think you can still disconnect the oil system and run it on premixed should you desire. Just as many with autolube yams do/did. I don't think that it would be too much hassle.
I would imagine it would cause problems, as the engine managment system would put you in limp home mode.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 08:34   #32

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Yes, but I think you can still disconnect the oil system and run it on premixed should you desire.
I wouldn't. The Etec system apparently monitors load/revs etc and adds/reduces oil input accordingly. I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 28 July 2010, 09:09   #33

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
This would completely detroy your engine in a very short timespan. The E-tec has no ability to run as a premix, there are no channels in place for the oil to flow through in the way it used to on old Premix engines.

The old Autolube systems are completely different from DI technology, all autolube did was mix the oil with the fuel before then sending the fuel into the motor so no different to premix in that the fuel and oil were mixed.

On E-tec engines the oil is not mixed with fuel at any point but is injected directly into the bearings etc through all those little tubes running around the engine.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 10:23   #34

I have no intention of running my shiny new V6 as a premix, even my stinky old Johnson was more sophisticated than that

Old 29 July 2010, 11:09   #35
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I would imagine it would cause problems, as the engine managment system would put you in limp home mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I wouldn't. The Etec system apparently monitors load/revs etc and adds/reduces oil input accordingly. I wouldn't mess with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This would completely detroy your engine in a very short timespan. The E-tec has no ability to run as a premix, there are no channels in place for the oil to flow through in the way it used to on old Premix engines.

The old Autolube systems are completely different from DI technology, all autolube did was mix the oil with the fuel before then sending the fuel into the motor so no different to premix in that the fuel and oil were mixed.

On E-tec engines the oil is not mixed with fuel at any point but is injected directly into the bearings etc through all those little tubes running around the engine.
OK, I didn't realise that the fuel and oil were never mixed, shows how little I know about it all

I will try to keep shtum in future I think!!
Old 05 August 2010, 21:31   #36
RIBnet Supporter

From "The willkcraft Tours the Corryvreckan" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
There has been much said on here recently about XD100 usage. I've just replenished the oil tanks on the 90s and each one took exactly a litre. That litre ran the engine for 180.8Nm and was mixed with (approx.) 135L of petrol. I'll get a more accurate petrol figure when I refuel and will post it on this thread. It's a surprisingly small amount of 2 Stroke. We made the trip running between 3500 and 3900 RPM to extend our range/safety margin
FWIW, the oil reservoir on the 90hp is said to hold 2.4L, this gives a range of over 400Nm (434) on a fill, so my guesstimate wasn't too far off the mark. Stunningly frugal!
Old 06 August 2010, 00:07   #37

I missed that, ta

I think I will try it with the XD50 and see how it goes, but I will have the kit to adjust it and it may be just the excuse I need to buy a new netbook "Well dear, the thing is I absolutely need it for diagnostics on the boat"

So with twin 90s you are burning about 1.5L/nm in the cruise?

Old 06 August 2010, 09:04   #38
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I missed that, ta

I think I will try it with the XD50 and see how it goes, but I will have the kit to adjust it and it may be just the excuse I need to buy a new netbook "Well dear, the thing is I absolutely need it for diagnostics on the boat"

So with twin 90s you are burning about 1.5L/nm in the cruise?
About that, certainly not less than 1.4L/nm. The conditions were great so we kept the highest revs on that we dared, consumption wise. I had done the projected fuel use calculations based on a 1.5L/nm burn so didn't want to push much past that. Final figures when the petrol tanker calls

A note, the theoretical cable for the imaginary software comes with a serial connecter. You'll need a USB to Serial adaptor off fleabay (£5) to connect to a modern PC/laptop.
Old 06 August 2010, 10:28   #39

Ah ok thanks ... didn't know that, assumed it was USB, I will have to have a look in the local peasea shop ... for something I don't need

If I was going to buy something I have no use for, would I not need a 9 pin D connector, not need a 25 pin serial connector, or not need something else?

Old 06 August 2010, 15:40   #40
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Ah ok thanks ... didn't know that, assumed it was USB, I will have to have a look in the local peasea shop ... for something I don't need

If I was going to buy something I have no use for, would I not need a 9 pin D connector, not need a 25 pin serial connector, or not need something else?
You don't need one of these

If I had bought one, it would have worked perfectly, after I had installed the driver on the disk that would have come with it. The alleged software, were it presented with this rig, would recognise the presence of an adaptor but cope with it. I seem to recall from somewhere that it asks for a Comms port selection to be made - a POP anyways.

Incidentally, the same software that you don't have monitors the run in period and the adjusted oil delivery and keeps a great record of running revs and temperatures etc. It also can be used to directly control the "winterisation" routine, which is a plus.